A Klipsch or a Velodyne?

Spanky

A little Problem,

I can get a Klipsch Subwoofer (RW-12) Subwoofer or a Velodyne

CHT-12R Subwoofer for only a little bit more, Now the Klipsch I know and trust, But I keep hearing and reading many good things about the Velodyne, Now accuracy and definition are important to me, Not just sheer Volume.

So which would you prefer?

(And an SVS is not an option, Because I'm in Australia and I'm not interested in Importing one)

Spanky: Is D-I-Y an option? Adire audio, based out of washington, has a distributor in Australia. They can be reached at:

Acoustic Concepts

63 Southern Road

Mentone, Victoria 3194

AUSTRALIA

PHONE: 61 3 9585 1622

FAX: 61 3 9585 1244

The adire website is www.adireaudio.com, with the listing of all their products, including their raw drivers.

http://www.acousticconcepts.com.au/

I would love the RSW-12, But in this case here in Australia it is double the price of both the RW-12 or the Velodyne.

I would have thought the Velodyne would be more precise in it's delivery of the bass due to it's feed back system?

Or is the Velodynes feedback system been designed to achive the absolute maximum output without distortion, While sacrificing some quality or finesse?

i have a velodyne ct-150 (older model of the cht-15) and it blends very well with my KLF-30's - lots of slam on movies but also a nice bottom octave on music....

like any sub.... it took me awhile with room placemnet to get the sound right.... but it was worth it.... i am very pleased with my sub and would recommend velodyne to anyone.....

1.gif

• 7 months later...

Personally I would not claim to know about that end of either line, but the reputation to which you refer regarding Velodyne was not made based on their entry level models! And I do know their HGS and DD models - and the rep is justified. So may I suggest you look beyond the reputations and actually listen to the units - and at that level might I suggest that you are going to get alot more for your money by taking advantage of the direct marketing structure by looking at SVS, HSU, and Parts Express Titanics, etc. More of your money will go into the product then into the middle man distribution model.

RW12 anyday over the cheapie Velodyne.I have the SPL1000 and HGS18 and these are the subs that are to me true Velodyne,the CHT is nothing more than a cheapie series,you have the name and not the real deal Velodyne performance.

Also true the RW series are not as potent asthe RSW's(have all three models)but the RW12 is more potent than the CHT 12" sub.I would go with the RW12.

What happened to Velodyne?

The real answer, is they are farming their products out (high volume) to the Best Buy's / Circuit City's. Is this the same product that we are used too? NO!

Velodyne is an excellent sub, as long as you stay away from the entry level line of products. I own their F1200 sub, and feel it is superior to the Klispch units. My reasons for Velodyne over the Klipsch will be covered in another email if requested. The servo accelerometer is an excellent invention.

Polk Audio has done the same as Velodyne, with mass marketing their once high end speakers to the Crutchfields, Best Buy's & Circuit City's.

----------------

On 7/17/2005 11:17:12 AM BetaTester wrote:

What happened to Velodyne?

The real answer, is they are farming their products out (high volume) to the Best Buy's / Circuit City's. Is this the same product that we are used too? NO!

Velodyne is an excellent sub, as long as you stay away from the entry level line of products. I own their F1200 sub, and feel it is superior to the Klispch units. My reasons for Velodyne over the Klipsch will be covered in another email if requested. The servo accelerometer is an excellent invention.

Polk Audio has done the same as Velodyne, with mass marketing their once high end speakers to the Crutchfields, Best Buy's & Circuit City's.

----------------

Well,Velodyne's top of the line got better and the low end got...lower quality wise,cheaper.

With SPL and HGS subs you get all around great performance.I never liked the lower end Velodynes(the F1200 is not a low end unit,it was a great Velodyne sub).

At least Klipsch low end improved in a HUGE way up,the two new Klipsch subs picked up and are worthy of the Klipsch badge.Klipsch now has quality from bottom prices to the high end.Good news for Klipsch as their sub sales should go one way,up.

• 4 years later...

Sorry to revibe an old thread here, but I am interested in either the RW10D, or RW12D, or one of the Veoldyne DLS4000R/DLS5000R.

I am very new at this stuff so I just want some suggestions. I have the RF-82 for front speakers, and the RC-62 for center. I don't have rear speakers yet, but they are comming :)

Thanks!

Sorry to revibe an old thread here, but I am interested in either the RW10D, or RW12D, or one of the Veoldyne DLS4000R/DLS5000R.

I am very new at this stuff so I just want some suggestions. I have the RF-82 for front speakers, and the RC-62 for center. I don't have rear speakers yet, but they are comming :)

Thanks!

Speaking as someone who owns a pair of Velodyne HGS-18IIs and bought a Velodyne HGS-10 in clear for my parents system, it is obvious what I prefer sound wise, that asside, let me tell you what is not obvious and possibly save you a headache through my personal experience.

Velodynes customer service SUCKS!! The Hgs-10 has a bad amplifier and it is commonly known, but they wont do anything when it burns out. They will sell you a brand new replacement amp at full price!!!

Need a new HGS-18II box to ship your speaker in safely because you threw out the old one, well that will cost you $50 for the box, plus the cost to ship it to you, and that was the price of their carboard over 3 years ago.

My little blue L.E.D. on the sub stopped working and Velodynes recomended tech center plugged the board in backwards. This is both poor planning on Velodynes part as they should have used plugs that only fit one way, as well as poor tech work, but in the process of plugging it in backwards while I was standing there watching, they burned up the accelarometer which is the coil that makes cone corrections. So now I need to buy a brand new 18 inch woofer because the accelerometer is not a seperate sub assembly, but it gets better yet. Velodyne changed their woofer design, and they don't carry the old style woofer for replacement, and the new woofer is incompatable with my old style amplifier, so I get to buy a new amplifier as well. The service center wrote off any labor charges, and I get a refurbished Sub woofer. That little blue L.E.D. ended up costing well over $1,000.

That is a terrible story, I am sorry that your experience with Velodyne subs is not what you would expect.

I started looking at Klipsch speakers after buying the Promedia 2.1 THX for my computer. These little speakes rock so much, and surprisingly, they can keep up well with my 100W tube guitar amp at home practice volume very well.

I heard the Veoldynes at futureshop and was very impressed with all of them. As is often the case, they didn't have the RW12D, but they did at a london drugs, but I didn't get to listen to it properly. I just want that rumble/kick on the chest that I am sure the Velodyne will deliver. That 15" sub was, well, powerful.

I would prefer to stay with Klipsch, but what alternatives do I have?

Thanks!