LaScala's, Which Xover Is Most Desirable.....Also....

Gilbert

I'm going to look at some scala's here in Tulsa this afternoon.

Can anyone please tell me which Xover is the most desireable. These speakers are 1983 vintage (if you can call that vintage).

Also, is there a difference sound quality between the Plastic Horns versus the Cast Metal Horns? I'm not sure if these will be Plastic or Metal, but will find out at 2:30pm CST.

----------------

On 12/10/2004 4:47:50 AM Gilbert wrote:

I'm going to look at some scala's here in Tulsa this afternoon.

Can anyone please tell me which Xover is the most desireable. These speakers are 1983 vintage (if you can call that vintage).

Also, is there a difference sound quality between the Plastic Horns versus the Cast Metal Horns? I'm not sure if these will be Plastic or Metal, but will find out at 2:30pm CST.

----------------

Don't own LaScala's myself, but if you do a search in the Forum you'll find that the ALK crossover's by Al Klappenberger have quite a following.

www.alkeng.com

Hi, Gilbert:

Sounds like fun! The nice thing about these speakers (I've had La Scalas and now own Klipschorns) is that there is so much that can be done in the way of crossover modification. I would suggest that the specific type of network might be of less importance than the overall quality of the speakers, and that they are working well with whatever crossover is presently being used.

There is a WEALTH of information about different networks in this electronic scroll, and it's really one of the fun things about ownership -- experimenting, modifying, etc., as one travels along; there is a good deal of flexibility for future alteration. Regardless of what they have right now, you can feel confident about very reasonably priced upgrades and changes from people who have built well-established roosting nests in this and other Klipsch forums. Crossovers also lend themselves to DIY modification which, with just a little practice with soldering and wire stripping, are very easy to do.

Good luck!

Erik

1983 hmmmmm, they are most likely going to have AA's in them, either that or the AL. Look at it this way they are not going to sound bad regardless of the crossover that is in there. '83 was around or near the transition to the K-55M squawker and change in crossover.

1983 La Scalas should have Type AL crossovers, K-400 (metal) squawker horns and K-55-M squawkers. The Type AL is the worst of the La Scala crossovers. Any of the others will be better. I'd try to change them to Type AL-3s or the ALKs.

Every one of us has our preferences. Mine is the Type AA used with the K-55-V solder terminals. I have not tried the AA with the K-55-M, though theoretically it should work very well.

From half-a-dozen sales on eBay, in August 2004: Belle pairs, which share the same wonderful mid and high range drivers and horns as the mighty Khorn, fall off below 100Hz, yet have a tipped up bottom and top-end response, but dont require a corner either, like LaScala but have cloth covered fronts, sold from $800 to 2075 (average $1,352)

From half-a-dozen sales on eBay: LaScala pairs, which also share the same lens and drivers as the Khorn, also fall below 100Hz, their response is rougher but NOT tipped at both ends like the Belles (which so many people like that many loudspeakers intentionally tip the ends of their frequency response). LaScalas dont require a corner, unlike the Belles they have an exposed front, sold from $750 to $2,504 (average $1,393)

2.gif

" From half-a-dozen sales on eBay, in August 2004: Belle pairs, which share the same wonderful mid and high range drivers and horns as the mighty Khorn"

No they don't. The mid-horn on a Belle is different then on the K'Horn or LaScala.

The K-400 with K55 on it is around 23" long...hence the LaScalas depth of 24". The Belle is around 19" deep.

Shawn

Well Gilbert, what did you think of the La Scalas? I must assume they sound as nice as they look? From your posts it appears you are a fan of the Cornwall and have a pair myself. Other than the cloth grills I had a late 70's pair of LaS in the late 70's. I think I need more. If you have not bought them I may consider bidding. Worth it? I can pick-up as KC is not that far from Broken Arrow. Thanks

Rich

Hey Gilbert,

I have a pair of 84' la scalas currently unmodified. They have an AL network, K-55-M and a plastic horn. Yes they do sound good "as is". They are currently driven by a 250 wpc MAC MC252. This is a little overkill with power but a good amp.

I made the decision to go with ALK networks. AL Klappenberger is currently building these for me. I think it is around 500$ I'll let you know of the sound difference. This will probably be posted in a new thread with pictures of the installation. For now, I don't plan on caulking the mid horns since they are plastic (K401?).

jc