kenratboy is now the proud owner of Chorus II's!!!

kenratboy

"Time to bust open the secret stash of Benjamins, Ken. Tubes ain't gonna come cheap"

Heh

I listen to a SE 6BQ5 console amp at around 5 watts on Cornwalls. I'm into it about 30 bucks.

I have a little 6BQ5 PP amp I picked up off Ebay for 60 bucks, I think I put another ten or twenty bucks into it.

I picked up a ol' BW RCA televison hi-fi console for free. It had a little SE 6BQ5 power amplifier with low use.

I have re-worked the circuit kinda and am currently installing the little RCA SE 6BQ5 amplifier circuit into a vintage DBX subharmonic synthesizer chassis. (The DBX circuit was fried.)

I'll be into it about 50 bucks.

The 300B DIY amp was a little more spendy, around 500 bucks.

Of course you could just buy a tube amp, I wish I could...

----------------

On 11/9/2004 11:02:43 AM kenratboy wrote:

----------------

On 11/9/2004 11:01:17 AM picky wrote:

It's been a long time coming and I am happy for you!
----------------

Yes, yes it has... s o v e r y t i r e d . . . . .

----------------

choir3.JPG

HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH!

Hallelujah.

Hallelujah

HALLELUJAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

----------------

On 11/5/2004 4:15:31 PM kenratboy wrote:

Yup. $100 at a pawn shop. I am forever indebted to Frzninvt for spotting the deal for me. Thank you.

Anyway, what the hell did I buy!!! How much did they sell for new (these look slike late 80's ones)? I see a 15" woofer, ~2" horn mid, and 1" horn tweeter and a read firing 15 or 18" passive unit.

They sound incredible. The receiver I use has a lot of background noise, so I might be buying a brand new Primare unit in a month (I get em' cheap), but in the mean time, there is a constant 'hisssss' in the background.

Cabinets are structurally sound, with a few minor nics on the corners. Grill cloth is covered in dog hair, but they are otherwise perfect (no tears or anything)

The grills have never been removed it looks like, albert some dust, the drivers all work (tested at pawn shop) and are in MINT condition. One of the rear passive things has a minor scratch that does NOT penetrate the cone.

Wow. $100 including tax.

----------------

----------------

On 11/5/2004 4:15:31 PM kenratboy wrote:

Yup. $100 at a pawn shop. I am forever indebted to Frzninvt for spotting the deal for me. Thank you.

Anyway, what the hell did I buy!!! How much did they sell for new (these look slike late 80's ones)? I see a 15" woofer, ~2" horn mid, and 1" horn tweeter and a read firing 15 or 18" passive unit.

They sound incredible. The receiver I use has a lot of background noise, so I might be buying a brand new Primare unit in a month (I get em' cheap), but in the mean time, there is a constant 'hisssss' in the background.

----------------

This might sound bizarre,but I picked up this little digital amp made by Sonic Impact for 30 bucks(yes,30!)from Partsexpress.com that has been getting great buzz from the audiophile press,and its one clean sounding little sucker.All it has is two speaker inputs,and 1/8" jack that you could use with a Y adapter to hook up your cd player with,thats what I did.It uses either 8AA batteries,or a 12v dc adaptor.Ive tried it with a lot of my speakers,and its 10 watts into 8 ohms,or 15 watts into 4 ohms,and Im sure with the efficiency of the Chorus II's it would be plenty of power.You could give it a try until you can get something better.

Jimmy

kenratboy wrote:

"Anyway, what the hell did I buy!!! How much did they sell for new (these look slike late 80's ones)? I see a 15" woofer, ~2" horn mid, and 1" horn tweeter and a read firing 15 or 18" passive unit."

Firstly- WOOOOOOHHHOOOO YYEEEEEOOOOOWWWW what a friggin deal! Congratulations my young friend. If there aren't two 18-year olds dancing in front of you right now, something is terribly wrong in the world! See what you get for listening to your elders?

What did you buy, WHAT DID YOU BUY. ok, I'll settle down and tell you. I have a large packet of Klipsch original literature that I save for just these occasions. Here's the specs:

45Hz-20 kHz =/- 3 dB (-10 at 36Hz) 101 watt with one watt, one meter, 100 watt power handling, 1,000 watt peak power handling. You should have K79K tweeter, K57K mid and K48E woofer. Those babies weigh 89 pounds each and stand a proud 39 tall x 18.5 w x 15.5 deep.

actually those are for the original Chorus, if you have passive radiator in the back , you have Chorus II (unless Klipsch played with this design like they did the Cornwall)

so bandwidth is down to 39Hz +/- 3 dB, all other specs the same except mid driver should be K61K and KD16 sub bass radiator. That baby in back should smooth out the low end nicely. The frequency response chart (eveness of sound) is one of the flattest I have ever seen, I mean barely a ripple. Placement near corners should be experimented with about 2 inches at a time for optimum BOOM effect!

