KLF 30 problem

mozdaman

Greetings,

I have owned a set of KLF 30's for about 10 years +or-. I absolutly love them. I bought them brand new. I just bought a new HT receiver. I was running through the test tones for set up and calabration and noticed that (1) of the KLF 30's had a very tinny (no low output) sound to it. I switched speakers and the same speaker did it on the other side. I have isolated the problem to the speaker. However, while playing a CD, I can put my ear to the speakers and individually here the tweeter, midrange and woofer producing sound.

Before I take it in for service, does anybody have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Mike

I must be a little slow of mind these days, because I can't figure out exactly what you did here.

Should we assume they both sounded O.K. before you swapped out receivers?

You "switched speakers" -- or did you flip the speaker cables (left channel to right speaker, and right channel to left speaker)?

I know what "tinny" means, but I don't understand "no low output" -- did you mean to say "low output"?

So, the drivers ARE working -- are you 100% sure you didn't lose just one of them? Do both the tweeter AND midrange driver sound like they are producing lower output -- or just one them. Turn the sound down on the channel while you checking this out. If it's just one driver -- then I'm wondering if maybe the screws have worked loose, and the horn has lost some of it's coupling to the driver.

At any rate, need to isolate the problem, and work from the simple to the more complex. Since there is sound, I doubt you are having a failure in the crossover, or the driver(s) themself.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you,

I am sorry for the previous explaination of my problem.

I think I have now isolated the problem. I really listened and compared the sound from all drivers in both speakers. I found that the tweeter in one speaker was very bright and loud and the other tweeter was almost non existant. It did however produce some sound but very faintly.

I switched tweeters between the speakers and the "problem tweeter" did the same thing in the other cabinet. It seems that I thought that one speaker was very bright (producing to much high freq.) when in fact, the other speaker was not bright enough (producing no high freq.....I feel pretty stupid at this point, but releved.

So, I assume that I have a bad tweeter, Do you know the process in getting a new one? It is a k-79-k #129012 with a date of January 21,1997.

You definitely want to check and make sure that you need the whole tweeter. It is much cheaper to change out the diaphragm then replace the tweeter. I had to replace a pair of K-77-k diaphragms last year and the two replacements only cost about $40.

I am all into saving some money and I am not afraid to do it myself. However I have a couple of last questions:

** when I take the tweeter physically apart, how do I tell if the diaphram is good/bad or if the entire tweeter is blown? Remember, I am getting a little sound (very faint)not hardly anything.

*** If it is the diaphram, Should I go ahead and replace the diaphram in the tweeter in the other speaker while I am at it? Will there be any sound quality advantages?1.gif

The normal problem with a diaphragm is an open in the coil wire. (Because it burned up.) On the pair I changed out last year you could see the fried wire. The real test is to measure the resistance of the coil. It should be something under 8 ohms. (You can do this at the connectors without tearing it up.) If you get infinite resistance then you know the diaphragm is bad. I am assuming you were getting a very faint sound while it was still mounted in the cabinet. My suspicion is that you were actually not getting anything from it and were just hearing the other drivers.

As far as changing both out I would. Not based on any firm scientific basis just on the hunch that whatever took out this one probably also happened to the other one. Since they are only about $20 each I would at least buy the second one to have on hand.

Hello again,

O.K. I removed both tweeters from both speakers. I ohmed them both out and they were within 1 ohm of each other 9+10 ohms. This is not with the greatest ohm meter.

I then took them both apart.

#(1)tweeter seemed to be fine. Not knowing what I am looking at of course.

#2 tweeter was sucked in twards the magnet and when I pulled it away from the magnet, it had a brown liquid on it as if it were melted.

** Should I now replace the diaphrams?

** Do the diaphrams come as a unit to include the cardboard piece and the connections from the crossover (Looks like one piece).

** Is it O.K. if some of the brown liquid from the melted one is down in the magnet>

With this, should I replace the diaphrams or do I need to replace the whole tweeter

1.gif

Wow,

The meter readings over 8 ohms sounds wrong but you also said the meter is not the greatest. If they measure the same then the problem is not what I suspected - a burned out voice coil. I don't understand the "brown liquid" but my instincts tell me this is a bad thing.

The diaphragms come on the carrier with the connectors on it so you just install the full unit - not a difficult operation. My concerns now would be with the "brown liquid". I would think that would have to be cleaned out before installing new diaphragms but that is a total guess on my part.

I think you are beyond my "barnyard mechanic" knowledge here so it might be best to wait until someone with more knowledge chimes in.