What all 2-Channel purists must strive for...

nicholtl

Oh well, if I had the money to have an acoustically sound barn built in the mountains of Redmond (Washington or Oregon?), then sure...why not? Why not show it and his glorious sound system off to the world...In a way, we do too. We're just as proud of our audio systems, eventhough they didn't cost nearly as much, and we brag alot as well. Why shouldn't we? Who cares if he spent $250,000 on his equipment...more power to him, I say. In the end, he enjoys what he hears, even if he's the only one in the room sitting on his "throne" as he calls it. Maybe no one else in his household cares to be in there, but I'm sure he can muster up a few spare seats so guests can also enjoy it...

Just my rant!5.gif

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point. There can be a lot said about the difference between the gear-head who spends a thousand hours tinkering, toying, and tuning his 1971 Mach 1 Ford Mustang to the point of insanity, and the Wall Street suit that goes to his local Aston Martin dealership and walks out 2 hours later with the V-12 Vanquish. Two very different and unique types of pride.

Personally, I like the room Coyotee has his Khorns in better. Soon I am building an addition to my house with a room about the same size as a 2 car garage (21x25+/-). the plans are to have a vaulted ceiling and log siding on the inside walls except four feet in the corners. Over the door I need to make a sign that says either Cumberland Mine or Beggers Tomb.

I am looking into Flexicore for the flooring upstairs. Does anyone have any experience building with Flexicore?

Rick

My point was not to disparage his choices or style. It just doesn't work for me. If you got it, spend it. Keep the economy going.

Nick, not always different people with these senses. lol. I have a 68 mustang convertible in the garage I am completely restoring (one sense of pride) and of course you know the Vette is on the purchase list (another sense of pride). More importantly than pride though is the 'thrill' either provides. Oh yeah, my kids never know what to get Daddy. They know he loves stereo's, guitars, cars, and other electronic goodies but can't afford any of them. 2.gif

Dad is just happy to see the kids smile with their gifts. Thinking about buying my 5 and 12 year old their first motorcycles... both are such daredevils though. Don't need to witness them repeating all 'my' hospital visits; they are each familiar with being at the hospital from their own doings already.

In all sincerity, I would love to know what retail he works in.

If he's happy, that's what counts.

But as mentioned, most of us are happy with what we have. We have put our time in and "paid our dues."

So, as I look at that setup, I just think about another house, more space and 2 chairs.

dodger

----------------

On 11/22/2004 6:20:37 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

Note to MaxG... You should look this guy up, I see he's a member of the Audiophile Club of Athens. Maybe you could get yourself invited over, let us know if this system sounds as impressive as it looks. Heck, he might even bring another chair for you to sit in!

I will say it looks very spartan and sterile to me, but would still like to have his equipment for a test listen of a few months in a good room.

----------------

where did you see that? I cant find that info anywhere. If he is a member in greece I will make an effort to find him and go listen - just for you forum guys you understand!!!

I think this guy has got great taste in decor. Too sophisticated for me to appreciate. With regard to the tweaks he has incorporated into his system - generally I hold the view that such tweaks are a waste of money and don't work on normal affordable hi-fi. But I am prepared to be persuaded otherwise when applied to a really high resolution setup. I would like to hear this system. I think it would be an experience.

Edwin, hell yeah it would be an experience! A religious experience, I'm sure.

Maxg, that's sincerely awesome. I had no idea someone so tangible (forum-wise) was all the way in Athens, where the Gods once lived. I know nothing about the place, but I assume, since that show had just taken place there, that audio is a relatively large-scale industry as well? I've heard there's a ton a good restaurants too (I'm a certified foodie).

I'd say Rivas Audio saw this guy comming and cashed in for all they could get. Looks like the epitome of solid smoke cables taken to the nth degree. I particlarly like the tasteful design of the "Wurlitzer" speakers. If you can afford to do something like this, why are there cables running all over the floors? Classic example of more money than sense. Also - there is only one chair in the room - but the guy's been married for 30 years - must be a great relationship.

Of course I'm jealous, I'd just do everything differently.

James

I had an interesting experience this past Thanksgiving weekend down in Santa Barbara. I visited a high-end audio shop, and being their only customer, treated myself to a demo of their ultimate reference 2-channel system. It consisted of a pair of Wilson Watt Puppy 7's, Krell's SACD Standard, I forget what turntable, but I believe it was by Linn, Conrad Johnson's absolute top-of-the-line tube-based phono preamp (there were 2 components here) and tubeamp (it put out something like 140 watts x 2 channels at 8ohms), a Shunyata Hydra 8 power conditioner, and everything, from the interconnects to the powercords to the speaker cables, were Transparent Audio's flagship.

The speaker cables in particular, were Transparent Audio's Opus MM 8-meter length cables. The same ones featured in the system of the guy we're all talking about in this thread, and that's why I bring this up. These cables, the Opus MM's, retail for $30,000/pair. And I thought Nordost Valhalla and Siltech's $11,000 were the highest it gets! Boy was I wrong.

