rega planar 2 & MMf-7 for sale

radiob

Thought I would let you guys know first before I list them on audiogon. The planar 2 has a new audio technica ml440 cartridge rb250 arm new cond w box $300.00. The MMF-7 has the factory cart/arm and is less than 3 months old paid 1100, sell 600. looking to upgrade to scoutmaster or orgin live.

----------------

On 12/7/2004 6:59:51 PM kjohnsonhp wrote:

I am interested in the MMF-7....I have an MMF-5 which I could sell towards the 7..... question....what kind of improvement should I expect? I wonder is this is worth the step or make a bigger one...or simply add a $300 cart like the Dynavector to my 5

----------------

I upgraded from the planar 2 to the MMF-7 and heard a huge improvement in soundstage detail, darker background, and alot higher extension of upper freqs. Kick drums seem a lot tighter also. This could be due to the fact of the HO M/C cartidge. The MMF-7 is a great deck, however it has let me know what actual high end turntables can sound like, and has given me the intrest to move to the next level of tables.

----------------

On 12/7/2004 6:59:51 PM kjohnsonhp wrote:

or simply add a $300 cart like the Dynavector to my 5

----------------

I was going to upgrade carts on my MMF7 and found out from posts on audiogon that the mmf tables are not very cartridge freindly, the goldring erotica is about as good as you can tweek out of the table. The Shure v15 is supposed to work well also.

KJ,

For $600 when you factor in your sale of your MMF5 it's no brainer grab it ! The MMF-7 has many features above the MMF-5. One thing I would ask first though is how many hours is on the cartridge and what shape records it was used with but if its only 3 months old one would think its fairly fresh.

Craig

I"ve been traveling for work...but I am interested. Here are my concerns...

1. The 7 has a moving coil cart you say...so I assume I need a step up device as my pre-amp is MM ready only...I will need to find out how much that costs.

2. How is the cartridge? I've seen needles bent where they ride low or crooked,etc. I've I don't need a new needle then it does seem very attractive....also what is the reply to NOS Valves question about hours,handling, condition of lps,etc....I can assume good things but need to verify.

3.Shipping cost?

4. Any damage to note...ie cracked top, chipped plinth,etc....would assume not

Regards,

Ken

Then I should get the 7 assuming it doesn't need a new cart and doesn't have any damage.

I need to determine a fair price for my 5. It's about 1 year old...no damage but the cartridge seems to ride low...the needle seems to have lost some suspension stiffness---I don't think I have too much weight. Worst case the buyer could get a new needle...aren't they only like $40 (not cart...just needle). I was chatting on audiocircle about this several months ago.

I'll look at audiogon, etc. for some data points.

Thanks for the info...

----------------

On 12/8/2004 6:02:50 AM radiob wrote:

Ithe goldring erotica is about as good as you can tweek out of the table.

----------------

Don't folks charge by the minute for that kind of thing?

File under "Funny typos"....

----------------

On 12/9/2004 10:22:27 PM kjohnsonhp wrote:

I"ve been traveling for work...but I am interested. Here are my concerns...

1. The 7 has a moving coil cart you say...so I assume I need a step up device as my pre-amp is MM ready only...I will need to find out how much that costs.

2. How is the cartridge? I've seen needles bent where they ride low or crooked,etc. I've I don't need a new needle then it does seem very attractive....also what is the reply to NOS Valves question about hours,handling, condition of lps,etc....I can assume good things but need to verify.

3.Shipping cost?

4. Any damage to note...ie cracked top, chipped plinth,etc....would assume not

Regards,

Ken

----------------

[/blockquote

1. it has a high output moving coil, it will work with a preamp for a mm cart.

2. the cartridge is the factory unit, I have the receipt for the TT and you can verify that it was purchased from scsoundgallery in sept of this year. You can e-mail them at www.scsoundgallery.com they know me very well, they are my local high end retailer. I paid 1250 for the unit w tax.

3. the albums which I play are all new, purchased from Music Direct, I would guess unit has 100 hours on it at the most.I will check into shipping cost, the best thing would be, for me to tape the arm in position, find a double box that the unit can fit in assembled, then weigh it for ship cost. I would guess that shipping w insurance couldnt exceed 50 bucks, but I will check. If you want the original box, e-mail scsoungallery, and they can ship it to you. I left it there when I purchased it, and they do still have it, and they will send it to you if you want it.

----------------

On 12/10/2004 2:41:36 AM bclarke421 wrote:

----------------

On 12/8/2004 6:02:50 AM radiob wrote:

Ithe goldring erotica is about as good as you can tweek out of the table.

----------------

Don't folks charge by the minute for that kind of thing?

File under "Funny typos"....

----------------

I also keep the turntable coated with B.L.O., a tweek that has been around for years.

KJ,

Not sure if your aware of this but when moving up the cartridge scale to Moving Coils like the MMF-7 has the Stylus is not a simple slide on replacement. When the stylus wears out or is damaged you have to either send it out for a re-tip job or buy a new Cartridge. Just wanted you to know its the price of High End analog. It pays to be very careful with the use and setup of this type cartridge to limit wear and damage.

Craig