About the Velodyne HGS-18

boa12

i currently use the HGS-15 & am considering taking it back for the HGS-18. the dealer gal's opinion is that 18" subs are to "slow" for music w/ say the rf-3 mains (which I plan to upgrade to the new rf in may). but anyway, though I don't want to lose anything on music, i'm really looking more for more SPL/slam for HT. any comments on the HGS-18 abilities for both HT & music?

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 speak wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

A pair of HGS 12's, 1 on the other, equal 1 HGS 15. If you spread them you won't even get as much bass as you currently have with 1 15". You can expect 4 DB more output from the HGS 18 over the 15. Seemingly double the bass. As for speed ??? I have asked this question before regarding the Velodynes with their unique voice coil and driver. I never really got an answer.

thanks for the input spider & rw, but i don't want to spend that many extra $ (for now anyway smile.gif i paid $1850 to the dealer for the 15 & like rw said the 18 would marginally be better, & cheaper than just the 2 12s. curious though, you'd have to run the 3 subs at once though right. or are u talking an a/b switch. i'm kind of a believer in keeping subs matched & i don't have the space

for 2 subs unless i stacked them anyway (by stereo subs i take it u mean 1 by each main speak though the sub outs are mono).

anyway thanks again spider, but my situation w/ the trade & space allows me to really choose only between keeping the 15 or getting the 18 for another $400. a remote possibility would be waiting for the rsw-15 but that's not til at least may.

be nice if i could hear an HGS-18, but for here I was hoping there were some 18 owners out there (I know i've seen a few).

& thanks for the db figures rw. rock on.

------------------

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

rock on!

that's what i'm thinking/hoping :} her trade-in policy seems to change daily. a lot of it rides on the dealer. in this case she makes some more $, but i have a feeling the rsw would cost ME. anxious to hear how that rsw sounds though. wish i would have known in early dec when I got the Vel. we'll see.

oh & rw, maybe you've already explored www.audioreview.com om the hgs-18, but there are some real +s there on the 18,12, &15.

1 guy says the 18 is very musical & makes a good point like all subs are slower than a tweeter anyway. i think the most musical subs are tight w/ little overhang. & the room positioning probably is a greater factor for musicality than the sub itself (as to the standing waves & such).

OK fellow bassers,why not.......

Bag End Infra-18 powered sub.$1500 in black.

Wide screen review says it's a goodie.

A friend has 2 of the external powered ones that have the ELF and QSC amp brided to 1000 watts.One will do,but these babies will move air.And they go very LOW.

They are in a K-Horn,La Scala HT room.

dman & steve, yea those both sound/look like great subs but i'm sunk w/ this dealer now & all they have are klipsch, vel & definitive &

some mac sub the size of a coffee table.

1 thing that takes the new rsw subs out of the running for me is that passive radiator.

subs/speaks w/ radiators or ports need to be placed about 8 in out from the wall from what

I hear, unless the radiator is on the side which I don't believe is the case w/ the rsw.

& w/ my space limits I need to push the sub right up against the wall.

------------------

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

rock on!

I think the pr was on the front actually, and the ative driver was in the rear. The driver probably needs a good 4 inches or so minimum, but unless you want to knock your house over, 8 inches is probably right. FYI, you could place an RSW side-ways against a wall, w/drivers firing parallel to the wall.

yea dman or could cut a hole in the wall since there's an empty closet behind there, but have to think about the home resale value there smile.gif thought about running the sub parallel to wall but figured there's more bass reinforcement w/ the back to the wall.

I did see your point Spider.

I on the other hand didn't think that he would have anything to gain with 2 12's when his 15" is musical and that was not the concern. I know that some like mono bass in stereo but Boa's main concern is to gain bass where lacking and unless the 12's where stacked (non stereo?) he would loose bass where he has enough (musically) and then he would still have to look at yet another sub when there is already a lack of room for his HT concerns.

