This is not a political post

damonrpayne

I think we can all agree:

One good thing about these ultra close elections we are having now, they've made a lot of people get out and vote. I grew up hearing every year that only about 42% of eligible Americans get out and vote. CNN and my local news channels are estimating that more like 89% of the eligible voters will have cast ballots by the time the smoke clears tomorrow.

That's good to hear.

Yeah I am about a week or so overdrawn on the political ads. I always vote and my mind has been made up for a long time. I am just sick of the last minute knife twisting and politics of fear exercised by all involved. I cant wait for Nov 3 so we can listen to everyone gripe about who won.11.gif

----------------

On 11/1/2004 11:16:51 PM m00n wrote:

I'll be so happy to be rid of all the adds and telephone solicitions.

----------------

...and the bribes and knifings, indian leg wrestling, kidnappings with root cellar brainwash attempts, etc.

----------------

On 11/2/2004 12:24:46 AM Griffinator wrote:

I'm just happy to be done talking about it.

It's been nothing but one failed test of my willpower after another not talking to (party name left out) stiffs that won't acknowledge any kind of logical arguments.

----------------

Ha - I've met those on both sides of the fence

I agree with you meuge.

"Logic" is a tricky word to use, I like the idea of logic and studied it quite a bit when I was studying philosophy. By attaching "Logic" to one's argument its often a way of saying that one is right because one used "Logic" and the other did not.

I don't think its necessarily bad that folks' minds are made up long before election day . Most people's minds are made up long before campaigning begins; Because which way they vote is dependent on core values that they have, and how the perceive the world in relation to those core values. Trying to convince someone to jump over to your side of the fence is like asking them to accept the world is round. (It is, I swear!)

One can twist logic, numbers and facts to suit any position they wish.

We just need to be cognizant of that and do our own digging as we make up our minds.

It's like audio. No one brand will make evryone happy.

Just do the best we can and vote.

There should be an Amendment banning attack ads, cold calling - can we really forget when Election Day is? - and limit the number of any political ads that do not state what the plan to do anything will be and the party the Candidate is.

We have several jobs as Citizens of this Country. One is Jury Service another is to VOTE.

dodger

----------------

On 11/2/2004 2:35:53 AM kenratboy wrote:

I voted over a week ago and I am getting sick of the ads. So glad it is almost over!!!

----------------

I think that is an understatement.

At 06:49 I voted. My wife and I will go to our local Live Play Hoyuse and tomorrow I hopefully will read of a definitive election, with no recounts needed.

But as far as I am concerned, the election of 2004 ended with my voting.

The rest is up to the majority and the Electoral Congress.

dodger

Democracy can be ugly at times, but man it sure beats the alternativeS, like theocracys, monarchyS, totalitaranism, dictatorships, etc.

I always feel great after voting, it's one of the best things I as a citizen can do. I was helping a friend running for poltiical office in New York on September 11-saw the whole tragedy unfold before my eyes. It was primary day in the Big Apple that day and they cancelled the primary. Many in town were expressing the feeling that there were greater things to worry about than some election, but I disagree. This is what those scum wish to take from us.

As the old song says:

GET OUT AND VOTE, GET OUT AND VOTE

IT WILL PUT A LUMP OF GLORY IN YOUR THROAT

----------------

On 11/2/2004 9:12:23 AM tankhokie wrote:

i just can't wait to hear about:

"HANGING CHADS"

wonder who will screw up this time...ugh

----------------

At least here in my County we have machines that you close the curtain and actual levers that have to be pulled down ALL the way.

The County says they are outdated, but sometimes it's better to be non-cardboard, non-computer. If there is a mistake, the voter made it and after the curtain is opened the vote(s) are registered. Then at the end of the day, themachines are transported back to the Board of Elections with a Representative from each party and a guard - even though they are sealed and can only be opened at the Elections board while being filmed. With all Representatives, the Elections Commissioner and the guard present.

dodger

Here in Montgomery Co. Maryland, they have touch-screen -- you verify your registration and get a card with a chip in it. The card goes into the machine which brings up a series of 4-5 screens, including language selection, 3 pages of ballot selections which you touch and can untouch if you make an error/change your mind, a final page to review your ballot and make any final changes, touch "Cast Ballot," and give back the plastic card w/chip on your way out. Fast, simple, hopefully traceable if necessary. However, I've never seen the lines so long at 7:15 a.m.

Larry

We need seriuous reform. Either it's never been this nasty before, or I've simply never paid attention in the past. I'm appauled at the behavior on both sides. Truth twisting to the point that they are lies. We diserve better than this. If this truth twising is not illegal, it damn well should be.

In 2008, the candidate who comes out as a straight shooter no B.S, will win my vote.

Unbelievable.....

----------------

I'll be so happy to be rid of all the adds and
telephone solicitions.
----------------

We've gotten a ton of these over the past 10 days or so. I wonder how they get around the Federal Do-Not-Call list? We're on it, but we still get these guys calling all the time. I can't wait for this to be over...what 6 weeks from now when the litigation dust settles?

Cast my vote this morning but its still far from over in my eyes, the difference in polls in most states is less than the margin of error.

If there is a clear winner we're going to a by-partisan "election is over" party tonight. If not, I guess I'll pop some popcorn and watch the circus.

----------------

On 11/2/2004 12:46:58 PM dkp wrote:

----------------

I'll be so happy to be rid of all the adds and
telephone solicitions.
----------------

We've gotten a ton of these over the past 10 days or so. I wonder how they get around the Federal Do-Not-Call list? We're on it, but we still get these guys calling all the time. I can't wait for this to be over...what 6 weeks from now when the litigation dust settles?

----------------

The politicos exempted themselves from compliance with our wishes. It's right there in the law.