How to choose a pretty nice 2.1 Speaker

kinkisega

welcome, you've come to the right place.

I guess it's going to depend on what you're going to be using the speakers for. Will these be for hookup to your computer? If so I would advise the Klipsch Promeida line of 2.1 speakers which are self-powered through the subwoofer unit. Very nice and can do double duty for a modest listening experience around the home, office or dormroom.

If you want them primarily for say a home stereo system then thei eare many other choices, degree of cost, size etc. so I would advise you providing us with more info on how you plan to use them, so some of the real experts (not I) can provide you more exact feedback.

Actually, i will use it as my computer speaker for games and music and i'm now confusing to choose either 2.1 or 5.1 as my onboard soundcard support to 5.1. But my friend told me 5.1 is not suitable for a small area, but the price of a 2.1 and 5.1 is quite similar. Any suggestions for my case?

Also, i want to ask how to idenify the quality of a speaker? for example, what is RMS, SPL, Output power......etc

Can anyone of you tell me more about it as i just a very beginner.

If I tried to explain specs to you my lack of knowledge would only misinform you. I can tell you however, that for games (especially First Person Shooters) a 5.1 system is better because you can hear them sneaking up on you from behind.

There are problems with a 5.1 setup, though. The main one having wires running all over the room for the rear speakers and finding a good position behind you to place them so that the sound is balanced. For music you will want to set the software that comes with the speakers to two channel because all cd's except SACD and DVD-a (these formats will probably not be available on our sound card) are recorded in two channels.

Maximum PC magazine, a very good computer gear mag with a large following among gamers have given their top rating on 2.1 to Klipsch and their top 5.1 rating to Logitech, with the Klipsch 5.1 second. To my mind the Klipsch 5.1 sounds better with deeper bass and more punch. Try CompUSA or MicroCenter to listen to both before you make up your mind.

RMS = "root mean square," a technical term for measuring effective voltage. It's not a term you really need to be concerned with as regards loudspeakers.

SPL = Sound Pressure Level, measured in decibels (db). A very light breeze barely rustling leaves may be 20 db. A 747 taking off 50 feet away may be 120 db.

Since you're a complete beginner, I recommend you take two or three of your favorite CD's that you are completely familar with, and have your dealer play them on a couple of his top-of-the-line systems. Get a good feel in your ear on how they sound there, and then try them on the smaller systems you are considering for purchase.

Klipsch does make an impressively good sounding line of computer conmpact subwoofer speaker systems whose sound belies their small size. It would be difficult to go wrong with Klipsch.

----------------

On 11/14/2004 11:59:42 AM kinkisega wrote:

What should i pay attention to when choosing a speaker?

I know nothing about the audio stuff

Is it high watt output indicate the quality of a speaker?

Can u guys kindly tell me ?

Thank a lot

----------------

Pay close attention to the sound, thats what youll have to live with.2.gif