Have fun, send the girls this way if they bore you. You my friend have scored the deal of the year! BTW, nicely mentored, Frzninvt!

Michael

----------------

On 11/12/2004 7:00:17 PM kenratboy wrote:

Well, I could buy lots of different things, but I think my best value will be a system for my room. Where the Chorus's are does not provide a good listening spot (in the formal living room) - in my bedroom, I can throw in a DVD and enjoy.

Audio isn't my only thing. I am into digital photography and Canon has lots of nice lenses to tempt me. My car would just LOVE a supercharger, new suspension, wheel and tire package, Brembo rotors, etc. I need a new computer monitor and it will be a 19 or 20" LCD of the highest quality.

I could blow 50 G's in a few days with no problem
9.gif
- just a matter of what will be the most appropriate thing!

----------------

Congratulations, definitely the Deal of the Century! I won't tell you what I paid for my Chorus II's, but my girlfriend can go before they will!

A lot of the guys here on the Forum recommend the HK Twin Power receivers for a cheap receiver solution, I've had no experience with them. I did love the way my Marantz 2220b and later 2385 mated with my Klipsch. Either way, if you keep running your Chorus II's with a crappy receiver, it's gonna drive ya crazy sooner rather than later.

My Yamaha HT receiver is growing on me, but it's more buck$$$. Sounds like you're just going 2-Channel for now, and there are great legacy amps/receivers out there that can take care of you for not a lot of money.

But you've been on the forum for a while, so you already know all that 9.gif

krustyoldsarge:

Actually, I have two systems going on. I live at home (I'm 19) and the Chorus's are downstairs on my parents system (very good turntable, Sony 400 CD changer, and the decent Kenwood receiver). I am sure the speakers would just overpower my 13' square bedroom!

In my room, I am working on building a nice home theater system with a Denon 28 or 3805 at the center and new Synergy's for the sound.

However, due to where I work, I've been thinking dirty thoughts about this for the Chorus II's: http://www.sumikoaudio.net/primare/products/i21.htm

So not bad, I'm 19 and working on two systems 6.gif

Well, I listened to them for the first time in over a week (school and work dragged me under) and I am still floored.

I listen to Autechre's Tri Repetae++ - the guys who make this stuff are all about crystal clear sound and thunderous dynamics. These speakers delivered!!! BEAUTIFUL bass and crisp, clear trebel. The speakers have the dynamics to deliver the good and have tons of room to spare.

Klipsch Heritage speakers might be the ultimate speakers for electronic music junkies like me - the need is for speakers that are loud, clear, etc. and these guys deliver!!!

I really need to try this group out on Bose - bet there would be lots of paper blowing out 9.gif

Oh, 15" woofers still rock. B&W knows that, and no audiophile ever said a bad work about the 801's 2.gif - I always think of the 801's as the British counterpart to the Klipschorn.

Ken-Congrats on your great deal!

I am sure the speakers would just overpower my 13' square bedroom!

Thats where the fun is,I had my Corns in a 12x10 room

I remember my dad coming home from work one night,My Klipsch were cranked up pretty loud.

He walked into my room,I quickly got up and turned it down.

He had a confused look on his face and asked me if I was trying to "punish" myself.

I didnt have a answer for him then,but every time I think about that day I wish I would have said "Yes,and im grounding myself for the rest of week"

Enjoy your new sounds!

Tomski

----------------

On 12/9/2004 4:09:35 PM kenratboy wrote:

krustyoldsarge:

Actually, I have two systems going on. I live at home (I'm 19) and the Chorus's are downstairs on my parents system (very good turntable, Sony 400 CD changer, and the decent Kenwood receiver). I am sure the speakers would just overpower my 13' square bedroom!

In my room, I am working on building a nice home theater system with a Denon 28 or 3805 at the center and new Synergy's for the sound.

However, due to where I work, I've been thinking dirty thoughts about this for the Chorus II's:

So not bad, I'm 19 and working on two systems
6.gif

----------------

My suspicions are that your Chorus will definitely overwhelm a 13' area! They'll rock the basement, though!

Have you heard the Primare? You'd want to audition it with your Chorus before you committed that kind of $$$:

"Within its larger chassis featuring a new and modern cosmetic design, a massive single torodial transformer resides having replaced the two from the previous model" This is interesting because dual transformer power supplies are usually preferred for crosstalk reduction and faster transient response within each channel. This is also why a lot of folks on this board buy monoblocks. Hope they had a good reason to go to a single transformer other than cost savings.

Would you really want to put a Primare in the basement? 14.gif

An old Marantz or HK might still serve your purpose better, at least till you bring the Chorus' upstairs! 9.gif

I'm confused (again). Do HEROIN ADDICTS congratulate each other on their first "fix"?!

We should be feeling SORRY about this.

Another Klipsh-o-holic in the making, and you guys certainly are not helping matters.

My deepest condolences, Ken.

Seek immediate medical attention.

DM9.gif