Nasty "s" sound

ken kaz

i have a question.

i am using Klipsch Chorus IIs driven by a Carver 1.5 amp.

When i listen to clean vocal recording (soft rock, acoustic type music) and the singer sings a word with a "s" sound periodically the sound is very nasty.

The set up has always been that way (bought the speakers 10 years ago)...but i was recently reading a post saying that this type of problem was common with old carver amps.......and i should get a new amp rather than deal with that.

It is (obviously) not a huge deal, it only happens at very loud volumes with very clean acoustic music.

I have also heard this is normal for horn loaded speakers.

any advise on this? is it normal for the speaker or do i upgrade the amp?

thanks

kaz

This is any or a combination of several things. Essentially, something is modulating the high frequencies where the sibilances reside. Some sources:

The amplifier via intermodulation distortion (essentially the sibilance noise is modulating itself). Try a ss class A or medium to low power tube model (high power tube amps, might do the same thing).

RF, usually via the power line (try a power line filter).

Caps in the speaker crossover. Is your crossover stock? What kind is it? Someone on this site has the same thing and can tell you if that's a problem. I find PIOs have the least tendency for the problem. Conditioned Hovland "Musicaps" can be very good, but will certaily not let your sources get away with anything.

Less than good phono signal chain or optic disk electronics.

Endless tweaks and mods to all of the above.

Basically, horn speakers do it because the signals they receive tell them to.

Leo

Sometimes it is just in the recording. Whether due to close miking, the recording studio or the producer, it's there.

I bought an SACD copy of Billy Joel's "Innocent Man" the other day. Despite the great songs, the original vinyl recording was bright with a lot of siblance. The SACD has the exact same sound as the disc. To say I was dissapointed is an understatement.15.gif

Rick

One important point is whether you have the problem in all modes or just phono, if you have one, CD, Tuner.

If you have a Phono and that is the only point, your cartridge is most likely mis-tracking.

If you do not have a Phono and it is happening only at higher volumes, your tweeter may be at fault. One can have a tweeter in need of repair for quite some time without noticing it.

Try borrowing a different set of Speakers.

Also, you did not note the power of your amplifier. It may be clipping.

dodger

----------------

On 11/15/2004 5:56:57 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Sometimes it is just in the recording. Whether due to close miking, the recording studio or the producer, it's there.

I bought an SACD copy of Billy Joel's "Innocent Man" the other day. Despite the great songs, the original vinyl recording was bright with a lot of siblance. The SACD has the exact same sound as the disc. To say I was dissapointed is an understatement.
15.gif

Rick

----------------

Rick, I too have The Innocent man on vinyl, sound is terrible.15.gif

Guys,

Sibelance is usually on the recording itself. The way to tell is to listen with a good quality pair of headphones directly from the CD player if you can. If you hear it there, it's real. Some artists have a bad case of it. Sean Connery, Wynonia Rider and Serah Briteman (pardon me if I spelled those names wrong), to name several, all have a bad case of it!

Al k.

----------------

On 11/15/2004 7:57:32 PM rf3iicrazy wrote:

"Sometimes it is just in the recording. Whether due to close miking, the recording studio or the producer, it's there."

I hear this at its worst on Foreigners "Cold as Ice".

You're as cold a icesssssssssssss
8.gif

Tom

----------------

33 1/3 or compact disc? I have the LP, and that song is very shrill.

The later Foreigner LP's were recorded better, especially "4", which has "Urgent" on it.

-JD

I had an m1.5t and it was almost unlistenable with my LaScala's. I found a much better match with the TFM35x. I used the same pre for both amps and both amps were been rebuilt and had 100+ hours on them after the rebuild. The 1.5's powered a pair of Logans and a pair of Polks with great results, but when attached to the Klipsch, it wasn't such a nice combo.

----------------

On 11/15/2004 9:24:17 PM Jack Daniels wrote:

----------------

"Sometimes it is just in the recording. Whether due to close miking, the recording studio or the producer, it's there."

8.gif

Tom

----------------

The later Foreigner LP's were recorded better, especially "4", which has "Urgent" on it.

-JD

----------------

Lou Gramm(atico) is from Rochester. Worked with him many times when he was in "Black Sheep"

At times he would throw extra emphasis on words, s's etc..

Felt it added drama to the song. How much came through on cold as ice depended on whether you had a first or second generation copy.

But extra emphasis can be a result of those areas I noted, especially problem tweeters.

dodger

Diana Krall, Lets Face The Music And Dance has that problem. Also, some of Eva Cassidy's recordings. I think they're mic'd too close. Updating the crossovers in my khorns made a significant improvement and smoothed out the midrange compared to my corns and heresys.

----------------

On 11/15/2004 9:24:17 PM Jack Daniels wrote:

----------------

8.gif

Tom

----------------

-JD

----------------

I have it on LP. I still bare through it as I really like every song on that LP, it brings back alot of old memories.

Tom

Tom

Like Al mentioned, make sure that it's not the source material before you start modifying your equipment.

Do you hear the sibilance with all your music or just this one particular album?

Also, does your room sound pingy when you clap your hands? If you combine a very live room with a recording with a little extra sibilance, then you've got yourself a prime situation for some nasty shrill sound.

hough the speaker amp combo is an important one, just keep in mind that changing out different components is just an expensive way of EQ'ing the sound. If your equipment has any EQ controls anywhere, try reducing the high end a little bit. If not, then it might not be a bad investment to get a basic EQ to help tame bad recordings.

----------------

On 11/15/2004 10:57:14 PM boomac wrote:

So Gary, does that mean you will consider updating the crossovers in your zebras?

----------------

I thought about it.....briefly then decided to wait a while since they still sound so good. I have other priorities for my audio funds right now and I spend way more time with my khorns anyway.