Favorite Christmas album

endover

----------------

On 12/1/2004 8:17:39 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Duke Pearson's "Merry Ole Soul" on Blue Note. Time to break it out! It hasn't been on the Thorens in just about a year!

"<a
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000D8RUK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg" border="0">

----------------

Allan stole my thunder here but for those who want a great CD set that has most of this LP on it, there's a Mosaic 3-CD Duke Pearson box set that's really good. Comes up on ebay occasionally and can be had for about $40. Don't think it can be purchased new.

----------------

On 11/30/2004 10:29:37 PM dougdrake wrote:

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Christmas Eve and Other Stories. Their rendition of Oh Holy Night moves me to tears every time! (track 2)

----------------

Damn straight! TSO is by far my most favorite when it comes to Christmas music

Still, I found I really like thier latest album, The Lost Christmas Eve the best myself. Especially Track 2, which is the title track, "The Lost Christmas Eve".

Also, I found another album that is pretty cool:

The Best of Narada Christmas. Many of these are your typical traditional type songs, such as "I Saw Three Ships", or "O Come All Ye Faithful", but done in a pretty cool, New Age style. A nice, fresh approach to hearing a lot of these timeless classics.

On 12/1/2004 8:17:39 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Duke Pearson's "Merry Ole Soul" on Blue Note. Time to break it out! It hasn't been on the Thorens in just about a year!

----------------

I'll put my jazz stamp of approval on this Holiday Album. Both the CD and LP can sometimes be found on eBay. CD is avalilable in 24 bit RVG Edition as pictured.

MOS.jpg

I'm going to enlist the aid of Larry Clair on this one.

It is, Into the Pine Forest, from PIT's Nutcracker.

It seems to me this is not a sleigh ride into an actual forest, but rather gazing into the interior of a Christmas tree (the area inside the exterior surface of lights and decoration) which transform into the next scenes of the lands where the inhabitants of Christmas trees reside. This is in keeping with the fantacy of the ballet.

Also, the musical theme of that piece is used in the Star Gate movie and TV series, sort of jazzed up. Larry, does it seem that way to you? There is some congruence in theme of travel to another land.

- - - -

It is heartwarming to hear the "recovered from being a Scrooge" or "never was a Scrooge" or "resisting from being a Scrooge" themes. I've been there.

I conclude that Christmas is not a time for the faint hearted. We must be brave, strong, and resolute.

There is a legit complaint about the relentless vapid music in all surroundings this time of year. However we somehow survive "classic rock" on the FM spectrum and supermarket Rumors for the rest of the year. Certainly we can hang on for two months.

Smile,

Gil

Gil

Gil,

Saw you name and beelined straight for this post. Expected nothing less eloquent from you. Thanks again. Is the music you noted available or a rarity? Sounds fascinating from your description. But then again you could make a bag of marshmellows sound fascinating.

Michael

Umm, thanks for the kind words.

Please excuse spelling.

Actually, this is pretty much off the shelf classical music by Peter Illich Tchycovski. There are probably 100 recordings. You've heard Dance of the Sugar Plum Faries. It is from the same ballet.

Classical can be difficult to appreciate. I saw a production by the Joffre Ballet here in ORD land a few years ago. To some extent, ballet is multimedia from the ages. This is what the masters did before cinema and computer generated images.

It takes the right occasion to get into classical. "I like to dream (bump, bump), right between the sound machine." If you get on the same wavelenght, and allow some imagination, it is wonderful brain food.

- - -

My lack of real knowledge about classical showed up in viewing Star Gate. The opening scene is dramatic and I was taken by the music. Gee, this guy is good, real good. Then I gave myself a head slap in later days, realizing it was stolen Tchycovski.

The other thing about the movie is that it implies the Egyptian heiroglyphics are symbolic. Not so, but an interesting piece of the plot. They are actually phonetic symbols, like our alpha beta.

One of the best written books out there is (for anything) "The Code Book" by Simon Sing (sp). It is about cryptology. However there is a chapter about heiroglyphics and the Rosetta Stone. Even more interesting is the chapter about decyphering of the Mycenean text written in what was called "Linear B".

If you have any geek on the Santa list, do go to Borders and buy this.

Best,

Gil

I'm into some of the rock 'n' roll Christmas songs (vs traditional). Right now I'm listening to "Please Come Home For Christmas" by The Eagles. And now a version of "Merry Christmas Baby" by James Brown just came up on my playlist. Cool horns. Another song I can play over and over is "All I Want For Christmas Is You" by Vince Vance & The Valiants. First heard this song on WQSR out of Baltimore and had to track it down.

• 3 weeks later...

Just found a great one in my pile-o-albums. "Jingle Bell Jazz." Duke Ellington, Lionel Hampton, Carmen McRae, Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck and more. Classic Christmas music collection from previously released albums. Didn't even know I had it until tonight.

Merry Christmas.1.gif