girlfriends gonna get me for christmass

archady

So I have gone crazy ever since aquiring my forte II, klipsch speakers are what I think about as I am waking up in the morning. can anyone relate?

any way I want to get...... well I want alot but realistically Its more than I can afford right now but my girfreind wants to get me some speakers for christmass and my yamaha has these presence speaker hookups that I recently hooked up to try with their dsp's and I was really impressed with them but they are supposed to be high of the ground and three feet out on either side of the mains. my question is she was looking at the ss1 synergy so that I can mount them to the wall, what are peoples thoughts of the two horns on the side as opposed to a single front firing tweeter horn and is their a possible better match keeping in mind their just presence speakers and need to be light weight so I can screw them into my apartment wall?

allow me to decipher. Our new friend has (congratualtions) Forte II main speakers and a Yamaha HT receiver. Oh, yes and a girlfriend (congratulations again). He is considering using the Yamaha's presense outputs for the 'effects- front' channels.

I would first ask our normal series of questions:

Do you mostly listen to TV/theatre or stereo?

How large is your room?

What receiver do you have?

What center channel and surround speakers do you have?- You should have these solidly in place prior to going from 5.1 to 7.1 type system, in other words, get rear speakers prior to worrying about the front presence. The localization of rear sound is much more important than more zippy sound effects in front of you, n'est ce pas?

Hope this helps. Next time take more breaths as you type. and spend more time thinking about the gf.

Michael

First of all I was in a hurry and I apologize for the speed freak

like grammer. I am new to this and was busy, wanted to get the post in before I left so there might be replies when I arrived home. Not the kind that I first recieved mind you, Maybe something less sarcastic and more helpful like the second one, to wich I now reply.

I do realize that the surrounds and center are of much more importance than the presence. Which I believe will be all heritage. Hopefully someday La scala fronts forte II rears and an elusive academy center. Basically my frantic first post was

asking what people thought were a good light weight surround to use as presence speakers.

I would encourage her to get you RB-35's. You can then have a little DIY project building shelves for them after Christmas.

Using a pair of dipoles as front effects in the Yammy proprietary setup would be disasterous - the signal to these channels is extracted from the front L/R and side surrounds - you'd have some major smearing of the overall surround field.

Brunette, hard worker, full time college student jugglin two jobs

best thing that has ever happened to me. Oh ten years my junior.

Cons list: two Persion cats to go home to when she's had enough of me.

btw Thanks for the info, But she is currently high bidder on the ss1's on ebay screen name bluemunky and unless that changes I am going to incorporate them somewhere

I would not go with SS-1's at all, hopefully you will get outbid! Keep with the same timbre (sonic signature), I would get a pair of KG1's instead! They will sound much, much better than the SS-1's (Sound Sprayer 1's) there are a couple of pairs available on eBay right now.

KG1's are sealed they are beautifully finished in real wood veneer, sound fabulous and are small enough to mount on walls and will match your Forte II's nicely, much better than the SS-1's or a reference series speaker. Get some KG1's you will not regret it. You should be able to score a pair for a reasonable cost.

I use a pair in my little girl's system with an Onkyo TX-906 85W per channel receiver and they sound unreal!

Kindly disregard the girlfriend comments. Realize that we are for the most part, techno-junkies who can sometimes only speak in 0's and 1's. We have left our S.O.'s for a pile of equipment. I use photos of my models as my avatar (little title photo to the left <---) and am constantly asked to provide close-ups etc.

That being said, ss1's are really the bottom of the barrel Klipsch-wise. Please consider the advice of other wise posters (the # of posts is a general indicator or wisdom, not to be entirely relied upon), who say to get a proper bookshelf direct-radiator speaker. The Yamaha adds PLENTY of it's own reverb and special magic, you don't need to also bounce the sound off the walls, dare I say, BOSE-style.

We're certain gf is rich as well as smart,foxy and yes, young (yum,yum), perhaps a KG type speaker or even a KSB might be preferable to the ss. Do you have thoughts as to what other speakers will eventually be in your arsenal. If it were me, I'd get something I could use a small rear surrounds temporarily, that could then be advanced to front effects when you upgrade your rear surrounds. YOU HAVE TO START AT THE REAR.

Michael

I disagree that the ss1's are the bottom of the barrel speakers,I own a set and am pretty pleased with them. However, If I were you I would take a look at the rb35's. As soon as I can recover from my new receiver purchase (Marantz sr7500) I plan on upgrading to the rb35's.

GG

I see your girlfriend already won the auction for a pair of new in box SS-1's. I'm sure they will work decent for you, but I would use them in the rear, and not as front effects. That is really nice of her though realizing that she does not have a ton of money being a hard working college student. My wife is 12 yrs my junior and we get along great, she was a hard working college student as well when I met her 9 yrs ago. You and your girlfriend are welcome to stop over anytime for a big Heritage demo. I just picked up Spiderman 2 today should be awesome with what I have below. Enjoy!!

Alright dude, now you've got some speakers for surround. Please don't take my comment about 'bottom of barrel' to heart. Even the lowest of Klipsch line KICKS A$$ over bose and other brands.

I would however, hook em up as normal rear speakers first, they can always 'graduate' to front effects. Then rent or buy a nice chick flick, Harry met Sally, or your gals favorite holiday movie. Get some nog, whatever that is, or her fave poison, then let her help you put up the tree, then roll around under it... you get the idea. THANK HER PROFUSELY for sharing in your hobby. There's only a few guys on this board who have ladies as COOL as yours, so make sure to let her know this!! And get her kitties little stockings of treats for Christmas. (one per cat please, she probably treats them like her children) Once a cat person always a cat person, you'll get used to it. At your age, you're still young enough for her to train you. LOL

Have fun and ROCK ON

Michael