Removing Boiled Linseed Oil... Redux

BusaDude

This didn't get much response in the general questions section, so I thought I'd try here...

I've searched the forum quite a bit and although there are many threads about APPLYING BLO, I haven't really found any that specifically address removing a BLO finish (and underlying stain) to get down to bare wood.

Will mineral spirits, turpentine, etc. dissolve the existing BLO finish to the point that it can be sufficiently wiped off? What about any stain already on the wood veneer? Any suggestions as to what would be the best product to start with? I'd like to figure out a way to get most if not all of the BLO and stain removed, without having to resort to heavy sanding.

The speakers in question are a pair of oiled oak Quartets that were sanded, then stained darker than original, and finished with BLO. There are two problems, (1) There are variations in the coloring with some areas darker than others and (2) there are a couple of spots that that feel different... not really tacky or gummy, but not smooth, slick wood either... probably caused by too much BLO being applied.

Open to any and all suggestions to get them back to original, or as close as possible.

Thanks...

Use chemical paint stripper, you can find it at any paint store. After you apply the stripper let it soak just until it almost starts to dry, then take a green scotch bright pad and scrub , repeat that until you feel it is removed, then whipe the cabinets down with mineral spirits until your rags come back clean. Let them dry for a week, then sand and re-finish, without BLO of course......2.gif