Quickie Mono 60's--help Dean!

triceratops

I have been offered a pair of Quicksilver monoblock KT-88's with 60 watts for about $850. I have 1960 Khorns and a newly converted former garage that is almost completed which will be 21' x 17' x 8'. Preamp is a solid state Threshold FET-1, with old Pioneer Elite CD and Nak Dragon cassette. I'm still working on the vinyl spinner. I listen mostly to jazz and weirdo rock. Any thoughts on if the Quickies would be a good deal?

Best in horns,

triceratops

Hey Dean,

Thanks for the follow up. The Quicksilver monoblocks may be the predecessors of the M60s which are I think called KT88s? These are 60 watts per side, and I think came between the 8417 amps and the M-60s in chronology.

I don't have the Quickies in front of me, but my recollection is that they definitely Do have chrome tranny caps, but I'm not sure if the chassis was black or chrome. Four output tubes per side? I'm not sure about that either, but I think it may have been just two per side.

I don't have a power amp right now so the Threshold pre is not being used. An old Eico HF-81 integrated is handling the amp duties. I thought the Threshold pre was supposed to be pretty good sounding, and maybe adequate for the Khorns?

Let me know what you think, Dean and thanks for your help!

Best in horns,

triceratops

The Threshold stuff was/is excellent. I wasn't aware you didn't have a power amp to run with it yet.

I think I would pass on what was offered you, I have a feeling it's one of these.

KT88 Mono Amps

KT88 x 2

5AR4 x 2

12FQ7 x 2

KT88 Series II Mono Amps

KT88 x 2

5V4 x 1

12FQ7 x 2

Craig ended up with a set of "KT-88 Mono Amps" on his bench and said they were awful. Bad from the measuring end as well as the listening end. These monoblocks immediately followed the 8417's in Sander's production history. Later amps like the Silver 90's, M-80's, M-60's, and Silver 60's -- all supposedly sounded pretty sweet.

So, what's the upper limit of your budget -- these just popped up: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1108067607

----------------

On 12/12/2004 4:47:56 PM DeanG wrote:

The Threshold stuff was/is excellent. I wasn't aware you didn't have a power amp to run with it yet.

I think I would pass on what was offered you, I have a feeling it's one of these.

KT88 Mono Amps

KT88 x 2

5AR4 x 2

12FQ7 x 2

KT88 Series II Mono Amps

KT88 x 2

5V4 x 1

12FQ7 x 2

Craig ended up with a set of "KT-88 Mono Amps" on his bench and said they were awful. Bad from the measuring end as well as the listening end. These monoblocks immediately followed the 8417's in Sander's production history. Later amps like the Silver 90's, M-80's, M-60's, and Silver 60's -- all supposedly sounded pretty sweet.

So, what's the upper limit of your budget -- these just popped up: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1108067607

----------------

[/blockquo

cool.

Hey Dean,

Yeah, I think you've got the right Quicksilver monoblocks, so I will definitely pass on them. Regarding power amps, I actually paid for some Welborne DRD 300B SET amps about a year ago, and had them sent to a friend on the East Coast who built them up, but I haven't gotten them back yet. I expect I'll get the Welborne amps back in the next few months.

If the Quickies had been a more desirable model, I was thinking I could eventually swap them in and out with the Welbornes for comparison. Financially I'm pretty strapped right now, I was just thinking about the Quickies if they were a screamin' deal. So I'll probably just wait until something really great comes along.

I appreciate your sage advice and it's probably a good thing they weren't something super-desirable.

Best in horns,

triceratops