Vibrapods??

Mighty Favog

Has anyone on here used Vibrapods for vibration dampening? My 'swift' idea of using water-pipe insulation is being crushed (pun intended). I'd like to use them on my amp and turntable. The McIntosh C33 was also an idea but I'd have to see the hight of them after their installed. The turntable has needed them for many years, the stock feet dried-up and sank about a half inch.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

McIntosh C33

Rotel RB-1080

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD (but seeking a McIntosh MVP831!)

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300 mk II

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Monster Power HTS-5000

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

how 'bout vibra slabs? I wrote about my DIY project at

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/tweaks/

silly I know, but damping the various parts of your system makes all sorts of differences ...

------------------

big old Cornwalls, Bottlehead 2A3 Paramour tube amps, Dynaco series II tube pre-amp, Rotel CD player, KSW200 & LF10 subs

Thanks guys,

Guess I should have said I've already ordered 'em when I made the first post. Just looking for some reassurance I suppose. So far they're working out fine. Bass has tightened up and the high is more articulate. It sounded pretty much the same when I was using the polyetheline water pipe insulation but after a while it got crushed enough to not being very mush good for anything. Right now the pods reside under the amp and the turntable but the pre-amp and the eq(?) won't be too far behind. In the instructions it says to use something between the pod and surface it sitting on because they tend to leave marks on the shelf' wood. A short to Target is all it took to get some all cork bar glass coasters. I'm still using that neanderthal Carver cd player but a McIntosh MVP831 may be in the works!

Testing the new pods I used Donald Fagen's Karmakeriad(sp?) cd and quite frankly I didn't want the disc to end. The second last track "On The Dunes" was very relaxing and "Florida Room" was just as happy and bouncy as it should be. Did I mention this test was done without the girlfriend home and played rather loud?

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

McIntosh C33

Rotel RB-1080

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Power HTS-5000

This message has been edited by tblasing on 08-11-2001 at 10:10 AM

Keith,

I didn't hear any difference when the cork was added. The pods feel like a heavily 'Armor-All'ed piece of rubber or soft vinyl and the oils they emit from that could damage the finish (leaving rings). In the manual they do say you can run these things either side up but since I was actually replacing the stock feet and due to the screw holes being closer to the bottom of the pod, I had to install them up-side down because the stock feet screws are not long enough. All in all they work pretty well.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

McIntosh C33

Rotel RB-1080

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Power HTS-5000

I have vibrapods onder my cd players, under my turntable and under my dynaco tube amps...for the price I have not seen anything (not DIY) that can beat them...they do a great job of isolation (try rapping a shelf with your knuckles under your component with and without the vibrapods to see what I mean)...I am building my own amp isolation stands now using black hole (great name huh?) pads and a wooden frame, copying some I saw at the bottlehead site...I am sure that will be better BUT...I am a big fan of vibrapods in general...regards, tony

I have used Vibrapods in my Living Room Home Theater system (HT-2) for some time. Before my recent purchase of the 61 projection TV, I had the equipment cabinet in the room and the Vibrapods were essential and made an audible difference (improved clarity). I now have the components outside the room but still use the vibrapods. Moving the components did not seem to make an appreciable difference attesting to the effectiveness of the Vibrapods, which are, by the way, actually a Stereophile Recommended Component. I have been meaning to get them for the basement HT components (which are also outside the room) but since the component rack rests on the concrete basement floor, I dont think much in the way of vibration reaches the components, but I might get the pods just for the hell of it. They have a web site www.vibrapod.com which contains a list of dealers They do leave marks on furniture so coasters or whatever under them are needed.

HT-1

Klipschorns w/ ALK crossover upgrades

4 Klipsch LaScalas (surround & rears)

Heresy components in custom cabinet /monitor stand (center)

Panasonic 32 Monitor W/ component video input

3 Sony CX400 CD changers

Nirvis Slink-e computer interface (downloads cd info, programs & controls changers).

Nirvis DXS digital controller (auto selection of whatever source is playing)

Nirvis CDJ (CD Jukebox Software)

Sony Viao Laptop Computer

Sony S530D DVD Player

Sony 798HF VCR

Sony XA1ES CD player

Dynaco PAS4 stereo preamp W/ Tesla Tube upgrades (also outputs to HT2)

Technics SL3300 DD Turntable w/ Shure cartridges

Outlaw 1050 6.1 A/V Receiver

Perpetual Technologies P1A Digital Correction Engine (jitter reduction, 16 to 24 bit conversion, future speaker frequency correction, and room acoustic correction )

Perpetual Technologies P3A DAC ( plus 44.1k to 96k CD upsampling)

Klipsch KSW-15 sub (for DVD LFEs )

Klipsch LF-10 sub

Phillips Pronto TS2000 Programmable Remote

Scientific American Explorer 2000 Home Communications Terminal

X10 computerized lighting controls

Radio Shack Wireless Remote Control Extender

HT#2

4 Klipsch KT-LCR THX Speakers

4 Klipsch RS-3s (side & rear surround)

2 Klipsch KT-DS THX Surrounds

10 Linaem Tweeters

Outlaw 1050 6.1 A/V Receiver/Preamp

Outlaw 750 5 channel Amp

MSB Technology Digital Director w/ jitter reduction

Sony CX-200 CD Changer

Sony X111 ES CD Player

Sony 775HF VCR

Sony STR-G3 (4 channels of supplemental amplification for extra speakers)

Toshiba 61 High Definition TV

Sony NS700 Progressive Scan DVD

Toshiba 4205 DVD Changer

Klipsch SW-12II Sub

Klipsch LF-10 sub

Sony AV2100 remote

Scientific American Explorer 2000 Home Communications Terminal

X10 Computerized Lighting

Vibrapods (vibration isolation)