Component interconnects

colterphoto1

WITHOUT spend a fortune, can someone recommend a decent brand and vendor for RCA interconnect cables. I'm not interested in Monster, Esoteric, etc. Just a couple clicks above Radio Shack will do nicely, thank you.

Finally setting up my ATC2111M BellO rack I got from Mark Maple like two weeks ago. Rack is very nice, swoopy Italian design steel with 'floating' glass shelves that support 50 lbs ea. The best thing is the CMS (cable management system) in the back. Since the tower is very open, this large rectangular conduit has rubber-grommeted openings for cables to pass through, then an internal tunnel and two external for AC/signal/speaker wires.

This is embarassing. Some of my interconnects are probably the ones that came with the components or are very thinly gold plated where the cable is so thin is must be like 22ga. with barely any shield. I'm thinking, enough to do an entire system (not counting speaker wires) for maybe $100-$200. Possible???

Thanks,

Michael

Guest Anonymous

well, if you are not interested in monster or any of those other companies a decent step above radio-shack ge etc would probably be acoustic research at bb, they have been rated fairly high for their price point, i did have a set of ar stuff a while back but i am not srue where they went but they were alright, i never had a problem with them, they weren't great but definatly very a lot better than ge cables... and you could easily get away with wiring the whole thing with ar for under 200 especially if you buy off e-bay they sell ar for about half off, adn what you will find also is if you buy all the wiring you needd from the same guy they will usually cut you a deal on shipping or price or something.

>>>>>>>>>>Michael is looking for some interconnects<<<<<

Funny you should ask...I just ordered a couple of interconnects from

http://www.starlink-dss.com/Component.htm

based on a recommendation in another thread on this board...I received them today. I plan on using them to hook up my system this weekend to replace some DIY ones that already sound somewhat better than a "couple of steps above RS".

I can't find the original thread here, maybe in the technical or 2 channel forums...

I'll let you know how they work (however, for the price, you could try a few and then use them for the garage system if you don't like them).

The cables are marked "OFC Digital Interconnect Cable by Petra" and seem to be pretty nice...

----------------

On 12/9/2004 8:44:37 PM radiob wrote:

Kimber silver streak with their 8tc speaker wire is a nice choice for klipsch speakers with a laid back SS or a tube amp.

----------------

Robert is of course joking, since that would run nicely into the thousands.

Hi, I'm using a couple of the Dayton's, available at Partsexpress. Heavy guage *RCA's* and seem pretty decent for the money.

I've also gone the *DIY* Canare route with those high dollar discrete tools, and would definately recommend, especially if you've got a bunch of audio and component video runs. LV77s(RG6) works well for both, and is very pliable for those tight corners in some of the *"CMS's"*.

I'm a big fan of 3-letter acronyms too. 9.gif

How does one pronouce "spschneer"? Seems short on vowels.

Actually, the Radio Shack stuff (their Gold and follow-on) is pretty good, I think. But also check out some of the stuff at www.accessories4less.com. I have some IXOS jumper cables that I like - they use a porcelain barrel on the connectors which is cool, and they have a funky twisted-pair design.

They WERE running a special for Christmas with free shipping on most items - may be over by now.

My dos centavos:

I'm surprized no one thought about "Blue Jeans Cable." I'm alway up for a do it yourself project providing the tools needed aren't too spendy, but shot of the DIY I really don't believe Blue Jeans Cable can be beat. (for the money)

Google "Blue Jeans Cable."

Regards,

Bill Woodward

Portland, OR.

thanks all, I wired the system up last night and some of my bundles don't look too bad. Think I bought some mid-line stuff from MCM electronics a few years back. Gold ends, spring strain reliefs , good heavy shielding and jacketing. Had two double-pair bundles for cassette and VHS. The others will have to go and need some longer lengths for rack to TV

Getting DTS and DD from DVD to AVR requires either optical or 'coaxial', whatever that is. Any recommendation on one or the other and does the cable quailty matter that much with digital signal? It's only a single one meter run.

