acoustech speakers

tglahn17

Don't even bother with those. Those speakers are made by BIC, who even though they have no business relation with the pen company, their quality has a lot in common. The review site that you posted has been analyzed in the past and everyone came to a couple conclusions:

1) That guy is not a professional reviewer. There is a very good chance he may have been paid of by the company to write that review in order for BIC to sell more speakers.

2) Those are the first and last pair of speakers that have been reviewed on that site... sounds a little strange, no?

Anyway, my best advice to you is spend the extra money for quality. You said you have a nice set of tubes to drive your speakers, so therefore why not just get the good stuff now so you're not itching to upgrade later?2.gif

It was recently brought up in the Home Theatre section in this Acoustech Speakers thread. I'll just cut and paste my reply here... (it's the third time i get to recycle my reply 2.gif) whether for home theatre or 2 channel, the comments still apply.

----------------

On 10/28/2004 9:53:25 PM formica wrote:

The specs BIC posts simply don't jive... and they share nothing in common with the Klipsch speakers. I'll just quote my last post...

----------------

On 10/24/2004 10:50:24 PM formica wrote:

The
are without a doubt very different from the Klipsch Reference series, which their promotional text aspires too. Having the same colour woofers do not make them sound similar. The colouring, even in the Reference series, is much more about marketing than performance.

These seem to aim the RF-25 Ht setup with dual 6-1/2 woofers, which according to their ad saves you a whopping 225$?? Without doing a numerical analysis, the BIC enclosure size is much smaller... almost 40% smaller... yet they still manage to have a better (only according to their data) bass response... extending 10Hz lower. They obviously don't pretend to use the same components.

As stated by Hoffmans iron law; efficiency, bass extension, and enclosure size are mutually exclusive interrelated factors. In other words, improving performance in one will decrease performance in the others. Yet BIC has managed to SIGNIFICANTLY improve enclosure size (it's smaller) and bass response... but defied physics by only loosing a SINGLE db of efficiency??

Another item that jumps to the eye is the LARGE port in the front of the enclosure. The larger the port, the longer it needs to be to achieve a tuning. Given the enclosure is only 8" deep... I'm really unsure how they managed to tune it to the 35Hz range??

These are obviously very different speakers, with their own sound and questionable specs... but share nothing in common with the Klipsch Reference. The way I see it... you could be comparing the latest Toshiba or Sony or even TheatreResearch speakers, selling for only 225$ less.

Where are those yellow B?LL$HIT buttons when you need one? Can someone post an image for me here?

----------------

At 225$ less expensive than the target Klipsch product... I honestly think the BICs are WAY over priced!!

Later...

Rob

----------------