La Scalas - which output transformer tap?

Mark Williams

Back in 1971 when I purchased my first pair of Klipschorns, I posed that question to Paul Klipsch, as I was using McIntosh MC-2505. He suggested the 4 ohm tap for several reasons, but the primary one was the slight reduction (about 3dB) of audio gain at the lower tap (thus less background noise). I haven't checked the impedance curve of the LaScala, but I'd guess the woofer impedance drops below 8 ohms at some point. Take a critical listen using the 4 ohm tap. Happy Holidays and 'happy listening'!

Dave

Outside the woofer resonance peak, the impedance is generally 6 ohms, rising to about 30 ohms in the midrange and falling to 7,5 ohms above 5k. There is a dip to about 4 ohms just above the woofer resonance, at about 150 Hz.

Using the 4 ohm tap would be safest for the amp. It applies a lower voltage to the speaker system thereby limiting the current drawn from the amp. I understand tube last longer that way.

I would try 4 and 8 to see which one sounded better.

What kind of amplifier?

Please post your movie and music tastes, room dimensions, speakers and front-end equipment in your system profile, this will help forum members give you thoughtful, insightful answers.

2.gif

----------------

On 12/10/2004 10:47:21 AM Colin wrote:

What kind of amplifier?

Please post your movie and music tastes, room dimensions, speakers and front-end equipment in your system profile, this will help forum members give you thoughtful, insightful answers.

2.gif
----------------

Colin,

Man, you're nosey!!2.gif

Tom