Amp for the RF-7 series?

HandofErebus

About to purchase the RF-7 setup, but i'm not too sure what amp to get. The place i'm getting it recommended one (don't remember which one off the top of my head), which was about a grand. I would like to spend a little less if possible on the amp, but i'm not sure if i can/should. Anyone out there have any recommendations for me? Any input appreciated ;)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome, to the forum. This is just my opinion but look to a warm sounding amp or receiver. Names that come to mind quickly: NAD, Rotel, Marantz, Sunfire maybe Denon. Watch out for low end Yamaha products they tend to sound bright & also stay away from SONY and any other Best Buy product line. Even though very efficient the RF's need a good power source to make them sing. If you are just starting a good way is to get a good receiver with quality pre section along with preouts to give you flexability. You can then add an external amp and when the receiver gets old replace it with a dedicated pre-amp. Hope this helps.

HandofErebus: Welcome to the forum! It's great to have you here!

Dylanl is correct: It is recommended that you seek a "warm-sounding" amplfier. And give plenty of consideration to the amount of wattage you plan to drive your RF-7's with. These are certainly very effcicent speakers, but you must allow for an unused portion of your power to serve a "headroom". After all, you obviously choose you RF-7's because you are after great sound. That can't happen if your amplifier is constantly working at or near its own limitations. Garbage in/garbage out! So, be certain to buy enough quality, clean power to allow your RF-7's to amaze you for years to come. Best of luck!

Hand - just to be clear on terminology. When you say "amp," are you referring to a receiver (processor and amp all in one)? Or do you literally mean an amp - and will be using a separate processor? Because if we are talking about amps, the processor actually has more overall effect on the sound (as opposed to sound function the amp provides).

I'm guessing you probably meant receiver - and if so, there are some good suggestions above. Some have also liked B&K integrateds, but the B&K processors are a little too bright for my tastes (with the Reference series).

Carl.

I'm also guessing he meant receiver. If you're looking at spending less than $1000, and you strictly wanted an outboard amp, then I say good luck. Outlaw or used/b-stock Rotel would be the only products that would fit the price, as far as I can think of. And personally, I don't think either of those sound warm in the slighest.

If you meant receivers, then thank God, as your budget gives you a plethora of choices. B&K and Pioneer Elite would be my main two, with Denon and HK trailing close behind.

If 2 channel music is your primary concern, I'd highly recommend a vintage Scott 299 tube integrated. You could get one up to spec for about $600 and (in my opinion) NO receiver out there will touch it for sonics. I'm guessing a vintage Eico or Fisher would also yield great results although I don't have much experience with those. I use a Yamaha RX-V1400 which is great for home theater but can't touch the Scott for pure, sweet music. Just my two cents...

Thanks for the welcome guys. When i say amp, i mean receiver. What I was originally wondering is if i can spend that little, or if i even should. I know the RF-7 need a good receiver to drive them, but I'm just kind of pricing out what what you guys would recommend to use. I don't want to spend a WHOLE lot more then 1k, as I do have somewhat of a budget, but It's nice to save money where I can. Anyone with the RF-7 series want to tell me which receiver they're using? I'll look around for prices if I've got some model numbers. Thanks for all the reply's guys!

I am using a Pioneer Elite with the RF-7s. I like the sound.

The receiver needs to be able to drive low impedances, since the RF-7s drop below 3 ohms at times. Pioneer Elite, NAD and H/K do well with the load presented by the RF-7s. The Pioneer Elites in your price range would be the VSX-54TX and the 56TXi.

Bill

----------------

On 12/6/2004 8:21:34 AM Darren wrote:

If you can, listen to the Rotel and B&K. Both are very nice, match well with the RF-7s and are good values.
----------------

I agree with Darren about the B&K (I haven't heard Rotel) receiver. You are looking at the right time as B&K just came out with the new flagship receiver, the AVR 507II. This means that the prices on the 507 and 307 have just dropped. Check out audiogon and maybe even Ebay to see if you can pick one up from someone who is upgrading.

David

I have a Denon 3805 receiver running my RF 7 setup, but would like to add an outboard amp to power them as well and have been considering a pro audio source i.e.--Crown XLS 402 as I have heard raves about them on the avsforum. Great power for the price, but I was unaware if anyone had attempted such a setup or had any opinions?