About the Velodyne HGS-18

boa12

will do rw. should be about 2 wks. if your your mrs. likes the 12, she'd have to really love the 18. of course there's that extra 1k

or so though smile.gif but u have to get the 15 or 18 to get the standard remote which you'll need for the switching between HT (w/ your new rsw-15) & music smile.gif wonder how an HGS-18 & the rsw-15 will sound together/maybe just about right...

>>>Your suggestion on the 16-46 is one that I have considered myself and even better 2 of those hooked in a push-pull will deliver your stereo bass(?) and cut distortion in half.<<<

I wouldn't worry much about *stereo* bass in the bandwidths usually associated with HT subs(<80hz)

THD won't be cut in half at any given level. It may be reduced by 20% at a moderate volume level(if the 1st sub isn't working too hard--it wont produce much THD to begin with.)and it may be reduced by >50% at more common DVD listening levels.

>>>If kept near eachother they will also provde a 6 DB gain over just the one. This could possibly even eliminate the need for the Velodyne's music only use with the cleanliness of the dual subs in a push pull configuration. I think it would take 2 or more 16-46's to match the HGS 18's output though.<<<

Well, a dual 16-46/700w amp package = $1375ish delivered...less than half the retail on a HGS18.The dual SVs wouldn't have much more *footprint* than the single VEL...although we'd be much taller if that's a factor. Dual 16-46s should be at LEAST the equal to the hGS18...I'd think we'd have a(t least) 50% clean output advantage <50hz.

TV

rw, the 18 arrived today! man what a monster! don't realize how much bigger in size it is til it's sitting in your living room. it is the definitely the ticket already. much more impact - very noticeable.

yet still just as tight as the 15 & even seems "quicker" - don't let anyone tell u an 18" is "too slow". it's the loudness that counts & the added db blends perfect w/ those loud rf-3. when it burns in a lil, I may even up the output from 3 to 5 smile.gif

interesting w/ this unit, w/ the output control all the way down, it does nothing. thought it was DOA. but as soon as I moved the control just like one notch man did it come to life.

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 speak wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

>>>wondered about that "stereo" sub concept.

anyway, hey tv. what are the placement recommends for your powered subs - specifically, the distance from wall if any?<<<

I usually suggest corner loading for all subs. Perferably a corner near the key seats,without any adjacent openings nearby.

>>>Is a 50% advantage about 3 DB? Regardless that is a great price for that kind of output TV.<<<

Yes, 50%=3dB. I agree, good cost/performance ratio.

>>> I sure do like your informative feedback exspecially since our moderator was taken hostage.<<<

Probably getting ready for the rollout of the new Klipsch woofs---a madman R/D-ed them ya know. They should be great!

TV