What FM tube tuner would you buy for $200?

synthfreek

----------------

On 11/15/2004 11:27:34 AM Jack Daniels wrote:

One of the absolute best tube tuner values on the market today is the

H.H. Scott 350-C. It is very comparable in performance to the 310-E, but is far more reliable. They turn up on ebay every so often, and typically sell for under $200. This is a far better tuner than the 350 or 350-B, or any Dynaco or Sherwood.

The 350-C tends to stay in alignment, and it is not picky about RF tubes or replacing of tubes.

Is this last line the reason why it is far better than the 350 B? In other words does the 350 B shift out of alignment and is picky?

Why is it editors choice on the H H Scot website over the 350 C?

Just interested, Tim. BTW, these questions are real and should not be interpreted as being sarcastic!1.gif

Tim.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 11/15/2004 5:58:48 PM Guy Landau wrote:

Have you started drinking, Ryan?

----------------

It's just that Pennsyltucky drinkin water. Gets to yer brain...

And I see he's moved to Ohio and also went through another bout of time travel, having turned 55 as well. Don't wish your life away, young man!

I'm awaiting word from a board member but I just received this email from someone with another 350-C. Total cost with shipping would be $260. Is it worth it from this description?

"Yes we have a Scott 350C and it is in very good condition. Faceplate is in cosmetically in excellent condition with a minor abrasion barely visible. The edge chrome frame has got some minor nicks and dings on it but still very presentable (very nice). The tuner dial knob, although intact and cosmetically nice may have a different chrome cap on it than other production models, but most importantly the rotary dial plastic is in near perfect condition, ie. all paint and lettering appears to be unworn. If anything detracts from the machine, it is the main chassis which is a little dusty and slight stained with oxidation, and some lettering on the internal chassis has been obviously wiped, and some lettering is slightly "ghosted", or faint.  This unit has been serviced, cleaned and calibrated. Some improvements to the power supply and replacement of some capacitors have been done (very neatly), but it is mostly in original condition. I did the FM Alignment myself and it is excellent on this machine. If you know what these look like then there maybe no need to send a picture, if you're interested in this unit and feel it is fairly priced at $220, plus the cost of boxing and shipping this vintage machine could run around $40 extra. This tuner is presently wrapped and sealed tightly in a bag because it's a collector's item (it will be doubled check before being shipped to you)."

"PS I worked for HH Scott as their service manager back in the late 1970's and actually had a collection of virtually all their tuners, this tuner came from my collection."

----------------

On 11/19/2004 3:05:47 PM synthfreek wrote:

There must be some confusion. I have 2 different options. One person is from the board and the other is someone who worked at Scott. The guy from Scott responded to me via email about a 350C he has in stock.
----------------

I would still be very careful.

----------------

On 11/19/2004 12:04:15 PM Guy Landau wrote:

----------------

On 11/19/2004 11:34:11 AM NOSValves wrote:

Probably Foster Blair.

----------------

I've talked to Foster Blair before and he never mentioned working at Scott. The guy is literally a rocket scientist though.

Ask for a phone conversation and be prepared to ask lots of questions. There are some out there who are not what they say. This is unfortunate and more than one forum member has paid the price for this deception. Just be careful. If this person (or people) try to evade your requests in any fashion, even minor requests, don't deal with them.

There must be some confusion. I have 2 different options. One person is from the board and the other is someone who worked at Scott. The guy from Scott responded to me via email about a 350C he has in stock.

----------------I would still be very careful.

----------------

Not to worry on my end at least,I have sold several items on this page to Forum members and am not out to screw anyone.I just figured I'd offer it here to a member before E-bay.

Just trying to clean up some overstock audio I have.

Eric-Thanks for your patience regarding those Pics.I am working on it!

Jeff

----------------

On 11/15/2004 9:33:00 PM Jack Daniels wrote:

----------------

On 11/15/2004 8:09:43 PM radiob wrote:

Save and buy a Magnum Dynalab, youll be happy you did.
10.gif

----------------

Funny, I just rebuilt and hotrodded a 350-C for a customer who was running a Dynalab, and in his opinion, the Scott "blew it away". He also commented that it received more stations, stations that he never knew exsisted on the dial.

Personally, I think the Scott is the better bargain. Vintage Scott tuners properly set up will blow away todays offerings.

Another Scott sleeper is the 312-D solid-state broadcast tuner, it offers the same sound and performance as the 350-C, but uses FET's instead of tubes. It also gives you a wonderful headphone amplifier with variable adjust for left and right channels.

Just my point of view.

-JD

----------------

But, does the 350-c soundsage like a magnum 101a, or the tubed units? probobly not...

Ryan,

I have been away from the Forum for quite some time now and don't know all the details of what happened in the past,but I do know that when I was looking for a Scott LK-150 you were more than helpful.

You wrote me several rather lengthy e-mails about what to look for as well as info about tubes,caps,etc.You even gave me several leads of where to look.

I really appreciated your effort in this matter (even thought I never purchased one)15.gif

Just figured I'd say Thanks for your help.

Jeff

Actually while I'm in the "Thanking" mood I would like to thank all those other Forum members who helped me personally over the last 4 years...

NosValves

Chris Robinson

Dean G.

Mobile Homeless

John Warren

Tom Mobley

I'm sure I am forgetting several others and for that I apologize.

Jeff

PS: Can't you feel the love?