My corns need HELP

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I had a bad day today, I felt queesy this morning, out of sorts. I went to work, had a rep in from New York who wanted to take me out, but I am on a special diet for low level diabetes. No can do, I tell him to take my ofice staff out instead. so far so good. I get a call from my wife telling me the tests came back from her father, positive for cancer, exactly 4 months to day that my Mom passed away. I get feeling blue. I have finally put the final pieces together on my 2-channel system. I decide to go home with some newly aquired music to listen to my system. I put together the Cradinal X1's with the APL sacd 1000, put in my new xrcd of Dire Straits Comunique, and voila, I get a buzzing in my right corwall. It seems to be coming from the squaker. I check all wiring, connections, ect and try again. I am still getting the vibration and break-up in the upper Bass and lower mids. The speaker seems to have a rattle. I take another pair of Cornwalls I have and DAMN if it's not teh same thing. I am so disgusted, I thought I could come home after a terrible day, and just chill into my music. No, it could not be that easy. No solace today. Maybe it's diaphrams I need, I dunno, I could really use some help here. Thanks for letting me vent. My wife and daughter just got home so I gotta run now. ttyl12.gif

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Smilin,

Try switching the output tubes in the amps and if the buzzing sound moves with the tubes from one amp to the other it is the output tubes. If you still have the problem in the same channel again try reversing the driver tubes maybe. If the sound moves then you know it is one of the driver tubes that is bad. it is a process of elimination.

If all stays the same it is not a tube problem but before thinking it is a cap try switching preamp tubes also if problem stays the same.

Finally if all tubes come out ok then you should take it to a technician for checkup.

sorry to hear about the diagnosis.

Your on my prayer list,

Bill

Guest Anonymous

It's not the tubes, or the amps, I tried all, the VRD's and The Cardinals, I am pretty sure I screwed them up myself by my impatience in switching between the cd players, I think I did not wait long enough for the amps to completely shut down when removing the cables between sources. My personnal screw-up. I really think I need new diaphrams for the squakers/and maybe the tweeeters too. Maybe I screwed them up worse than I think, or it might be simple, I just dunno. What I do know is this is a PIA and another project I did not want to do. Oh well, is there anybody in the Chicago area who is handy, has the parts and wants to help me?6.gif3.gif12.gif

Try to figure out if it's the midrange drivers or the tweeters. It shouldn't be that hard, just take your time. It's probably the tweeters -- the midrange drivers are pretty tough. All this stuff is pretty easy to take apart and work with -- you just have to DO it. Once you figure out which drivers are damaged -- remove them and send them to Bob Crites. Considering the age of the speakers -- diaphragm replacement was/is a good idea anyway. Oh, while your in there -- INSTALL THOSE ****ING NETWORKS.9.gif

This is God's way of forcing you to spend some time with your Wife -- she needs you.

----------------

On 10/11/2004 10:18:50 PM smilin wrote:

... Oh well, is there anybody in the Chicago area who is handy, has the parts and wants to help me?

----------------

I don't have the parts but I live in South Elgin and would be happy to help if I can!

smilin, if you have the alnico tweeters i'd say you may have blew one. these alnico's blow easy, i lost two in a short time. not sure ,but i think my son blew one with his rap he listens to while i was gone and the other i'm not sure how it got blown, just turned on the system one day and it was that way. i'm not a pro here, but i would agree, the mid's are hard to blow. if the tweets are at fault, you'll need to replace the diaphram, not a hard job. there was a tread on here telling how to do the job. i bought two diaphams and replaced mine and i'm no electrical engineer. all ya have to do is follow directions and do alittle soidering. dave

I have a different theory, I think it is the electricity source that may be causing your problems/noise. I would bet that the speakers are fine, I can however be wrong since I am not there to troubleshoot. It just seems too crazy that the problems persists with two different pairs of Cornwalls and different amplifiers. I think the problem lies with the power source, try a different outlet in a different room, just a thought!

Could be a faulty/intermittent interconnect as well.

The link above shows replacing the diaphragm in a K-77M with the plastic diaphragm mount. While that is possible, it was always intended that those be replaced with a kit that included the diaphragm pre-installed in the plastic diaphragm mount. These diaphragms kits are available as shown below. No soldering is required.

k77mkit.jpg

post-9312-13819258210804_thumb.jpg

Mopar---According to some very astute fellas at the Lansing Heritage board ANY blown Alnico magnet driver should be assumed to have a seriously weakened magnet; the strong field around a voice-coil in distress being able to cause a weakening of an Alnico magnet.

One fella there has re-diapahrahmed scads of blown JBL Alnico drivers and not a single one has measured with up to spec magnetic strength.

This leads to the disquieting conclusion that replacing the diaphragm alone in blown Alnico K-77 will not bring the units back to original performence and that remagnetizing is needed.

Note that Great Plains Audio remags ALL Alnico magnet drivers sent for repair as a matter of routine.

Alnico magnets loose strength from age and from mechanical shock. A large neodymium magnet just placed close to an alnico will also discharge it and can be then used to recharge the magnet to a certain extent. While it would be nice to have a re-magnetizer at home to restore the full charge to an alnico magnet, you can be sure that just replacing the diaphragm on one that was operating fine before the voice coil went out will bring it back to at least as good as it was before the VC went out. Of course none of this magnet strength problem exists in the newer K-77M tweeters with the ceramic magnets. They are almost immune to any of the problems of the alnico. Heat is about the only thing that can affect the magnet strength.

Bob Crites

BEC---Why can I be sure? Your assertion that the act of blowing doesn't weaken Alnico magnets runs counter to the experiences of some very astute folks at the Altec and Lansing boards, some of them theater and pro sound techs and contractors of formidable experience.

What leads you to believe they're wrong?

I'm not taking sides, just wonderin'. I don't know enough to make a strong argument. Personally I've never measured magnetic strength or frequency response of blown vs. repaired Alnico drivers. I'm just going by what some pretty sharp fellas have to say.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for all the input, now is there anybody around here who would like to make some extra money and work on 1 pair at a time to meake them the BEST they can be? If you are good at veneering I would love to have that done too.

5 matched corns updated with the right stuff, and sounding their best is what I really desire. The deal is, I have a business to run, and family to take care of, and a lack of time for all this fix up stuff. So either I need to find the RIGHT person to do this for me, or I will buy all new speakers.

I have spent enough $$$$ on the rest of my system, and I think I am happy with what I have....but I need the Speakers to be right. Without the proper speakers, I got dick6.gif so guys, who wants to get paid, well, and do a sid eproject on 5 corns?????????12.gif