Thanks,

Michael

Oh, I thought it was something special. So just use a good RCA with heavier gauge, with nice braided shielding and gold ends? I have an older Sony DVD player that does the DD and DTS, but my Yamaha RXV2400 is brand new. I want the receiver to do the decoding, right? I think then that I have to go in to DVD players menu and turn OFF any decoding software, so it goes out 'normal' and the receiver does the brain work.

Getting there..

Michael

----------------

On 12/12/2004 12:37:09 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Oh, I thought it was something special. So just use a good RCA with heavier gauge, with nice braided shielding and gold ends? I have an older Sony DVD player that does the DD and DTS, but my Yamaha RXV2400 is brand new. I want the receiver to do the decoding, right? I think then that I have to go in to DVD players menu and turn OFF any decoding software, so it goes out 'normal' and the receiver does the brain work.

Getting there..

Michael

----------------

I'm using optical interconnects to hook my DVD and CD players in to my 2400's digital and it is working fine, Plug and Play. Nothing to switch on or off anywhere. My cheap Technics CD juke box never sounded so good! Optical is way quieter and cleaner than the RCA/analog route. Says a lot for the Yammie's D/A converter.

The optical is thin (no bulk) and easy to route. Just don't crease it.

$10 for million dollar sound!

Sarge, in honor of our military abroad, I've posted a new avatar with a background which is the side of my brother's restaurant. He painted it after 9/11. Makes a fitting background for our little patriot, don't you think?

Are you LOVING the 2400! I'm finding new features all the time. Just got a BellO 1112 rack from Mark Maple (he posted photo) and the wire routing feature (cable management system) really makes a nice installation. I'll be showing photos of the BACK of my system soon!

Michael

How's the neighbors? Still breathing?

• Moderators

----------------

On 12/9/2004 8:44:37 PM radiob wrote:

Kimber silver streak with their 8tc speaker wire is a nice choice for klipsch speakers with a laid back SS or a tube amp.

----------------

Robert,

I sent you a pm/email regarding those silverstreak cables you were talking about.

Travis

Meijer has the AR premium brand on sale, I saw them last night. I was surprised in a basic grocery store/ clothing everything else place, they would have something this "high end" in stock. (well high end for a walmart type store) Very reasonable too.

These were gold plated, seemed to have some typical science (BS or not) stuff on the back explaining how superior they are and why. Light blue cables.

I also noticed that they also sold a digital optical (fiber optic) cable which are always overpriced at most stereo stores. If I need to get another one of these, I will def. go back. (Fiber optics is fiber optics IMO.)

----------------

On 12/12/2004 1:23:16 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Sarge, in honor of our military abroad, I've posted a new avatar with a background which is the side of my brother's restaurant. He painted it after 9/11. Makes a fitting background for our little patriot, don't you think?

Are you LOVING the 2400! I'm finding new features all the time. Just got a BellO 1112 rack from Mark Maple (he posted photo) and the wire routing feature (cable management system) really makes a nice installation. I'll be showing photos of the BACK of my system soon!

Michael

How's the neighbors? Still breathing?

----------------

God bless the girls back home!

BTW, what kind of restaurant does your brother run? I'm sure getting tired of Korean food! Fortunately, there's a little bar withing walking distance that serves German cuisine, I need the break once in a while.

Do indeed love the 2400, very capable indeed! So far no complaints from the neighbors and I don't know why 9.gif

"I also noticed that they also sold a digital optical (fiber optic) cable which are always overpriced at most stereo stores. If I need to get another one of these, I will def. go back. (Fiber optics is fiber optics IMO.)"

Back a couple of years ago when I was doing a lot of offshore fishing, I hung around Ray's Bait and Tackle a lot. There was this fellow who had a business in the Rte 128 area in Mass. that came in about every other week and bought 2 large 5Lb spools of 300Lb test Ande Clear fishing line. We asked him what he was doing with all that line? He was manufacturing medical Laproscopy instruments with it! "Fiber optics is fiber optics IMO.)" indeed!6.gif

Rick