DIY Crossover Upgrades

Deang

I picked up those same caps from ebay also, was very happy

with the price and performance.

I'll have to find the sellar's name again!

Nice work you guy's have done hear. very nice indead!

I was wondering though if you guy's had considered doing

external xovers as most of my mods lately have been that

way. (makes it much easier for tweaking "if you want")

Is it the looks or some other reason? Just curious!

Dean,

Referring back to page one of this lengthy discourse. You mentioned the difficulty of removing solder from the boards. I have found it useful, on occasion, to put more back on. Use some cheap stuff with a lot of rosin in it. It will flow easily, and mix with the original, and then be easier to remove.

Marvel

Marvel:

An EXCELLENT suggestion, and one I use OFTEN when reworking damaged circuit boards. Adding solder to an existing joint affords a better distribution of heat, and helps melt the original solder more quickly, making the whole solder mass easier to remove!

Popbumper

Hmmm. I've just been using my propane torch. You don't think that's too hot do you? LOL.

Pretty cool idea. So is Mike's when he told me to use the bulb first, then finish with the braid. Funny how the obvious totally gets away from me sometimes. Thanks guys.

• 11 years later...

Alright! Have my Chorus x-overs done except for dampening? Thinking this means putting maybe some silicone versus hot glue stick just to keep caps from vibrations? Probably have a glue gun/stick around here somewhere but, just bought a tube of silicone here local and am going to use that instead.

Please, have I lost my way?

Decided on letting a local computer tech install the kit I got from Dean.(Should have sent crossovers to him 2 years ago instead of thinking I would diy)

Revived thread as you can see. Read thread last weekend. Good stuff and...TIAB)

Alrighty! After reading for a couple of hours on this subforum on silicone versus  this or that, I have come to the distinct conclusion that my GE silicone series II will not emit enough outgassing to either permanently etch my caps to a detrimental condition or, the pcb. As it happens though, and quite by accident, I happened to come into contact with a capacitor while blowing a bubble with Bazooka super bubble chewing gum. Well, needless to say...viola. Oh...a little bit goes a long way. Curing time  is negligible as, it seems it will work in almost any chewed condition. However, I do recommend chewing enough to eliminate most of the sugars present.

YMMV

Over 10 years ago, wow - feels like twenty. :-)

I still don't know what to think about potting a network, even though several reputable manufacturers still do it. Almost everyone uses epoxy to do it. 

Are you done yet?