Finished KLF-20 center channel & KLF-10 for sale

Snails_Pace

Well, it only took me about 5 years, but I've FINALLY finished my home theater, HornEd-ized KLF-20 center channel and all! The fronts are now KLF-20s all across, and 4 KLF-C7s on the back and side surrounds. I had been using an unmodded KLF-10 simply laid on its side as the center channel, but the difference now having all the same drivers, and having the horns oriented for horizontal play, ,makes it just THAT much more of an incredible surround experience! For those of you on the fence about modding a full-range speaker to act as a center channel--all I can say is that you will NOT be disappointed. I had considered trying to make the motor-board myself, but I'm glad I went with a cabinet maker who just did the work for me. I did end up painting the whole thing, but found an incredible enamel satin paint that is a dead-ringer for the Klipsch's black satin finish. I was worried at first because the used KLF-20 I bought off eBay for this project was REALLY beat up--but after the paint dried, you'd be hard pressed to tell where any of the scuffs and scratches used to be. I'm glad I decided not to try a sheet or two of laminate to give the speaker a new lease on life (this was suggested by a couple of thoughtful posters on this board)--it may well have worked in the end, but I don't think I would have EVER got the finish smooth enough and the results using the paint were better than I could have hoped for! Anyway, I thought I'd post a couple pics of the speaker just before going live and one in its new home. The open-faced picture doesn't really do the finish justice...the flash made it look like there were several spots where unfinished wood was showing through around the corners, but the actual finish is matte black all across the front of the MDF motor-board.

BTW, if anyone is interested in upgrading their KLF-C7 center channel to a monster, full-range Legend center channel, I've also posted the KLF-10 I was using on eBay for a steal starting under $80--condition is about as factory fresh as you can get.

post-10314-13819259019258_thumb.jpg

Sweet!

Welcome to the custom center club. I used the midrange horn out of a KLF30 but went with the alnico T35 (aka k77) for the high frequency horn, woofers are from a RF7. Enjoy, makes a huge difference in dialog for movies and excellent center for music when playing dvd audio discs or sacd discs.

attached is a pick of mine

scooter

post-8797-13819259021638_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 10/24/2004 2:54:30 PM SCOOTERDOG wrote:

Sweet!

Welcome to the custom center club. I used the midrange horn out of a KLF30 but went with the alnico T35 (aka k77) for the high frequency horn, woofers are from a RF7. Enjoy, makes a huge difference in dialog for movies and excellent center for music when playing dvd audio discs or sacd discs.

attached is a pick of mine

scooter
----------------

Interesting mix of drivers, what kind of crossover network did you use--RF7, Legend, custom?

Snail,

Just "HornEded" a KLF-30 myself. I can attest to the blissful nature of a full range center speaker. Congrats on the nice job.

One question...would you mind sharing the info on the paint you used? A couple of my 30's could use some touch up...3.gif

Also, I'm looking for a KLF-c7 or two...keep me in mind when you are ready...2.gif

Thanks in advance.

I am planning on converting a KLF-20 into a center channel. One question I have is the bass ports at the bottom of the cabinets. Did you relocate them? Wood working is one of my hobbies and it would be no problem reproduceing / customizing the speaker cabinet.Would there be a sonic difference if the bass ports were balance one at the top and one at the bottom? What about porting to the front like the newer center speakers.

----------------

On 10/25/2004 5:34:08 AM redtop wrote:

One question...would you mind sharing the info on the paint you used? A couple of my 30's could use some touch up...
3.gif

----------------

I just lucked into the paint at the local Wal Mart--the cabinet was so badly beat up I figured anything would be better than nothing and I REALLY didn't want to try sanding down the veneer finish and re-painting. It's called Krylon Color Creations, Acrylic Latex Enamel Indoor/Outdoor paint, Black Satin (color code KDH5005). I swear, the new speaker's finish is a dead ringer for the original black satin paint on the other KLF speakers!