I sat in the only chair they had set up for this system, not unlike the guy we're joyfully criticizing in this thread, and while some of you might MURDER me for this, I listened to a Radiohead CD on the Krell SACD player. I decided if I was going to demo something, it might as well be a recording I know like the back of my hand, right? Better than to act pretentious and say, "oh, how about Mahler's Symphony No. 3" and have utterly no clue if such a concerto even exists.

So I'm willing to admit that perhaps it's because it was simpy a CD that I felt this way, as opposed to spinning a vinyl record or hi-rez album, but here's how I felt nonetheless:

The system probably retailed in at something like $100-150K. As I mentioned, the speaker cables alone were $30K. The speakers were around $22K. I can only imagine what the Conrad Johnson gear clocked in at. And while I admit I heard subtle transients and nuances in the Radiohead recording that I had not previously heard, even when not concentrating, what struck me as powerful as a sledgehammer to the chest was how unremarkable the system sounded. It sounded good, great even, but simply not magical. Not even close.

I am not able to write an in-depth analysis (because it's late and I'm tired) of what I heard, or scribe my deepest and darkest vortex of emotions into succinct and legible sentiments, but what I will part with is this: this weekend alone has changed my ENTIRE outlook on high-end equipment. I am willing to say that perhaps my ears are not as perceptive nor as acute as I believe them to be, but if you subject me to any listening tests I think I would prove you wrong. I also could take into account that my own system is so good that it has spoiled my ears such that even fantastic equipment makes me but merely blink. But I doubt that to be true either...

So whereas only a few weeks ago I remember arguing in one thread about the necessity of uber high-end cables if one had the means to acquire it, I've now had my idealology completely flipped, turned, and swiftly shattered. This truly dream-class 2-channel system did not do what on paper, spec wise, anyone would believe it to have done. Bring me to audio nirvana.

It simply didn't happen.

Wilson Audio. Conrad Johnson. Transparent Audio. Krell.

Our Klipsch sounds just as good as they. Or maybe it's more appropriate to say that THEY all sound just as good as Klipsch.

----------------

On 11/22/2004 9:01:05 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Personally, I like the room Coyotee has his Khorns in better... Rick

----------------

Wow, thank you. I was surprised to see my name/room mentioned. Kind of shocked anyone really noticed.

You DO know that the wife gets all the credit though (and she wants the K-horns OUTTA there asap & downstairs)

I'll add that this guys room strikes me as lonely/steril also.

I'd bet he drives a cool car though... perhaps a 1 seater?

1.gif

Well, this thread seems to be in the direction of if it sounds good to you (me, us), that's what counts.

And that IS so true. Yes a room and all of the equipment, tweaks and money spent is nice to look at, fun for us to take some potshots at. But if the owner likes it and it sounds good, or great, to him (her) that's all that really counts.

I did like the analogy to classic cars vs walk in buy expensive. I would love to get another 1973 dodge Challenger, but it would have to be a Canadian made model. They had adjustable headrests.

Part of our hobby is getting the best sound available today and fulfilling some of the dreams of younger days. I know it is for me.

The age around 50 years old is bittersweet. Remembering some of the past like it was yesterday, dealing with health issues and the reality of today. I found out Friday that one of my GodSons is headed for Iraq. His Dad is retiring and His Mother had a hip replaced. It was just yesterday that he was Baptized, I was with my ex-wife and I had 109 under my Command. I had a Minister that I felt truly believed what he preached. Now there is a Minister that is a member of the Forum who gives more consolation, I have a ton of equipment that I will not use but was what I wanted.

I live too much in the past but am aware of today. I'm sorry, I'm just in one of those moods. I'll end this rant.

Thanks for letting me vent.

dodger

Very nice setup indeed, I am very happy for the guy. If he enjoys it and it brings him happiness then that is all that matters.

But I have one quirk with the guy, I was reviewing his musical tastes and I did not find any rock, now Jazz I like, Classical yes but POP???? I would have dumped the pop in favor of Rock!!!!!

I like all types of music from Bach to Rock9.gif

For all the $$$$ he has in it, I'm surprised at his mixed-bag attention to power issues. No mention of RFI or EMI filtering, just cable elevators and cryo'd outlets. Plus, those Elrod power cords are enormous EMI generators, so much so that, in my brief experience with them, I couldn't get them near my K-horns. I'm still fiddling with power matters in my place -- the next step is to add a new dedicated circuit and use armored (BX or "MC") cabling in place of the current romex, and "star grounding" the new and existing circuits.

Larry

----------------

On 11/28/2004 4:08:21 AM jheis wrote:

..."If you can afford to do something like this, why are there cables running all over the floors? Classic example of more money than sense."

----------------

I thought about that too, James. If price was no object, I'd certainly find a means to run all cables and wires through dedicated wall/floor outlets. All those wires running along the floor are definately a safety hazard. Unless he's the only one in there, which is most likely the case since he only has his "throne" in place.

Well, you know, mice and rats, sometimes squirrels, tend to gnaw on tasty speaker wires when they're in the walls. It's safer to have the wires out in the room because rodents are wary of being captured by cats or dogs, tossed in the air and tortured until dead.