I have thought of adding another sub myself, keeping my HGS for music and adding a dedicated HT sub. Your suggestion on the 16-46 is one that I have considered myself and even better 2 of those hooked in a push-pull will deliver your stereo bass(?) and cut distortion in half. If kept near eachother they will also provde a 6 DB gain over just the one. This could possibly even eliminate the need for the Velodyne's music only use with the cleanliness of the dual subs in a push pull configuration. I think it would take 2 or more 16-46's to match the HGS 18's output though.

when u guys talk about having a sub for HT & another for music, are u talking running all subs at once or turning one off for the other

(then i guess a sub remote comes in handy). i haven't even begun to consider 2 different subs for fear of low bass conflict. i think/hope the hgs-18 will move a lot more air & give me that extra slam. but the 15s aren't bad, i just want more. then if i ever get more space i may pick up another 18, which by then will probably be at clear-out prices.

I am new to the board but not to Klipsch. I have been a Klipsch owner for 20 years. I have a fresh approach to your subwoofer problem. For years I figured the guys who make the powered subs for a living know best. Trying to make my own sub/amp combo I figured would be a disaster and then I wouldn't be able to sell it. After 20 years this is what happened a week ago.

I have a pair of Khorns with Belle in the center. Meridian 565 processor and Bryston 4B STs for power. I can take the horns to clipping and you know the room is LOUD !! I had (heavy emphasis on HAD) a Velodyne ULD-18 II and an FSR-18 in the room. I tried them individually and together. I couldn't get the low end on par with the power of the horns on low-mid/mids and highs. The bass was only ok. Movie tracks, special effects, music whatever. I want to feel the room "lock" with bass when the time comes so I took a new approach.

I bought a JBLPRO twin 18" sub and a used Crown K2. Total around $2200. I've got quality bass and quantity way above what I had. You guys could try a single 18" and get that system for around 1500 bucks total. I'm pushing 800 sq ft in my theatre so I needed the double. You can't go and really audition this but you've got to believe this 225 lb. speaker with 2500 watts mono will do the trick. I'm really trying to open your eyes to see what I missed for years.

BTW. I've owned Cornwalls, KG 2.5s, KLF-30s, Belle for center, Khorns, 5.5s, Forte, and maybe even a few more. I'd love to see one of you guys try this setup. The crown has a damping factor of 3000. Don't let the boutiques tell you about the fancy amps like the Bryston. They're great, yes. I've got 3, but the $700 I paid for the Crown is my best investment yet. I can't say what it would sound like on the left/right channels though.

Cat, yeah, I've often thought that the best way to match high-efficiency speakers is to just throw a ton of moving surface area at it, as opposed to extreme PR alignments and such.

I've been thinking for awhile of building sonotube subs, and now of buying an RSW-12 or 15 or a Velodyne, but I keep coming back to just, say, 4 15" Lambda Acoustics in two sealed boxes. Or maybe one of those below-resonance deals like the Bag End is, but with more surface area and power.

Charlie

welcome to the kbb cb. that sounds like a sweet bass arangement. my problem though is the space & the dealer (which in effect means

I can get a velodyne or a velodyne smile.gif

i did get a chance to talk to the 50 yr vet tech @ velodyne again. he's a definite audio

purist (former bass player in the 60s or before), but basically says he would use only

a HGS-18 or 2 CT-150s from vel to go w/ any klipsch (not just the k-horns). the reasoning is that klipsch are loud (efficient) whereas the hgs relatively are not - sealed boxes & the servo (guess that explains why it seems a lot of folks on this bb have their sub outputs @ noon or higher).

also explains why klipsch is putting the radiator on the rsw to increase the efficiency & the SPL to match their speaks.

sorry if i'm telling anyone something they already know. looks like I have no choice but to exchange for the 18 so i'll let u know how that extra 4db or so sounds.

------------------

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

rock on!

oh & on the slower speed of an 18 vs a smaller cone (rw), the tech guy says that's a myth (1 of his pet peeves). you'd have to talk to him about all the technicals on that.

basically an 18 is louder w/ less distortion but not necessarily "slower". after talking w/ him (he's the PR director for vel), i can see now that when people say a sub can't keep up w/ klipsch it's not really in speed but in loudness (notice how the issue comes up all the time w/ khorns which are the most efficient). i'm no EE, but unless somebody can show me a hand-held transient reponse meter for the home, i'll call speed a subjective measure. smile.gif

Let me know what you think of the 18" Boa. I am wanting to sell my 12" and replace with an 18" myself. I doubt that I will (wife factor) but I just might after paying down some of the debts and thanks on the solid info regarding the woofer size.

On the thought of adding a second sub for movies. Only one would play during music and possibly only the other one for movies.