Captain--I honestly don't know what relocating the ports would do, if anything. I left them in place as I believe the other HornEd types have done. Part of the reason was that I didn't want to compromise the enclosure any more than it already had been by pounding off another side of the box; the other part was that it was just easier to leave the back panel alone. Sonically speaking, I don't think the location of the ports are as critical as the number, length and diameter, but someone more knowledgeable of acoustic design should probably chime in on that point.

Snail - Thanks for the heads-up on the paint at Walmart. Guess I was expecting something more exotic...2.gif

Captain - I agree with Snail on the ports question. 1 1/2 years ago I did my first "hornEd" center channel mod to a KG 3.5 It had a front port at opposite end of the speaker from the horn and woofer. When I did the mod, I was fortunate enough to have HornEd available to assist via e-mail. I asked him the exact question regarding port position. His opinion was that any effect from a move would be minor, if at all. Ports are "passive" after all and not as significant sonically as a woofer. I will say that the modified speaker sounded no different to me than the factory component positions when played by itself. However, when added to the L/R mains the seamless soundstage was fantastic.

When I did my KLF-30, I talked with Klipsch tech support and their answer was that "the ports just need to breathe(never blocked),remain their designed size, and the ports position has no effect on the sonics of the cabinet".

There are those here with more acoustical engineering background that may disagree, but I just left mine in the factory position. They sound just fine(very fine, in fact) to me...9.gif

Hope this helps.

Hey gang,

I'm currently purchasing (ie haven't picked up yet) a setup of 4 RB5's with KLF-C7 center. Sounds like a mis-match to me. Is there a mod to make this work? I think it would be major, locating metal cones to match the RB's and rebuilding the xover. Probably wouldn't be worthwhile. I do have a setup with Cornwalls, RC7, and RB3's, so will probably mix everything up.

Questions:

Would the KLF-C7 be a better match to Cornwalls than RC7?

If so, then I could use RC7 with RB5's for perfect second system.

Otherwise, may have the KLF-C7 for sale if anyone needs one.

• 8 months later...

Wow, it's nice to see Klipsch Forum Folk still paying attention to having the front center channel up to what it ought to be. While just living has been a challenge... and my Swiss Mrs. an ever unfolding joy... I have missed the pleasure of Klipsch Kompanions on this Forum.

The experimental, free standing, 30' yurt (which allows anything under 85Hz to escape into the forest) has proven a smashing success. With the addition of the X3 InFocus, HiDef, projector, the Mitsu 65" was retired to other, more prosaic, TV duties. The DVD player of choice has become a Pioneer Elite and the HiDef Viewsonic has become the interim TV tuner of choice. Front projectors are still not what I would hope they would be... at least in the "reasonable" price range... but the X3 with an appropriate supporting cast can do a great job in transition.

The pace and challenge of being alive in 2004 has not given me the opportunity of picking up the $1,800 of Klipsch I paid for... when I drove for hours to pick up the goods, the seller doubted the HornEd check... which he cashed with nary a problem. At least he now knows that HornEd is not only real... but so is his check!

For those who would like to see photos of HornEd in his "natural" habitat, got to lupin.com and on the initial "splash" you will find a composite photo of HornEd in his wedding Top Hat with his red headed Swiss Miss now HornEd Mrs.

At sixty-seven with the love of his life not yet 40, HornEd's life is higher than a horn tweeter on steroids.

There's a new, Klipschorn based, home theater brewing on HornEd's turf. With six matched Klipschorns (and a pair of Belle Klipsch for front effects speakers) and a subterranean cavern modified as an upscale subwoofer... be assured that HornEd has not yet joined the dear departed.

3.gif HornEd

Congratulations and welcome. I haven't been posting much in the past couple of years myself. Still running the KG 5.5s and waiting for a good donor 4.2 or 5.2 for a center. The 5.5/4.5 won't fit as they are too deep. I also moved to front projection. Got the Infocus 4805. Nothing better for the money. I love watching movies so much now!

T-man