Driver Size?

You'll never guess where my mind was when I opened this thread.

Returning from the gutter for a moment... Interesting how when I purchased my Heresy's (1981) I would have sworn the literature said they had a 10" woofer. Now I see all the info I find on this website says 12". The measured dimension seems to verify what is being said in this thread though. Has the way they measured the driver changed? Seems to me that I remember as a kid that the television industry suddenly changed how they measured the viewable surface of the television screen.

----------------

On 10/15/2004 12:03:20 AM cc1091 wrote:

You'll never guess where my mind was when I opened this thread.

Returning from the gutter for a moment... Interesting how when I purchased my Heresy's (1981) I would have sworn the literature said they had a 10" woofer. Now I see all the info I find on this website says 12". The measured dimension seems to verify what is being said in this thread though. Has the way they measured the driver changed? Seems to me that I remember as a kid that the television industry suddenly changed how they measured the viewable surface of the television screen.

----------------

when heresy first came out they were 10" woofers (i know that), later models of the heresy i think were 12". i don't know that for certain . i do know for certain the heresy II's have always been 12"

As was posted the outer edge of the frame.

Some 6.5 woofers have a larger piston than "larger" 8" woofers.The frame and sourround size will eat away at cone size(effective size of the speaker).Speaker comanies should start listing piston(cone)size,like Velodyne.

To me speaker size starts at the outer edge of the sourround,as some companies make very wide frame edges to max the specs and claim a 20" driver where its in reality a 18".Like Magnat

----------------

On 10/16/2004 11:43:23 PM ricktate wrote:

Im going to have to disagree with dantfmly about the Heresy woofer,,,,i think its been 12 inch all the time. We may need HDBR,,Andy to confirm this but i have seen some very old ones and they all are 12 inch woofers. Rick

----------------

i have seen heresy's for sale all over the place and the older ones always have 10" woofers in them. that is where i got that from.

----------------

On 10/16/2004 7:53:19 PM TheEAR wrote:

As was posted the outer edge of the frame.

Speaker comanies should start listing piston(cone)size...

They do indirectly. The effective piston area of the cone is Sd so solving for the diameter is then

d = SQRT < 4 Sd / pi> (where pi ~3.1416)

To me speaker size starts at the outer edge of the sourround,

That's how the effective piston diameter is defined which, as you point out does not correlate entirely with frame size (remember the Advent!).

as some companies make very wide frame edges to max the specs and claim a 20" driver where its in reality a 18".

That's why Sd is a better indicator, it considers the actual piston area of the cone, not the frame size.

Sd, Xmax and Fs determine the maximum linear acoustic power (Watts) a transducer is capable of achieving.

----------------