O/T GIFT FOR TROOPS OVERSEAS

dodger

Greetings:

AT&T has a program where you can donate minutes from your AT&T calling cards to Troops overseas.

If you don't have a calling card, I'm not sure how to do it. But you could call 1-800-222-0300 (AT&T) and probably get the info that way. Or buy an AT&T calling card dial the 800 number, punch in the card number and it's explained there.

A nice gift so someone could call home for the Holidays. Also a kind of thank you.

Win dodger

EDIT POST:

Cluless passed another possibly better way in posting. I'm lousy at CCP or I would add it. The Post is about 6 down. Thanks Cluless.

END EDIT

----------------

On 12/8/2004 4:19:47 PM nicholtl wrote:

If there was an award for most thoughtful, most selfless, and most giving person on this board, it would be you Win.

We need more people in this world like you.

PS- what if I'm a Verizon customer?

----------------

I am truly humbled and thank for those words.

Probably if you can find an AT&T calling card, buy it call the 800 number, punch in the card number and donate them.

We're lucky to be in the "wealthier" of the States. I know of some in West Virginia in Iraq that would not be able to call any other way. It just has to be an AT&T card.

Take Care,

Win dodger

EDIT POST:

Could people please keep this near the top? It's a great thing and all minutes are going to the Troops, no charges for Administering it.

On behalf of the Troops related and for Friends in Iraq, Thank You.

END EDIT

At our VFW post (4063, Perry, MI.) we regularly package "gift boxes" for shipment to our troops in Iraq. I know the phone cards are a big hit with our soldiers but there are also other items on thier wish/need list. Disposable instant cameras are also in great demand. I'll gather some info on items they need and post it tomorrow for those interested.

Shipping is quite expensive. We sent three 16"x16"x8" boxes to Iraq recently and the expense was over $100.00! Again, I'll post more info tomorrow.

Woof!

----------------

On 12/9/2004 10:03:04 AM cluless wrote:

this might be a better deal.

Note: the 550 unit card is 137 or 183 minutes

the 200 unit card is 50 or 66 minutes

----------------

Thanks for checking the Military cards out.

Where I live, my area code, the ratio is 11 to 1.

Whichever, it's a good way to show support and to let families hear each other's voice.

dodger

----------------

On 12/8/2004 4:19:47 PM nicholtl wrote:

If there was an award for most thoughtful, most selfless, and most giving person on this board, it would be you Win.

We need more people in this world like you.

----------------

Yep, ol Dodger does have the nac to bring out the good! His name always throws me for a loop though. I always thing LA Dodgers. 1.gif

yep, phone calls are sooo very nice during a deployment. keeps you grounded and breaks up the tension a little, even if it is for 6 minutes.

however, i am sure the elevated call costs are due to paying the civilians to maintain the phones/lines/sat links over in "beheading territory". you gotta remember, defense/offense isn't what these civilians train for day to day back home.

Hmm, back to the issues of:

1) Where the heck is Andy or any of our friends overseas. How to send a CARE package to him and his buddies.

2) He was telling us how the infantry needs an extra pair of dry socks. Easier to send than sheet steel for Hummers.

3) This seem insane. The most well equipped army in history with access to the best communication system. They need socks and phone cards in the mail?

4) You have to tell me. I'm a stupid civilian.

I can go to Walgreens, buy some socks (panty hose for our good sisters in the battle or elsewhere = If the men can't get sox, the gals probably can't get panty hose. Not sexist here, but new undies are a good thing for all genders) and AT&T phone cards, a little chocolate Santa, and a Christmas card.

Put together five little packages which Andy can pass around. Send them to some APO address. They might arrive in February.

Is this something "do-able" or worthwhile. You military folks have to assist me in how to go about it.

Best,

Gil

OK, folks...here is the situation. I arrived at Camp Doha, Kuwait on Sunday. Compared to what the vast majority of soldiers in theater have at their disposal, this place is a "Shangri-La". We have a rather well-equipped PX here, along with a nice food court and the standard "AAFES concessionaires" package of souvenir and "I gotta have it if for no other reason than I still have some money left" shops within the complex.

I am still trying to get together a list of items that are NOT available at the PX here that some of our unit's soldiers need. As for myself, they do not carry my shampoo, but I have enough to cover my needs for months to come.

As for the phone card situation, the AAFES phone cards are AT&T ones that are valid for use here, as are other phone cards. Here is the catch, though: one minute over here on the phone back to the states burns up 19 stateside-value minutes...for a 1:19 ratio. I feel pretyy confident that AT&T is making megabucks in profits from the soldiers over here over this situation. But, as all soldiers normally do, most of the soldiers here have found alternative ways of getting those phone call costs down to a good bit less in cost than what AT&T wants them to be paying.

The mail arrival time here at THIS location normally runs around ten days or so from the time mail is sent from stateside...this is for LETTERS...NOT for packages, which may run a bit longer in arriving, depending on how they are sent (first class, etc.).

MY particular mailing address is: (EDITED for correction of ZIP code)

SSG Andrew M. Barr

Det 3, 328th PSB

Camp Doha

APO-AE 09889

Please, DO NOT write "Kuwait" anywhere on the address, or it will likely never arrive here!

Currently, the temperature here runs from a low of around 45 F. to around a high of 75 F., so mailing edibles and such which are subject to melting at high temperatures is NOT a problem...FOR THE TIME BEING! BUT, the temperatures run into the 110-120 F. range in the warmer months (which begin around late February), so keep that in mind when sending packages to troops over here. Also, be sure to place any liquid items (shampoo, etc.)that are in containers into zip-lock baggies, just in case the containers leak or break in transit.

I am currently at the internet cafe here, which runs FIVE bucks an hour, so I have to cut this message short, for now. Please voice any questions in this thread or begin another thread so that I can keep track of things. Thanks a bunch!

My current needs are a Klipsch ball cap, a couple of Klipsch t-shirts, and (very soon) a sweet deal on some pro-media 2.1 speakers. Are you listening, Trey? Nobody over here has heard Klipsch...I am planning to change that ASAP!

2.gif