SVS upgrade?

popbumper

All:

If I may be so bold to ask an SVS question - I am currently running an SVS 20-39 PCi, which I find quite satisfying overall. Problem is this - at higher volumes, as expected, when the sub "digs deep", I DO get some "slapping". Knowing I am not willing to "back off", is the best resolve to:

1) Get the PCi + series with a heftier amp? Or...

2) Go with an SVS 16-46 and heftier amp?

3) Scrap it and start over?

Just curious what everyone's thoughts would be on this. Again, I am VERY happy with the unit but I really don't want to deal with the slap....

Popbumper

If I remember correctly on another thread you mentioned that your room is 20x21. Since your room is over 3000cuft, I think you may find that any of the cylinder subs, except perhaps the PC Ultra may be inadequite. The PB12-2CS or the PB12-plus/2 may be the ticket. Contact Tom V at SVS for better guidance. I use a PB12-plus/2, or rather as it used to be called a PB2+ in my 20x20 room calibraded to 20hz (1 port plugged).

Jerry Rappaport

Thanks for the advice folks - yes, 20 x 21 room - I think I need to upgrade. I listened (in horror) last night to the scene in "Finding Nemo" where Darla taps on the aquarium glass, and all my sub did was bottom out - big time. I need something better, and have already penned a note to Tom at SVS to see what he could recommend!

Popbumper

Sell it to make up for some cash to go for a single 20-39PC+ or a PCU (if you can).

Or... you could go for the PB2+ for only 1200... cant beat that sub!!

Sell yours and upgrade to the newer SVS, you owe it to yourself.

Gosh I sound like a salesman. 3.gif

Say you sell your sub for about 400$.. that would mean that a 20-39PC+ is essentially 450 out of pocket, the PCU is essentially 750 out of pocket, and the PB2+ is essentially 850$ out of pocket. All my calculations included shipping.

Oh and this should be some food for thought:

According to Tom V, the new PC+ is equal in output to 1.8 of the new PCi (of same size enclosure). Think about it. Dont forget that if you have the first gen PCi, it might be 1 PC+ = 2 PCi (1st gen)!

A heftier amp will not solve the problem! It is the driver that is crapping out, these are side effects of ported subs when overdriven. Too much excursion will equal, slap, slap, slap.

Get a sealed enclosure servo subwoofer and you will not have those types of problems. There were some very nice used Velodyne's in the Texas area on eBay not to long ago. A FSR-15 or F-1500R will fit the bill, solid into the teens and clean! No boom or boing or slap, slap, slap as the woofer movement is monitored by an accelerometer many times a second.

Let me see if I can dig you up something popbumper. Sorry I missed your post. I see this just sold two days ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3275&item=5729264223&rd=1

----------------

On 11/16/2004 3:47:10 PM Frzninvt wrote:

A heftier amp will not solve the problem! It is the driver that is crapping out, these are side effects of ported subs when overdriven. Too much excursion will equal, slap, slap, slap.

Get a sealed enclosure servo subwoofer and you will not have those types of problems. ----------------

Actually, that's not a solution to the problem either. Getting a sub that will limit it's excursion will only decrease it's ability to be over-driven. What he needs is simply a more capable sub proportionate to his listening habbits...whether that's a Velodyne, Klipsch, SVS or other. It sounds like the pci isn't the one for you. I think if you're truely bottoming out this driver then you'll want to upgrade a couple times to a dual driver configuration and even a plus (PB12+2) if you want to go the SVS route. The Velodyne mentioned above is also a larger unit that will provide you more headroom.

Hi guys:

Thanks again for the inputs. After talking with Tom at SVS, I went through calibration of my system, and found the only way to really "tame" the unruly woofer was to back off of the gain. No solution, really; my tastes are genuinely focused towards the "bass-enhanced" region, and I will have to upgrade.

On my request, Tom suggested I either get another 20-39 (placed near the first) for a 6dB gain on the low end, or a PB-12 +2, whose performance would be similar to two 20-39's. I suppose this choice would be based on whether I want two big cylinders or a nice compact box!

Funny how things change; ever since setting up my system, I have gone through a number of configurations, and always looking to "tweak" for better sound. My most recent acquisition was another pair of Forte's for side channels; having four Forte's and an Academy center REALLY smoothed out the system, though I find that my bass appetite does nothing more than increase.

As a side note, I am VERY happy with SVS - I really have nothing bad to say about the unit, I just want more bass!

Popbumper

----------------

On 11/13/2004 1:33:55 AM xcjago wrote:

SVS is pretty much the King of Loud and Deep bass. Maybe some may not find them "fast" enough for music, but I doubt you'll find a better brand for deep loud bass for a low price.

----------------

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I just can't resist.

What exactly does "fast" mean when describing how a particular subwoofer works with music?

You know, I think there is such a thing as "fast bass". But I think a better way to say it would be controlled bass. Some amps can control a speaker better then others can. From what I read, damping factor is the amps abilty to keep the speaker from moving more then it should. The higher the number the better. Even if that is wrong. I know slew rate can be used here to. The ability to change frequencys quicker. If both are right, then an amp that is good with both powering a sub would make it quicker there for makeing "fast bass" or controlled bass. Well, this is what I think anyway.

CD

Don't be mislead by SVS's ability to dig deep, and play loud. Anyone who implies they are not good for music, probably have never auditioned one. I've never heard the the ISD driver, but can comment on the Plus and Ultra drivers. The Ultra driver is superior and more "musical". If budget is an issue, you cannot go wrong with the PB12-Plus/2. I've had mine for more than a year now, and firmly believe it is the best value out there! Having moved my HT into a much larger space, I picked up the PB12-Ultra/2. It is very musical indeed, with MONSTER slam, and ground trembling bass. If you can go that route, I would reccomend it. You will be constantly amazed by its versatility and performance!

I don't think it will be going back. The only way you might get muddy or slow bass from the Ultra, is if your phase is out. I've never found a good way to set it with a meter and disc. I set the SPL with a meter and then phase by ear. I was amazed the first time I heard a sub with the phase out, and then corrected. With a variable phase adjustment and built in PEQ, you'll be ordering your second one in no time. Carl

SVS ultra man.JPG

You should get TWO SVS Ultras with a 1000 watt amp.

Dats what I use and it kicks some serious butt. No bottoming out

no matter how low a frequency I feeds it. Kaboom! He he he he

Dancing_Dudes.gif

Hey! Hey! Hey, hey, hey!

Ultra, Ultra man (Ultra man!)

Youve gots to be, an Ultra man (I've gots to be an)

Ultra, Ultra man, yea!

Youve gots to be an Ultra man! All right!