kenratboy is now the proud owner of Chorus II's!!!

kenratboy

Yup. $100 at a pawn shop. I am forever indebted to Frzninvt for spotting the deal for me. Thank you.

Anyway, what the hell did I buy!!! How much did they sell for new (these look slike late 80's ones)? I see a 15" woofer, ~2" horn mid, and 1" horn tweeter and a read firing 15 or 18" passive unit.

They sound incredible. The receiver I use has a lot of background noise, so I might be buying a brand new Primare unit in a month (I get em' cheap), but in the mean time, there is a constant 'hisssss' in the background.

Cabinets are structurally sound, with a few minor nics on the corners. Grill cloth is covered in dog hair, but they are otherwise perfect (no tears or anything)

The grills have never been removed it looks like, albert some dust, the drivers all work (tested at pawn shop) and are in MINT condition. One of the rear passive things has a minor scratch that does NOT penetrate the cone.

Wow. $100 including tax.

Yep, the hisssss is in your receiver/amp more than likely. I had a $450 Technics receiver that I ran with KLF-30's, and it had an audible but not completely unobjectionable hissss. Then I got La Scalas and couldn't stand it, they were so efficient they pick up everything bad upstream. Congrats on your find9.gif9.gif9.gif .

Benton

Congrats!!! The Chorus II was made from 1990 to 1996 and has 101 db sensitivity. It needs a good subwoofer to play in a home theater, since it only goes down to 39 Hz.

This is Klipsch's nicest speaker that was designed recently. Most folks that own them seem inclined to keep them.

Bill

Awesome.

What was the MSRP on them? Looks like they are selling for $600-800 now.

The kicker is - the guy at the pawn shop knew what they were! He knew they were efficent, sounded excellent, etc. - but unless there is something inside the speakers (radioactive waste, alien egg from 'Alien', etc.), why did he sell them for $100?

Who cares!!!

----------------

On 11/5/2004 4:49:24 PM Bill H. wrote:

kenratboy

Ken congrats to you on a fantastic find...........

IT'S ABOUT TIME...............but I am happy for you- Welcome Officially to the Klipsch Fold.!
3.gif
----------------

And I thought I was going to get some cruddy Synergy stuff 9.gif

Now for the rest of my life, I can look foward to only buying hi-end gear, as anything less will be unacceptable!

YES! FINALLY! Now you have "officially" joined the fold! And heritage too. Man! You don't f_ck around, huh?

Congrats again, Ken. I'm so excited for you I feel like a jack russel terrier that needs to pee. And yes, now you must get a better receiver (not you're "POS sony" as you say lol) to do those babies justice!

Alright Man! I was hoping that you would get them. The moment I spotted them and saw where they were I thought about you. The MSRP on those babies was in the $1700 range for sure, easy. Get a can of Bissell Upholstery Cleaner in the blue can with a scrub brush head at KMart and do the grill with it and then vaccuum them off and they will look like new. I was shocked by the price, you stole them! Hey I am always looking to hook someone up with some Klipsch, I am set as you can see below.

CONGRATS!!!!!! 9.gif9.gif9.gif

OK, now that I have about an hour of critical listening - all I can say is WOW...

First, they are NOT harsh, they are smooth and sweet. If there is a rim shot, CRACK, if someone is singing, it is smooth and sweet. They seem very well balanced - no idea why people call them harsh.

Compared to my JBL SVA1500's, these are in a whole other leage.

The bass is ASTONISHING.

I leave for work in 45 minuites, back to music!

I'll be posting when I get home in about 9 hours!

You will be very happy IF....

Realize the speaker will MAGNIFY your weaknessess in amp and source components or software from here forward!

I have never listened to so many amps since i bought the CHorus IIs 3 years ago.

I WILL NEVER SELL THEM!

I will definitely Buy K horns in the next 3-6 years; but will always keep these.

You need to find a sweet SS amp to start with.

HK perhaps

Happy Listening.

Guest Anonymous

Congratulations baby, I am real happy you bought them, they sold for 1800 new. You stole them, I would have paid for packing/shipping and still goet a great deal......use them and SMILE9.gif

"Frzn - Sitting in Vermont and you hook KRB up in Nevada??? Sheesh, ya gotta luv the 'net. Great score. Going from the backwoods to the big-time, KRB!"

Yes the net is an amazing resource at times!

I use an Antique Sound Lab AQ1003DT amp. The manual is sparse on technical detail to say the least. I decided that I wanted to set the bias for the EL34s to an optimal level. I posted my question on another forum and learned the name of the designer and emailed him. I had a response within just a few hours.

Imagine being able to communicate directly with the guy who designed an amp. Total time involved:

Research 30 minutes +/-

Inquiry to direct answer from Joseph Lau 24 hrs. +/-

Congrats, Ken, on the Deal of the Century!

With Chorus IIs being so efficient, you have unlimited choices in amplification, from a new or used 200 watt McIntosh SS amp, to flea-powered 3.5 watt 2A3 SET Moondogs (and practically anything else inbetween)!

Congrats at a 100$, that really is a steal!!

Those deals are fewer and fewer, given most sellers will cross check eBay. I'm looking at double that to ship a pair of K-horns within Canada!

----------------

On 11/5/2004 5:45:44 PM kenratboy wrote:

They seem very well balanced - no idea why people call them harsh.

----------------

Must be the from the frustration of hearing their front end's defects... 2.gif

BTW, I'm surprised no one mentioned it, but the Chorus were originally released as the Cornwall replacement featuring a similar configuration; Exponential HF and MF horns, 15" direct radiator woofer in a vented enclosure.

The Chorus II changed from a port to a PR for it's venting... and they featured the newer tractrix MF horn.

Your now playing with the big boys...

Rob

Well, my dad isn't as hot on them as I am - he still likes them a LOT, but realizes the old 300X2 watt Kenwood receiver is not the ideal think to run them with. Then again, a lot of the stuff he was listening to was older, sh!tty recordings that sound bad on headphones - and hearing them on this rig isn't that great! I KNOW they are good speakers, and I like what I hear, but I have a feeling I have yet to unleash their potential.