Gotta start some where - 1st post

Black7

As per the subject, I'm new to the Klipsch arena but have always admired this companies products (although from afar).

I recently patched together an entry level (older) setup including KG 3.5's, a KV-2, and SS1 surrounds. All used stuff but it suited my budget.

I very happy with what I'm getting for my dollar other than a mild concern with the 3.5's being a bit boomy - Here's a little about the set up...

1) I have them about a foot from the wall (not in corners and they can't be placed in corners due to room restrictons).

2) They have not been modified

3) Using an Onkyo 701 receiver and Denon 2900 multi player - playing mostly CD's and SACD's

4) This set up is for both my music and A/V needs

My question is can I do any modifications to the speakers (fronts) to help reduce the boomy base or is this just the nature of the speaker? When I say mod's I mean anything from Xover upgrades, internal wiring, or dampening.

I searched but there is little out there that relates to my modest little set up. Any help, feedback, opinions, would be much appreciated by this newbie!

thanks - great forum BTW

Welcome to the forum! I would tend to suggest that the boomy bass response is more due to the acoustics of the room, and dimentions, rather than a frequency response anomaly in the speaker.

If you are interested in improving the acoustics of the room, you might seek out the archetectural section of the forum. The thread entitled " arrto's klipschorn room " deals with many different aspects of acoustics, and he is an archetect.

Black7,

Nice first post! Welcome to this mess!1.gif I'd agree that you need to experiment with speaker placement and room modifications first. Not only is it cheaper, but it'll probably fix the problem...

Stands? I never considered stands on a speaker over 30" high - I assume you are referring to isolating the speaker from the floor in order to tighten up the base? Is there any truth to the claim that this helps? - I've also heard of people using spikes for similar reasons although I've never been able to understand how spikes, or stands for that matter, would help if the floor was solid to begin with. Can anyone elaborate a bit nmore on this?

Once again, thanks for the feedback

I was thinking the 3.5s were smaller, try dampening your back wall behind the speakers with cheap egg crate mattress foam, also keep them away from the corners. Also you could try adding rope caulk,a pea sized ball, stick it to the dust cover of the passive radiator this will mass load the passive, resulting in damped bass.

Hi, sounds like a nice system. Corner placement will only make the bass boomier. How far apart are they? Toe-in?

Are you sure all drivers and the cabinet are OK?

Try a sock(clean)in the port. If you can pull them out any further, it may help. Maybe lessen the bass with tone control or by-pass to reduce output.

Thanks for all the great feedback! Much apreciated! I'm still messin with placement and it looks as though I have to move them further away from the walls - my problem is I can't pull them out any more than a foot without infringing on space - although they sound better further out. Is there anything I can do behind the speaker if I were to leave them one foot away?

I would think that some absorbing material or room treatments, bass traps, and/or wall panels could help to adjust the room a little. I think that every room needs at least some to sound good. Beware, because this stuff gets spendy real fast if you buy ready-made products.

DM2.gif

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search?q=AURALEX&d=tp

I always recommend the Auralex Roominator Alpha 1. In your case, you might want to check out the Auralex ATOM-12 System instead.

You mention boomy bass...walk around the room and see if it's boomy everywhere you go. Is it possible to move your main listening position? I think that if you threw a pair of bass traps behind your speakers that a lot of the boominess will go away.

Another thing you can try doing is making your speakers more rigid. When playing bass heavy music that you think is boomy, walk up to the speakers and feel if the cabinet is vibrating or not. If it is, you might consider putting weight on top of the cabinet or getting some spikes for the floor. The reason spikes help is that it distributes the weight of the cabinet over a smaller area which then helps the cabinet to couple to the floor better. If you don't have carpet, then you might try some felt pads. There are some people that will go so far as to bolt their speakers to the floor.

Adding weight to the speakers is something I never thought of and would be easy to try. Not that I'm looking for the easiest fix but it would be nice if that was all that was causing the problem. Spikes is another good idea (and so are all the other suggestions you have been good enough to mention) - I have a lot of things to try at this point - I'll report back for those that are curiouos - thanks again.

Moving the speakers out from the wall will increase the soundstage and decrease the bass. The same applies to the side walls. There is a magic point that you must determine, but start at 18" and go out to see what sounds the best.

Spikes will also improve the bass response, it will make it sound truer. Not very difficult to do, just a drill and an allen wrench.

Not to solve the bass problem, but you could also replace the capacitors in the speakers. It will improve the mids and highs more than anything else, especially if they are older speakers.

Good luck.