Better in the dark

Myhamish

Yes, lights off, chair in sweet spot, nobody home, hopefully late afternoon or night, no distractions.

Total bliss.

Being surrounded by cool, expensive gear makes it even better.

I cannot listen to music in the middle of the day when people are home (except headphones) - just bothers me.

Also, I really get taken in by music and I really put all my energy into it. Kinda like driving a car at the limits, you are 100% driving, and NOT listening to the radio, talking on the phone, etc. - you are just driving (or just listening to music)

Actually wrote part of an essay on this for a college english class!

----------------

On 10/31/2004 1:49:18 PM marksdad wrote:

yes indeed, i made this exact post maybe 1 year ago, it is the cheapest tweak there is, but better than closing your eyes is to turn off the lights after you are set to go, depriving the other senses makes your auditory senses just come alive, its great! that is why sounds seem louder when you are walking alone at night as well, happy halloween

----------------

I live in New York. The things that I encounter the LEAST on Halloween are SILENCE and DARKNESS. I think we are indeed a city of vampires.

I remember a few years ago at night I would start up the CD, turn off the light and listen to my music. I liked looking at all the lights my system made. My parents just found it strange for me to listen to music in the dark. I to did notice it sounded better, but couldn't figure out why. Glad I am not the only one who did and thought this,I don't feel strange about it anymore.

CD

Late at night, when the outside noise floor drops, turn out the lights, adjust the volume to the point just below the level which you hear your"room", kick back, burn one, let the layers of the soundstage come to life with insturments extending out into the air in front of you, hear the drummers kick drum articulate though the bass guitarist standing in front of him, to the left a little, let the vocalist walk about the stage........Gotta go grab a record to spin.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 10/31/2004 9:41:41 PM fini wrote:

Well, it all sounded so good, I thought I'd give it a go. Once I tuned down the lights, I couldn't find the stereo. Thank God my wife came home or I'd still be fumblin'.

----------------

nice, did you stub you toe too?2.gif Sounds better when the electricity is pumped right11.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 10/31/2004 9:41:41 PM fini wrote:

Well, it all sounded so good, I thought I'd give it a go. Once I tuned down the lights, I couldn't find the stereo. Thank God my wife came home or I'd still be fumblin'.

----------------

nice, did you stub you toe too?2.gif Sounds better when the electricity is pumped right11.gif

----------------

On 10/31/2004 9:55:07 PM smilin wrote:

nice, did you stub you toe too?
2.gif
Sounds better when the electricity is pumped right
11.gif

----------------

Don't joke like that. Once, while mostly asleep I ran my foot into the wall of the bathroom in the dark. I wound up fracturing my little toe! Yes, don't laugh - I managed to fracture (with a decent 4mm displacement) my little toe. And if you think it's funny, just think how annoying it would be to spend a month having your toes taped together (cause that's the treatment for it). It wasn't displaced enough for them to care about putting it back, so they just let it heal that way. Now I have a slightly crooked toe. : )

This is weird...at home I close my eyes in a darkend room to enjoy a CD of symphonic music, to be able to capture the realism of the performance and the hall in which it was recorded in. Just like everyone else here, so we are on the same page.

Okay...at an actual concert or recital, I cannot close my eyes and be able to enjoy the realism of the actual event before me. I have to have my eyes wide open to be able to watch the musicians perform on their instruments. During a live musical event in the actual hall or church, the only way for me to be able to totally enjoy the experience is to be able to watch it, and to observe each musician play their individual parts.

Am I totally nuts or what?3.gif