wanted: Academy Center

lipinski

I was lucky Lipinski

Sometimes timing is everything.

I did have a bid placed on the present Academy on ebay but I retracted it a couple days ago because I decided I didn't want to knowingly bid against anyone on this forum especially since you were first in mentioning the present Academy on ebay. I hope you win the Academy. I saw the other one by chance as I was following the status of the Academy that is now selling on ebay. So I went ahead and purchased it. I guess I paid about the going price as some sell for less and some sell for more. I would put in you best bid and see what happens. I know some guys use snipe software (?) but what would happen if you waited until the last few minutes and then your computer developed problems? That did happen to me once so now I just put in my highest bid and see where the ball bounces. AnywayGood Luck with the Academy.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So was it a forum member??? Who is peterandlynn from ebay? I was thinking of bidding, but did not quite feel right biddings against Lapinski after 40 some odd posts about one speaker. I have an Oak Academy that has hardly seen the light of day due to the cabinet it is in behind a large speaker grill like cover. Original owner, original box and receipt from when I bought it. Not a blemish on it...look like the day it left the store. Not really interested in selling it but what do you think it would go for? If these babies get to the point where I can trade them for LaScalas, it is gone!

Don't know who peterandlynn are, but lipinski on this forum is george8051 on ebay. i had the high bid with 30 seconds to go at $595 with $606 as my maximum. i lost out. sucks.

last week somebody put a "buy it now" price on another academy of $500 and it was bought a 5:00 am before I had a chance to see it. Seems like they'll easily fetch $600, there were 3 bidders going that high a few hours ago.

rplace. let me know if you change your mind. i'm still a buyer.

I was watching the auction. I figured someone would snipe you at the end. This is what aggravates me about E-bay. This is how the game is played though.

Amazing how the prices vary on these speakers. The same guy had a set of Chorus for sale around the same price as the Academy.

I am looking for an Oak Academy myself. The intention is to use Academys as surrounds sitting vertically on stands. An oak Academy would be my center. I never would even have attempted to go this way as hard as an Academy is to find. I got lucky because someone came across a couple and I purchased one (Should have purchased both) Came across a second one on Ebay and as a lark I bid on it with no intention of going over $400. With shipping it was $375. That got me thinking about using them as surrounds.

I keep thinking about a set of Chorus IIs though. These would be the max I could use in the front because of space limitations. Maybe another Forte II as a center. Wish my space was more adaptable for me to play. WAF is definitely on the forefront.

Definitely frustrating trying to find a good Academy at a reasonable price. Good luck in your quest.

Mike

Hi George

I considered others but size was the main consideration. The Sunfire subs will defintely put you on a hunt to quiet rattles in your room. I have to open my fireplace doors because of their rattle.

I found a demo architectural locally for a reasonable price with full factory warranty. I might upgrade to a signature model one year.

My curse is my family room. Only so much space and I still need to purchase a big screen TV. Been thinking about plasma though burn in does concern me. We watch regular TV daily.

I envy others with dedicated rooms. I have around 8 feet along one wall to work everything in. Too many openings on the other walls to do anyhing. To make it worse my favorite chair sits about 14 feet away from this wall. Not the most ideal layout but I will find a way to fit everything in. Never could find a way to place my surrounds on the side. I am having to place them behind and to the side a little of my chair. A large fireplace and stone wall is to my left and of course an opening to the right.

Mike

----------------

On 11/27/2004 7:46:36 PM rplace wrote:

I have an Oak Academy that has hardly seen the light of day due to the cabinet it is in behind a large speaker grill like cover. Original owner, original box and receipt from when I bought it. Not a blemish on it...look like the day it left the store.

If these babies get to the point where I can trade them for LaScalas, it is gone!

----------------

In the 2yrs I was searching for an Academy, the highest price I've seen one go for was about $950, it was WO finish. WO is the most difficult finish to find.

Being that your's is 100% with boxes (and manual, I assume); I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it go for the same, and probably more.

An WO Academy showed upon ebay 21 minutes before I used the "buy it now" option. I'm so excited I can barely stand it.

I want to thank everyone for their input. I paid $575 for the speaker. If I hadn't had this forum to help me understand that %575 was an appropriate price, I probably would have hesitated and it take another month to find a speaker.

Who's knows what I'll be contemplating next. Horns. Corns. Hersey. Maybe I'll write a greek tragedy. Nah. I'll just get a beer and listen to some stones.

Ok Lipinski, this begs the question. Did you have any life for the past couple of weeks or did you just keep refreshing your ebay search with "Klipsch Academy" trying to find a BIN auction? 2.gif

"Getting sleepy....can't sleep, must keep searching....Need coffee....zzzzzz"

Perhaps you are for hire. There are a few items I need/want, but don't have the time or desire to keep the vigil.

9.gif Seriously, congrats! I know how it is to want something bad to the point where you get obsessed over it.

Jeepers. I am almost embarassed to proclaim that I got my Academy, barely a month ago from ebay for $107. Where was Lippy then? It was the one with the 'damaged' woofer, but the damage was cosmetic in nature and cannot be seen with the grill in place, and without the grill is it almost invisible. In the process of selling the Heresy II the Academy replaced to a fellow member for the same price.

WRT the grill, I am contemplating fabricating one (despite the wife's approval to leave it grill-less) to match the Forte mains. Can someone post a pic of what a 'real' Academy grille looks like? Does it have the same grille-cloth as a Forte? And angled edges like a Forte? Thanks!

Edward,

This picture is so poor that I'm just about ashamed to post it, but it's all I have access to right this minute. This shows my Academy, warts and all. The aspect ratio on the camera is goofed -- it actually is a regular rectangle. :-) Hopefully there is enough contrast on this photo to show you what you need. If not, let me know and I'll see if I can't get a better shot.

O

AcademyFrontCropped.jpg

post-14166-1381925945969_thumb.jpg

Agreed! The pic is exactly what I was looking for, thanks very much. Looks to me to be the splitting image (grill-wise) to the Forte except that the border around the grill is not ~3/4" but rather smaller. Since I replaced the grillcloth on my Forte's long ago, should be mouse nuts to fab an exact match with leftover material.....then maybe I'll redo the grills on my surround Hereseys to match both Forte's and Academy!!!

Thanks again!