Wanting to ADD On a Sub, Onto my ProMedia 5.1 Ultra. Which sub should I get.

Net

Hey, Ive got a question. Im wanting to get a new Sub, Just to add on to my current ProMedia 5.1 Ultra. And im just wondering, If I get a new sub, will I have to get an Additonal AMP? Or will it come built in like on the ProMedia 5.1 Ultra. Also, I want a Sub That Hits extremly Hard, and hits that ultra low frequency that makes u dizzy. Any sujustions?

----------------

On 11/1/2004 3:56:43 PM Net wrote:

Hey, Ive got a question. Im wanting to get a new Sub, Just to add on to my current ProMedia 5.1 Ultra. And im just wondering, If I get a new sub, will I have to get an Additonal AMP? Or will it come built in like on the ProMedia 5.1 Ultra. Also, I want a Sub That Hits extremly Hard, and hits that ultra low frequency that makes u dizzy. Any sujustions?

----------------

first most subwoofers have amps withing them. If not you need to buy the amp. Second extremely hard? usually it is refered to as "the punch" and that is not deep bass. the punch is 120 to 50-60 hertz. Low frequency is like 40 and below. Too bad the ultra amp can only manage to goto 25 hertz with a major loss of power. The Ultra subwoofer is a good multimedia sub but does not hold any ground to true subwoofers. Also any suggestions you ask, give me a price?

$200.00 - $350.00 USD. Im looking for that Punch. But I want both that Punch and the Extremly Low bass. The low bass im talking about that vibrates your ears. Im just looking for another sub I can plug into the back of my current ProMedia Ultra 5.1, cause i know nothing about speakers. Im a computer guy....into Overclocking, Watercooling setups....TEC's...etc. But I want something better than the sub on this Ultra 5.1, any sujustions?

Well if it were up to me I rather get a low hitting sub and equalize the hell out of it to get the punch from it as it is almost impossible to get low hitting sound by equalizing it as it will most likely distort. BTW I see your a computer guy and probably brought these speakers because they are the best computer speaker 2.gif. But with the price range your not giving me alot to work with. The klipsch rw 8 and rw 10 I do believe fall in that price range but it is rumored that the rw10 is equal in output to the klipsch ultra subwoofer. But maybe you can raise the price up a little more to get say get a svs pb-10 isd? there some info here http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=56081&sessionID={553A47C9-9187-4210-9A23-CF810A0CC966} or since you are a computer person maybe you make take pleasure in building a subwoofer, as in that link the man says the titanic 10" subwoofer kit is good for under 500 dollars. But the thing is it is a kit and you need to build it but most of the hard work is done, all you need to basically do is glue and screw 6.gif3.gifhttp://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3 here the website for that. but there is a fully assembled one but it is expensive and shipping is a *****. Hope this gives you some direction

aight sounds good, thanks for the info. But can you just get me a link to lets say an Extremly badass Sub that I can just plug in. Cause I dont have time for other custom Projects being in ITT...i get plenty of them. Lets bump the price up to $500.00 or so. What Can I get for that, Give me the best Sub that is Plug and Play like im asking for up to $500.00

----------------

On 11/1/2004 5:54:28 PM Net wrote:

aight sounds good, thanks for the info. But can you just get me a link to lets say an Extremly badass Sub that I can just plug in. Cause I dont have time for other custom Projects being in ITT...i get plenty of them. Lets bump the price up to $500.00 or so. What Can I get for that, Give me the best Sub that is Plug and Play like im asking for up to $500.00

----------------

The PB10 may not be the best solution to add to your ultra. It does not have a crossover control, so the subwoofer will be hitting pretty hard around 150hrz creating some nasty overlap with your sats. The lack of crossover control really limits you with this subwoofer in your special situation. It would be advantageous to go with a more expensive sv subwoofer or consider another brand.

Just a thought. I'm curious how those using home theater subwoofers for computer setups can operate the two in the same room together. If I had my computer in even an adjacent room I would be afraid it could be permanently damaged from the quaking. I would probably not recommend the PB2's just for, firstly, the possible damage to your computer unless located on a solid concrete floor; and two, because I can't see how you could properly employ a large sub to compliment the promedias unless the gain was very, very low. Maybe I'm underestimating the promedia's abilities, but as it is my Klipsch Reference and Synergy home theater floor-standers can be out-done by the SVS's ability.

Does that make sense? 4.gif

----------------

On 11/2/2004 2:10:10 PM CAS wrote:

...because I can't see how you could properly employ a large sub to compliment the promedias unless the gain was very, very low. Maybe I'm underestimating the promedia's abilities, but as it is my Klipsch Reference and Synergy home theater floor-standers can be out-done by the SVS's ability.

----------------

I agree w/ this sentiment. If someone REALLY wants to go get a PB12-ISD strictly for a computer sub, more power (literally) to them. I really don't think the gain is going to be justifiable in this case. First of all, SVS subs are known for going deeeep, not slam. (I realize the starter of this thread requested deep bass, but I doubt if he/she has ever heard anything below about 50Hz.) Secondly, as pointed about previously, only about 10% of this sub's output is going to get used.

If you REALLY want to improve the bass in the way you described, I'd look for a KSW-12 or an RW-10. The latter may very well be more than you're willing to spend, though.

Finally, I have a question about this, how are going to hook this thing up to your Promedias? Are you going to use speaker level connections or does that sub have a pre-out allowing you to make a line level connection?

John

----------------

On 11/2/2004 4:55:41 PM yromj wrote:

(I realize the starter of this thread requested deep bass, but I doubt if he/she has ever heard anything below about 50Hz.)

----------------

I didn't think of that; it's probably a true statement that he's never employed a large subwoofer if the upgrade is from the promedia ultra. Unless my computer was conected to my home theater far in another room, I wouldn't want my flat panel and delicate CPU be devastated by a 20 Hz transient at 120dB.6.gif

I would say KSW-12, RW10 or maybe maximum...25-31 pci or pb12-isd with these two manufacturers.

----------------

On 11/3/2004 12:16:53 AM xcjago wrote:

The Ultra sub can play strongly to <35hz.

----------------

MAYBE w/ room reinforcements. If you include those for that sub, you'll need to include them for PB12-ISD and it's going to down almost another octave below that. I'd really like to see a plot of that sub hitting 35Hz, too.

John

"I doubt if he/she has ever heard anything below about 50Hz.) "

Actually in a small room with "room reinforcements" it can play to a solid 28-29 hz with hardly any loss.(-3dB)

It can also belt out 110dB at 35hz in my room with ease thats also without correction numbers from the radioshak meter. with "room reinforcements"

----------------

On 11/3/2004 11:10:04 AM Swerv wrote:

"I doubt if he/she has ever heard anything below about 50Hz.) "

Actually in a small room with "room reinforcements" it can play to a solid 28-29 hz with hardly any loss.(-3dB)

It can also belt out 110dB at 35hz in my room with ease thats also without correction numbers from the radioshak meter. with "room reinforcements"
----------------

If this all the case, then he doesn't need a new sub. In fact anyone looking for a new HT sub at a bargain price ought to consider one of these. However, there's much more to a sub's output than an SPL reading at a (supposed) single frequency. For example, you can't tell how much of that output is THD or the pure tone w/ just your ears and an SPL meter.

John

The Promedia Ultra sub is very strong down to 31.5hz, from there it drops, but it has decent output thereafter to 28-29hz. Below that, its not going to do much, altohugh there is a tint of energy at 25hz, which is remarkable since no other MM sub is close to that..but its really not useable at all.