Care for raw birch cabinets?

jheis

Are we really talking unfinished RAW birch speakers here?

Does any one really have totally unfinished wood speakers (besides me, but mine are "not-done-yet") for permanent display or use?

I would not think that it would be a good thing to have totally unfinished wood sitting around the house...asking for trouble, like little finger prints, water spots, etc.

DM2.gif

D man..

Contrary to popular belief I have my original 1978 heresies never finished.. no more than a dust cloth to clean em up ever. I happen I know my opinion is rare on here, but love the "unfinished" look like they were just made look. Like I said, my favorite La Scalas I ver saw were 5 yr old Birch raw never touched too... the look of them was spectacular!

To be honest most people do a terrible job of staining them IMO. There are a few, very few, who have great experience in doing them justice or right IMO.

In college some one, I still do not know how it was done, did like a 1/4 inch of clear lacquer like you would say at a countertop at hooters for instance. I am sure this took forever and to get the insides looking perfect, too, was just amazing. This kind of finish gives some cracks over time.. But overall, I found it to be really cool too.

Just variations of likes and dislikes.. That's what makes the world go round, you may hate these ideas and thats ok too.

As a side note.. The Heresies..again in 1978. Look brand new too. 26 years later.

Yes, I'm talking about unfinished RAW birch cabinets. They had, however, been lightly sanded by the previous owner. My Cornwalls and my other pair of Heresys have the oak lacquer finish. So, the unfinished birch plywood Heresys look pretty, well - unfinished sitting in the same room. Which is why I'm considering either tung oil or boiled linseed oil. I know that either one will darken the cabinets somewhat, but it would protect the wood and probably make them a closer match for the oak cabinets.

James

Just to throw my 2 cents in, I also have true unfinished birch LaScalas, they are a little dull from handeling, dust, and some small staining from items sitting on them. I purchased them from the original owner, they are dated 1985. The problem I have with them being unfinished is, the edges of the plywood are unprotected and will peel if caught on something like carpet. What I would like to have is mine sanded and finished with a dull clear coat that would look natural and still seal the wood and protect the edges. Has anyone tried a sanding sealer? I was told this would give the look that I am after. Would it be a thick enough finish to protect the edges from peeling?

Jack.