WORK HAS STARTED

YENDOR

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

edwinr;

you hit a grand slam with that one.

this has been a labor of love+ pain lots of littel or no sleep now i just work on this every saturday when possible the demo was a real pain but it was worth it. this has been a learing experince to the max yes this house is 80 years young , we bought at good price beacuse it was in fair shape needed a lot of up dating withj ever house the new owners will make a few changes If there is a wife in the picture the the changes will be a lot but that's the joy of home owner ship. MY brother in law just had his basment finished he spent 25K. no extra's in wall wiring,soumnd control marginal he cant not rock his system hard at night wake up the faimly. ect ect wires around the he making new holes in dry wall for surround sound system . he rushed and didnt that the time to think it through plus he only has single layer of 3/8 dry wall I have been at this for a while 6 months al most ready to start closing walls then finish trim if it was not for this froum i might be in the same boat! not. I forget to mention he said that his wife rushed and wanted it done 2 dayz ago my moto that i tell my wife rome was not built in a week and no pain no gain

airborne

peace

yendor

edwinr;

you hit a grand slam with that one.

this has been a labor of love+ pain lots of littel or no sleep now i just work on this every saturday when possible the demo was a real pain but it was worth it. this has been a learing experince to the max yes this house is 80 years young , we bought at good price beacuse it was in fair shape needed a lot of up dating withj ever house the new owners will make a few changes If there is a wife in the picture the the changes will be a lot but that's the joy of home owner ship. MY brother in law just had his basment finished he spent 25K. no extra's in wall wiring,soumnd control marginal he cant not rock his system hard at night wake up the faimly. ect ect wires around the he making new holes in dry wall for surround sound system . he rushed and didnt that the time to think it through plus he only has single layer of 3/8 dry wall I have been at this for a while 6 months all most ready to start closing walls then finish trim if it was not for this froum i might be in the same boat! not. I forgot to mention he said that his wife rushed and wanted it done 2 dayz ago my moto that i tell my wife rome was not built in a week and no pain no gain

airborne

peace

yendor

......? Does your basement 'see' daylight, ie, is there any portion where the floor is above grade or is there a nearby ravine or ditch nearby that water in the ground at your basement floor level would naturally drain into?

Otherwise you need a perimeter drain around the house, sump pit and pump with emergency backup pump. Around here we use backup pumps that work on the city water pressure, not rely on wimpy car batteries. Theory goes that if storm is bad enough to knock out your electricity, the ground will be saturated with rain water or melting snow. Battery pumps are insufficient and run down quickly. Other option is backup generator.......

Yender, I wish that I had seen this topic a year ago.

It is my experience that h2o-proofing products applied to the interior wall, (like Dry-Lock), are only temporary.

Hydro-static pressure originates from the outside of the wall and eventually pushes the "paint-on" products away from the wall surface. Deep foundation drainage systems are the best cure but, invasive and expensive.

Check out: WWW.Basementsystems.com or my company site at WWW.Foundationspecialties.com

Good luck,

Terry

Terry,

I think that he mentioned putting in French drains somewhere further up. And getting the window well drains cleaned and functioning. A lot of work so far.

I would agree though, that I would be more inclined to dig out around the outside and seal it that way. It obviously can be done. Makes me glad my house has no basement. But then, we found out we have termites and are having to have work done to fix that. Not bad, but costly enough.

Marvel