what is the BADEST SUB??

Scp53

That is true, just about any car subwoofer I know is built to reinforce it's bass frequencies..which is why it does so well in car down to the lowest of depths, but place in room, and there's nothing under 30hz. That's been proven many times in lab-tests.

However, there is always exceptions.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" Unless you dig a hole in your floor or you've got an auditorium for your living room, they would be neither asthetically pleasing or spaciously viable."

Read the link I posted, those are installed in a person's home theater and others are using them that way as well. SPL is marketing them for extreme home theater use, just as Mark Seaton. They can fit behind a screen wall fairly easily and it gets them up against the boundries as required. There are also numerous raves over its sound quality in that, and other, threads. And with some EQ they have no problem going well below 30hz.

" The Contrabass was never explicitly mentioned. I know what they are capable of. "

Neither was the BT7.

" The deap was specifically mentioned and the tech 7 was implied"

The BT7 was no more or less implied then the CB. You took it to mean BT7 I took it to mean CB. Like I said the CB can get under 30hz (easily) and it can be used in a home theater as well.

Shawn

Most output and depth in a under $5000 and less subwoofer, SVS's B4-Plus with a K2 amp.

DIY does not count as there are many DIY projects under five grand you people do not even know about and saying some project is the best is shooting pigeons for the blind.

Stop being dreamers,and start owning serious subs people.

3.gif

The Velo 1812,is a $15000 sub and its output considering the astronomical price is lousy.A HGS18 or DD18 is damn close and costs many times less.The PB2-Ultra will take care of a 1812 in output and depth,the only section of performance the 1812 dominates all SVS is LOW DISTORTION and auto calibration,there there is simply no contest.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/19/2004 10:21:26 AM TheEAR wrote:

Most output and depth in a under $5000 and less subwoofer, SVS's B4-Plus with a K2 amp.

See, I told you, this is one potent sub, and yes, I have the K2, so there.

Thanks TheEar3.gif This comes from the SUBteranium himself, not just poor ol SMILIN3.gif

Nope, I haven't heard the Maestro but I have a bunch of other ACI speakers including a couple of original ACI Titan's. I'd be willing to bet the Meastro is a pretty impressive subwoofer based on Mike Dzurko's past efforts. The Maestro was in the works for quite awhile.

Shawn

I still think that it would be hard to beat the VMPS larger. I have a paradigm servo 15, it is a nice sub, but is no comparison to my VMPS ST/R loud speakers bass quality and SPL. The VMPS Larger is a bass unit from the ST/R Slot loaded loudspeaker.

Guest Anonymous

Lets not forget the B&W ASW 850 or the older ASW 4000/3000 IMO they are good contenders to Subsonic bass, I own a ASW 3000 and its a keeper...regards Tony

----------------

On 11/23/2004 12:54:10 PM sunnysal wrote:

Baddest?

perhaps the;

adire parthenon,

"<a
http://www.adireaudio.com/images/Parthe2.jpg">

baddest practical? the velodyne DD-18 of course, tony

regards,

tony

----------------

Very practical a fan,an Adire fan. Its only strong point,it can move a huge amount of air.Can only be used for the deepest bass and not practical at all in 99.9% of setups.

I call this the most funky wacko device.When any half thrustworthy site reviews this thing we can include it in this list.Right now its only numbers and nobody tested this thing.Not even the holy ghost.

----------------

On 11/19/2004 6:49:31 PM radiob wrote:

I still think that it would be hard to beat the VMPS larger. I have a paradigm servo 15, it is a nice sub, but is no comparison to my VMPS ST/R loud speakers bass quality and SPL. The VMPS Larger is a bass unit from the ST/R Slot loaded loudspeaker.
----------------

radiob- My buddy has an entire VMPS theater with two VMPS larger subs. They put out a phenomenal level of extremely tight bass. I must say, I'm impressed. (They're powered by B&K mono-blocks- either 200 or 225 wpc).

Genelec HTS6. Awesome but it's MSRP is about $10K. The best I've ever heard bar none (Velo 1812, REL Stadium etc)

The Velo DD18 is a good sub (MSRP at$5K), the auto cal and DSP make it a worthy contender for sure.

Martin Logan Descent, $2795 MSRP, gets alot of press but I've never heard one.

The same thing goes for the Snell Sub24. This appears to be a good sub for an MSRP of $2600.

Many say the Wilson Watch Dog or Krell Master Ref. but these are over the top price wise for me and many others.

Again like many here and other forums I keep coming back to SVS. My PB2+ for what I paid (got a bit of break for delivery timing issue) is hard to beat I just can't imagine the new Ultra version or beyond. A great deal of bang, or should I say boom, for your buck!

Regards,

mm

• 1 month later...

Well, ONE sub with ONE driver under $5000. I would say a ported DIY sub with the Resonnant Enginnering XXX 18" driver. Give me a woofer which can displace more air than this one PLUS which can sound as good9.gif 7.74 L of air displacement, a 18 incher with 32mm of one way linear excursion! There will be the new RE MT series which will come soon, not so much details are known except that these woofers have 37 to 49 Tm of Bl 6.gif can I say HUGE magnet structures? They are supposed to be more powerfull to than the XXX series! 6.gif Althought they are more about car audio subwoofers, I know some people who used them (as ported enclosures tuned in the 20s) in home and claim to have amazing results (BOTH in SPL and SQ). I didnt try yet to model them with simulation softwares but just when you look at both the Adire Audio Tumult and the RE XXX 15, they seems so similar! Having a sealed Tumult in home (I know how it sounds) plus seeing so much people telling that the RE XXXs and the Tumult have similar sound quality (very little difference), seeing often those woofers ranked as the best sounding and the most powerfull woofers available on many "woofer forums" (I may add also the Adire Brahma 15, the TC Sounds UE 15)... I think that I can say that one of these woofers, in a well conceptualized ported enclosures, with an enough powerfull amplifier, give all together one if not the most powerfull single sub with a single driver available today below $5000, (the RE XXX 18" having the edge in absolute power). I'm talking here about the best SQ and power, not about the best cosmethics... YOU would define how beautifull it would be 1.gif