Oh no, thinking about going to the dark side...

kenratboy

BOSE!!!

Well, not THAT dark, but close. Thinking instead of the Synergy system, I will do this:

Mains: StudioMonitor 450, $660/pr. - http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/studiomonitor/studiomonitor.html#sm450

Center: C/L/R 2000, $650/ea. - http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/clr/clr.html#2000

Surrounds: StudioMonitor 450, $660/pr. - http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/studiomonitor/studiomonitor.html#sm450

Retail (actuall selling price) for the package would be about $2,000, but I am special, so the price does not count. I was playing with the StudioMonitor 450's and I was impressed. Really low bass (check out the link) and the sound was very nice.

Still looking. I am in no hurry, I have my Chorus II's to keep me company.

3K+ posts and you're thinkiing of switching teams? One spec tells it all- efficiency. Go to a store where you can take these babies head to head. Your proposed 'mains' boast 90db efficiency. Maybe you're saving a buck on speakers, but you'll get killed when you buy enough amps to project as much volume as Klipsch would. I've got a pair of small Definitive Bi-polars and they are basically non-existent in a setup with any Klipsch speakers, including my KSB-1.1's at $62 each.

Remember the 3db rule. It takes DOUBLE the wattage to gain 3 db.

Lets say you want to top out at 115 db, which gives you fairly good headroom for peaks for 'normal' listening (whatever that is) at 80db. Do the math with Klipsch speakers first. There is a massive number of designs of different genres that boast between 93-98 dB without spending a fortune. Lets use 96 as a typical Klipsch.

96 at 1 watt

99 at 2 watts

102 at 4

105 at 8

108 at 16

110 at 32

113 at 64

116 at 128, which is what most top end HT receivers would output.

Now let's try it with your 'cost saving' speakers

90 at 1 watt

93 at 2 watts

96 at 4 watts

99 at 8 watts

102 at 16

105 at 32

108 at 64

110 at 128

113 at 256

116 at 512 watts !!!! needed to the get same volume with these that you get from Klipsch at 128 watts! Happy Amp shopping! Hope you have some big industrial racks to put them on.

My boss at PA company in 80's used to do this excercise with us. How many bose cabinets and how many watts would it take to give the same volume as ONE Klipsch LaScala driven by one channel of Crown DC300A? It was like a football field full of bose boxes and a bajillion watts. SPEAKER EFFICIENCY ALWAYS PAYS OFF!

Michael

Please also note that nowhere in their literature do they give the -3dB down point for their claimed frequency response. A no-no in serious hi-fi circles. Also most of the review of their systems from independent magazines were with a powered subwoofer of some type (even their powermonitor series which gives you separate biamp amp for the woofer in the 5 main cabinets). so you've left this $699 item off of your list.

Do the math again. Klipsch Rocks and you know it or you wouldn't be here.

I'll get off my soapbox now. KLIPSCH WHERE"S MY T-SHIRT!

Ken, I just checked- you're 19. don't play Linkin Park or Tool through wimpy speakers! Even if you listen to your Dad's Led Zep- get a MAN"S cabinet.

okay, if you're into orchestra, get the Definitives LOL.(kidding!)

Michael

I listened to the 450's side by side with Paradigm Monitor 3's and Klipsch RB 35's when my brother in law was getting into a home theater system. The 450's were tossed out of the mix quickly. The 35's ended up winning out due to the better dynamics, but the Monitor 3's were surprisingly close. The 450's just didn't have what it takes, and this is not with a bias against Def Tech as you see in my sig., I own a pair. I also echo the earlier comment that the 24hz is a stretch. My BP 6's are supposedly rated to somewhere in that range, but in listening to them, I don't feel confident that they reach that low (within 3 dB).

take your best sounding CD - in this sense i mean best recorded with lots of clean definition and go and listen on the def techs.....

you will get a big sound - room filling type of sound...... but the defintion - the "crispness" of the sound will in no way compare to the klipsch sound.....

in my search for speakers about 3 years ago, i listened to def tech side by side with RF-3's..... not even close in terms of clarity and definition.... the RF-3's were clearly superior...... then after a week of owning the RF-3's, i found an excellent pair of KLF-30's at a local pawn shop for $600.... the RF-3's were quickly sold to a co-worker who loved them.....

and...as the poets say... the rest is history!

1.gif

You listening Ken? We've given you the tech side and the studied listeners side. what more do you want. Stay with yer big K's. Invest in a center, surounds and matching sub to your Chorus II and you'll be in heaven.

Incidentally, do you do more HT or music listening? What type of musics? Room size? this all matters to those trying to give you guidance.

and listen to your elders young man (dude I'm 46, act about 25 myself, we're not ancient here) I got maced at a Led Zep concert back in 1977.

Michael

Being that I do own Definitive Technologies speakers I am gona give my opinion of this, if you don't mind.

For one, those Monitor 450's DO NOT play down to 24 HZ. Only the 2 larger powered towers that Def Tech makes actually get that low. Or at least they are the only ones you could hear anything from them when they get that low.

I bought my Def Techs cause I auditioned them with music, and loved the sound they reproduced. After about 2 months of haveing them at home, I realized I listen to very little music and mostly movies, and these things do not have the sound that I want for movies. They are too smooth and laid back sounding to produce the dynamics of a movie soundtrack very accurately. They don't give me the feel that I am in a cinema.

I don't regret my purchase, I am just holding on to my Def Techs tell I have enough money to upgrade my whole system, tv and all, once I buy a house in the next year or two. If you are like me and don't listen to much music, and only mostly movies, do yourself a favor and stick with speakers with Horns.

< Sarcasm >

KenRatBoy, dont listen to these guysget anything BUT Klipsch. That way you can sell me your C IIs. What finish are they? The check is already made out to you where should I mail it?

< /Sarcasm >

Seriously, keep the C IIs and fill in the rest of your needs with the rest of the Heritage line.

Ken, you're making this so much harder and so much more costly than it has to be.

Instead of $650 for a CLR 2000, spend $600 for an Academy.

Instead of $660 for StudioMonitor 450s, spend less than that for a set of Quartets.

Instead of $660 for the other SM 450s, get a Harman Kardon AVR 430.

You should still have money left over AND you'll have a better system.

Now come over here so I can smack you. 2.gif

Thought I'd just add my 2 cents. I really think it's up to your own listening tastes and preferences. All speakers have their own unique characteristics and "personality" for lack of better words. My first set of speakers I purchased were KEF Q70's I auditioned the Definitive Technologies and also Klipsch. Back then I thought the Kef's were much smoother/refined and the Klipsch were too bright and edgy. I liked the DT's but I didn't like the sock and piano top finish (I figured the top would get scratched up and the sock ripped). My older brother in the mean time purchased a Legend set up (KLF 30's and KLF C7) and most of my family thought they are huge ugly boxes that are again, overly bright (to say the least they don't like horns). But now I own klipsch and am in the process of securing a pair of Heresy's because my tastes have changed - not because I feel they are far superior to KEF or DT, but rather I now find myself enjoying their unique qualities (but I am a big Klipsch fan now). So to one his own, and in the end all you have to think about is what will put that big smile on your face when you listen you your media.

Ken, Ken, Ken. Give me that pipe and sit in the corner. =)

I echo what Minn said about room-filling sound vs. realism and clarity. And that isn't to say Synergies can't flood your room with acoustic bliss like a river through a broken dam, either. Better to go for transparency first and foremost, because how filling or satisfying they will be is going to chiefly result from your power source anyhow.

You bought a pair of lovely Chorus II's just a few weeks ago. Have you already forgotten the power, the sound, and the fury of Klipsch?