What all 2-Channel purists must strive for...

nicholtl

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at our System Profiles for envy-promoting systems!4.gif

Our systems may not cost as much as a 4 bedroom house in an exclusive gated community, nor our music rooms be the size of a ballroom. But for the money spent, I think we also do quite well.5.gif

I wonder...if I had my beer-budget horn/triode audio system installed in his beautiful music room, bet it wouldn't sound much different (who knows, it just might sound even better)!9.gif

But I wonder...if we had his money, would we still have our audio systems, or would we just laugh as we cart 'em off to Goodwill and buy the most ridiculously expensive components like his?

I'd like to think I'd just upgrade some of my components; Klipschorns are a no-brainer (and keep my Cornwalls for my bedroom system), definately a CD transport with vacuum tube DAC/output, I'd finally spin vinyl again, but on a VPI or clearaudio with a Sumiko MC, I'd keep my SRPP linestage pre (I love it), and maybe get the monoblock versions of my 300B SET stereo amp!

But talk is cheap. If I had unlimited funds, would I really settle for less? Or go whole hog?

----------------

On 11/21/2004 4:21:23 PM davmar wrote:

The sad thing is only one chair.

----------------

Yeah... that's what struck me most of all.

The guy claims to be married, and have children, yet there is only one chair in the listening room!

This even defeats the most basic purpose of a system like that - to stroke one's ego by showing it off. Actually, it's a sign of psychological issues when someone is so absorbed.

I can't imagine having one chair in that room. I'd think that 3-4 comfy lazyboy armchairs would be a must!

----------------

On 11/21/2004 4:31:54 PM meuge wrote:

...to stroke one's ego by showing it off...

----------------

Best line I've read all day! Yeah, it must be one thing to convince the marital-unit to allow him to buy all that stuff (unless he's the type who keeps her in the kitchen), but it's wholly another to be the only one allowed to enjoy the system. Selfish bast_rd.

Yeh, one chair is odd. I get tired of listening to music alone. Company is a good thing.

One observation on the No Compromises type system. Megabucks are OK, I mean, whatever floats your boat. However, I still think those little lead filled cable piers/risers that supposedly improve the signal by keeping it a few inches off the floor are just plain silly. Just goes to show, there are some people who can be sold anything. And what I especially don't like about it is that I didn't think of it first. I'd be willing to make you a great deal on such as this.

It is hard to imagine what it would be like to have the bucks to put together a system, if one desired it.I mean, would I throw that much money at a system, even if I had the bucks? Nothing wrong with having the bucks. It is just a different experience, I'd think. One of the real joys about Klipsch and putting together gear here and there is accomplishing GREAT SOUND without spending megabucks on the system. I'm not mechanical, but in my imagination, I think many Klipsch heads are folks who are something like shade tree mechanics working on a beloved automobile or truck. Sure, some people can and do buy Rolls or Bentley, or whatever. Fine by me. Doesn't diminish in the least the enjoyment of my ride which is a standard F150 with an American flag decal on the back window. Besides, I know that Howard Dean wanted my vote. Oh,well,(to be completely accurate, he said I guess) that who he wanted was southern guys with the pickups, gunracks and rebel flags in the back. oops.9.gif

no gunrack or rebel flag12.gif

----------------

On 11/21/2004 7:11:15 PM larryclare wrote:

I'm also struck by the sterility of the equipment end of the room. I sure wouldn't enjoy sitting there staring at those bare walls while listening to music. Issues is right.

Larry

----------------

That's true. If this were my room, I'd hang some interesting, intense, and dramatically hellish artwork to look at while listening to something like Mahler's Symphony No. 6 "Tragic." God, that's a great classical piece.

----------------

On 11/21/2004 3:23:57 PM GRB wrote:

WOW! Who is this guy, the Sultan of Brunei? Nice rig.

----------------

He posts frequently at Audio Asylum. He's a very knowledgeable, nice, laid-back guy, live and let live attitude, not trying to convince anyone of anything. He knows what he likes personally and can afford it.