Now THIS is what I call seperates!

nicholtl

I am not surprised that somebody finally came up with a way to seperate the digital processor sections from the analog pre-amp sections. Seems to actuallyy make some pretty good sense. To bad it costs $10,000! Since I would eventually like to eventually replace the Denon AVR3802 that I am using as a pre/pro with a "real" pre/pro, this would be nice! But, at $10-grand, to rich for me, unless I happen to find one cheap on the used-market. I guess I'll stick with either looking into the B&K Ref 50 or the Aragon Stage One, both which I can afford.

And then there's this amp from CODA Technologies:

CODA Amplifier System MX - NEW

Premiere High Power Amplification System

Features

X 1200 Watts Stereo into 8 Ohms

2400 Watts Stereo into 4 Ohms

configurable in parallel arrays for higher power applications

(requires additional System MXi current amplifiers )

X Precision Bias Class A/AB operation

Class A operation to 200W,

sliding to Class AB operation at higher power levels

utilizing Coda's proprietary bias control topology

X All monoblock construction with 4 separate chassis,

providing separate voltage amplfiers (MXv)

and current amplifiers (MXi) for each channel

8kVA toriodal power supplies

w/400,000uf computer grade capacitance

per monoblock current amplifier chassis/channel

X FET input with bipolar current gain

X No overall feedback

X True DC-coupled design

X One Hundred Twelve 30 MHz output transistors

each rated at 15 Amperes and 200 Volts per channel

X Remote-capable balanced and unbalanced input selection

X Remote-capable true standby circuit

deactivates bias current in output stage

X Double-sided gold plated circuit boards

X 10 year warranty / 5 year transferable

Move over Krell. 1.gif

Tom

Heck, want more seperetes? I saw an amp that had the power supply in its own box. Don't remember were I saw it or who makes it, but I thought it was nuts. It got me thinking, ok, how do you seperate that more? My idea, One box with all your transformers, one with all your caps, and one with all your amps. And to break that down more, mono block amps. For 5.1 and Passlabs, that would be 10 peices just for the pre-amp and amp section. I bet others have broken it down more, but I think it comes to it a point where it just seems overkill.

CD

----------------

On 10/7/2004 11:19:15 AM cdsang wrote:

Heck, want more seperetes? I saw an amp that had the power supply in its own box. Don't remember were I saw it or who makes it, but I thought it was nuts. It got me thinking, ok, how do you seperate that more? My idea, One box with all your transformers, one with all your caps, and one with all your amps. And to break that down more, mono block amps. For 5.1 and Passlabs, that would be 10 peices just for the pre-amp and amp section. I bet others have broken it down more, but I think it comes to it a point where it just seems overkill.

CD

----------------

Of course, you gotta hook all those up with those fancy $10,000 pure-silver oxygen free magic cables.

I can see some benefit in isolating, say the digital from the analog circuits, from the power supplies, but geez, I wonder if there is such thing as "to much of a good thing" here. Then you gotta start stringing all those cables everywhere to hook everything up, which could be places to introduce noise into the systems, unless, of course, you get that expensive "magic" cabling. I guess part of it is the "coolness" of seeing a truly huge rack of all that shiny equipment!

i use nad monoblocks for all channels but the subs and built the whole system for less that a buddy of spent for a pair of the small mark levisons(sp)

he is also using klipsch and his does sound better(slightly) at low levels

but turn it up and the nad's blow the ML amps away!!

jay

----------------

On 10/7/2004 8:09:09 AM skonopa wrote:

I am not surprised that somebody finally came up with a way to seperate the digital processor sections from the analog pre-amp sections. Seems to actuallyy make some pretty good sense.

----------------

It made sense to me also, that's why I went with the McCormack pre-amp. Ofcourse the downside is I now have to upgrade my DVD player since it will be doing the decoding and bass management for HT.