horns on a budget

grady

can someone recomend a medium size horn that can go to 99 db at 1 watt or better i get 97 out of cerwin vegas.

i have always been a fan of big sound with small watts. i feel this is the only way to set up home theater. i dont have room for 5 khorns but med-big is ok.

What do you mean when you say "medium size horn"? As already noted, you didnt mention a price range; however, lack of basic essential information never stopped me before and it will not now. I would recommend used Cornwall or Cornwall IIs but some people think they are large!

From a previous post: As you inch up the line of the Klipsch Heritage series, each step takes you closer to the ultimate in the horn sound, the classic Klipsch corner Khorn.

One and half dozen Heresy sales on eBay, until August 2004, show pairs of the smallest Heritage box, selling from $200 to $590, establishing the average value at $405.

Half a dozen sales each of the larger Heritage line sold:

Cornwalls, which do NOT have horn loaded bass, sold from $700 to $1,125, an exception was a year ago, when a pair went for $1,800, but generally they sell for about the same for Chorus I and IIs (averaging $844)

Belles, share the same drivers as the Khorn, dont down go as low, but dont require a corner either, have a covered front, sold from $800 to 2075 (average $1,352)

LaScalas, also share the same drivers as the venerable Khorn, also dont go down as low, also dont require a corner, but have an exposed front, sold from $900 to $2,504 (average $1,292)

Klipschorns, which are much deeper sold for $1,025 to 2,500 (averaging $1,823)

Which is, by the way - considering the cost of Avant-garde Audios large bright horns and new Heritage loudspeakers - about one thousand dollars too cheap!

2.gif