Scott 350B tuner on Audigon Mint in Box $350 OBO

robster

----------------

On 10/18/2004 7:56:43 PM InventiveAudio.com wrote:

Save your money and buy a satellite radio tuner. CD quality, no hiss and tons of content.

----------------

Have you ever heard a quality tube tuner like the Scott 350-B? If you did, you would never be recommending satellite radio. Satellite radio is nothing but compressed garbage, at least with FM there are still some good quality broadcasts.

BTW: There is little to no "hiss" using a Scott tuner. Armstrong designed FM and H.H. Scott was the first to implement FM MPX Stereo. I'd say they know a thing or two about tuners.

R. Inman

Tuners are, largely, novelty items to round out your system. I have a few on the shelves, one of which will go into my system profile when I get one that I can truly say that I listen to on a somewhat regular basis. Truth is, AM and FM are so plugged with ads that there is very little enjoyment in listening. I would rather hook up a PC to my system and enjoy what the internet has to offer despite the limited sonics. This is not a slam on even the highest quality of tuner, it's just that, like TV, most drive time stations in our area are nothing more than radio shows of old with adult themes and implement the power-down-after-sundown scheduling. Get a decent tuner if you really like radio. Otherwise, rig up your computer to your standard system and get ad-free radio with NO static.

Do you guys have satellite radio? Before I subscribed I read many posts describing a compressed signal and SQ that was a bit better then FM.

Not true, I just subscribed to Sirius and the SQ in my car is as clean and dynamc as CD's. The thing that surprised me most is the bass extension. Once you hear satellite radio you'll never go back to FM. The best part is the elimination of annoying commercials. Most of the content is commercial free with no hiss. In a home system maybe you could tell a difference between a CD and a similar broadcast on satellite. I don't know but in my car, on a good system, the music sounds wonderful. I'm a sound snob too. I find myself not listening to a lot of music because of bad recordings. In fact, most of my CD selection is being replaced with SACD and DVD-A because of the improvement in dynamic range and bass extension. My car deck is a Kenwood Excelon with Burr Brown DACS.

I have the Scott 350 tuner and I love it. Don't know how it compares to satellite radio but it's pretty impressive for 40 years old. I use it all the time, and people always comment on how nice it sounds. However, $350.00 seems high for one. I got mine for less than $200.00 and it doesn't have a mark on it. Good luck whoever goes for it.