Can anyone help with the SKINNY?

OnMedic

Good day!

It has been a while since my last visit here, but duty has called and I am now on to a new project... my great room.

I got the basement home theatre finished last year with the help of all the great people here... 35's all around!

Now I am on to the Great Room, which will be more of a generic/common room. I already have Energy E:XL's all around centered by a Tau TV. I am down to the receiver and was hoping I could get some advice. I am short on space, so need to look at the slim lines exclusively. I have some down to the following on my short list:

Kenwood VRS-7100 - USD$274

Pioneer Elite EX-500 (VSX-50 + DV-50A)- USD$349

Onkyo YX-LR552 - USD$299

Thoughts/Feedback on these slim receivers?

Thanks!

STeve

Guest Anonymous

well i used to sell kenwood, and unless its the sovreign line i would stay away, and even that line to me isn't that speacil, but the reason that i would not recomend the knewood stuff is because it was the most brought back item for service, i recieved more kenwood recievers due to problems from poor design and parts burning out, about a year and a half ago there was a massive recall as the transformers in the kenwoods were an extreme hazard, personally i would stay away... on the other hand i personally have had great luck with onkyo and have owned 3 onkyo recievers and all of them have been very good to me, and i forgot which reciever was the third that you had mentioned....

Well......... The VRS-7100 is a new design for June 2004 and I am hoping is as good as I expect and read about it. I pulled the trigger on the VRS-7100 tonite at a great price of $230.00 plus shipping. This is not my main theatre room, so it won't get real heavy usage and when it is used, won;t be at extremely high volumes. It apears to have great features and should sound great with my Energy speakers. I would have realy like the Onkyo, but couldn't justify the extra $$$ for the room it is going to be used in, although $299 is an amazing deal!

Thanks for the feedback!

I am glad you liked the Kenwood. This is a new release and is pure digital... They will actually be hooked up in the great room to Energy speakers. I have the Klipsch in the HT hooked up to a Yamaha for now, but will upgrade to something a little more extrav. sometime in the future. Not really in spending mode right now so future upgrades to the HT will be a few years away.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am glad you liked the Kenwood. This is a new release and is pure digital... They will actually be hooked up in the great room to Energy speakers. I have the Klipsch in the HT hooked up to a Yamaha for now, but will upgrade to something a little more extrav. sometime in the future. Not really in spending mode right now so future upgrades to the HT will be a few years away.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the feedback.