best TWO subs for under $1000

jdm56

OK bass-masters, I've come to the mountain seeking wisdom. What say y'all?

I am seeking a pair of smallish subs to use with B&W 703's. Extension below 30hz, with clean output of up to about 110dB is desired. The 703's actually go down to the 30Hz range quite well, but I am looking to just re-enforce and smooth the response in-room below 80Hz.

Are the cheaper JBL and Infinity 10" or 12" subs any good? They can be had pretty cheap on ebay. (reminds me of a girl I once knew11.gif )

I'd LOVE to have a pair of ASW-700's, but they're so danged pricey! I love B&W build quality, though.

As for diy, I'm open to it. In fact, I have a pair of Sony power amps that could be pressed into service -- TA-N55ES's (150Wx2/4ohms; 110Wx2/8ohms; 300Wx1/8ohms). What little I've checked into it though, my impression was the price would not be that much less when all was said and done, though. Last I checked, those cheaper JBL and Infinity subs were going for under $250 on ebay. Wouldn't it be hard to get much better for any less moo-lah? But maybe they're not good enough to do justice to my 703's. B&W 703 bass is very clean. In fact, it's hard to believe they can wring that kind of performance out of a pair of 6.5" woofers per speaker.

Get a pair of Stryke AV15's for $200/each. Build two 2'x2'x2' cabinets and tune them to 23Hz. It'll go 116dB down to 25Hz and then -3dB at 20Hz.

Then purchase the Parts Express 500 Watt plate sub amp for $250: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-806. This leaves you with $350 to build the cabinet which will be more than enough...Perhaps build it out of marble stone or something like that 2.gif

I love the yellow Kevlar cones, solid internal bracing and smooth curves of the B&W 800 series, but their wild impedance curves require massive concrete block amplifiers. They have some of the tightest, punchiest, best-defined mid-bass I have heard. I heard the 801s frequently at the local Tweeter/Sound Advice boutique for the last few years. They were powered with Krell sand block amplifiers. A friend of mine had the 803s, with incredible Pass Single-Ended X250 that I seriously auditioned, in my own home, with big ole horns, for EnjoyTheMusic.com. First, he had dual mid-range Klipsch KSW subwoofers, then he graduated to the SVS Ultra tubes. The KSW subwoofers gave an extra boom the 703s hardly needed; they intruded on the tight mid-bass, but the SVS trembled the earth. They fit better with the B&W 703s. 2.gif

Thanks Colin, SVS is definitely on the short list. Along with Outlaw & Hsu. BTW, I could see myself pursuing a nice clean pre-owned pair of black 801's in a few years!

I really want two subs, so I could get two smaller ones than I might otherwise want. My list: (prices are for a pair)

SVS 25-31CS (powered by my Sony ES amp)...app. $760

Outlaw LFM-1..............................app. $1000

Hsu STF-2.................................app. $900 (i think)

Infinity PS-12............................app. $620

...So, what's wrong with the Infinity?