The origin of very fancy turntables

Parrot

Can someone here say approximately when turntables became ultra high-end showpieces, such as the ones pictured below? Like with separate motors, exotic wood platters, 80 pound platters, 500 pound plinths, that kind of thing. Was it in the last few years? Last ten years? And were there specific breakthroughs in the modern understanding of turntable engineering that weren't known in, say, the 1970s?

clearaudioref.jpg

auracustom.jpg

I don't know when it all started, the Empires being the first artty things that I recall in the early '70s. Those that you have pictured are as much industrial art as functional pieces and would take second place to none in that area of a Modern Art Library.

I can remember other "spacey" esoteric tables from the mid '70's and picture them in my mind but,I am having a senior moment. 6.gif

One was in a plexiglass box with 4" tall chromed pucks radially set around a disc for the platter. The other looks like a Mitchell, all platter, little plinthe.

Rick

• Moderators

From the Linn website.

"Launched over 30 years ago, Linn's first ever product, the SONDEK LP12, defied, challenged and eventually revolutionised accepted hi-fi wisdom.

At that time, loudspeakers were considered the most important component within a hi-fi system. Linn contended that the source component, in this case the turntable, ultimately determined the performance of the hi-fi system, a fact which was easily proven by a simple A-B demonstration. Linn's 'source-first' approach is now a widely adopted industry standard."

I beleive Linn helped jump strat the high-end turntable/tonearm explosion.

• Moderators

From the SME site:

In 1959 Alastair Robertson-Aikman, the Company's founder and Managing Director, required a pick-up arm for his own use and an experimental model was built. It received such an enthusiastic reception from friends in the sound industry that it was decided to produce it commercially and the first SME precision pick-up arm appeared in September 1959. Production was 25 units per week composed entirely of individually machined components. At this time a new factory situated in Mill Road, Steyning was opened and the Company's name was changed to SME Limited, a less committal title to suit its new activities.

SME now has over 40 years experience in high quality precision engineering and the Company's plant at Steyning is now probably the largest and best equipped devoted to the manufacture of precision pick-up arms and turntables.

Transcriptors, late 60's made some showpieces, Kubric fans may remember Alex's 'table in Clockwork ;o) Hydraulic Reference, yessss?

The breakthroughs were done at the record manufacturing end. All a smart turntable maker had to do was build a backwards record lathe, with the same attention to detail, quality and precision.

Such work doesn't come cheap. Which is why a good 'table, regardless of form or adornments, will cost more dosh than a 'record player'.

So ask yourself, do you want man-jewelry, or do you want a finely crafted precision machine which will do its designed job faithfully and competently for decades? The line between the two is ofeten very blurred.

If you think those turntables you posted are overpriced and over-pretty, I submit to you what every turntable ever built aspires to be: A cutting lathe.

http://www.4sync.com/rc/picdisplay.asp?itemkey=954

Kinda makes even an Avid Volvere, or an Orbe, or a VPI look kinda plain, ne? Cost? Enough to get several hi-end tables and arms.

That's the precision it takes to make a record, to play one back properly requires the same.

The Linn Sondek LP12 is arguably a copy of the Ariston RD11. The founder of Linn worked at Ariston and his family's shop actually did the machining for Ariston. At some point there was a falling out and Linn started his own company and produced the original LP12 which bears a much more than passing similarity to the Ariston.

I run an Ariston RS80sl and it is essentially identical to an early LP12.

I am BTW not taking sides in the Ariston/Linn dispute as I do not know what they were squabbling about or who threw the first hissy fit.

There's lots of good combos out there in your price range. How about this TT...

http://www.teresaudio.com/images/t-160-lg.jpg $2250

with this arm...

http://www.tonearm.co.uk/silver-tonearm.htm $850

The Teres 160 model is an excetionally simple design and easy to set up. Most Teres TTs can be upgraded but only to a point and then purchasing the next level makes more sense. Non-suspended TTs require and stable mount and must be level. Once set up, these TTs sound wonderful and are a tremendous value. The Origin Live arm is one of the best tonearms for less than $1K. Even less expensive is the Graham Robin ($650) and its quite nice as well and very easy to set up. Have fun - Bryan

Most of these "drop dead gorgeous" tables seem to be high mass affairs. I guess once you have decided to forgo suspension and go for sheer weight the choice of materials, size, finishes, machining specs and so on just drive you ever onwards towards tables that weight more than their owners.

and Paul - if you have never seen a fully kitted out V.Y.G.E.R. on a 2000 lb bass with a 400 lb "floating platform" supporting it with the air-pump arm....well...lets just say it is a site!

Ugly as hell though.

Me? I'll take a Clearaudio Maximum solution (or is it a Master Solution? I forget.)

I know designer turntables have been in the market since the mid 1970's. I remember reading hi-fi magazines at the time wondering why! But it's only in the last few years that these weird and wonderful creations have become almost common. There are few hi-fi shops where at least one such creation isn't on display. At the moment Clearaudio is everywhere. Project's more upmarket designs are close behind. I guess in real terms, these turntables have come down in price, and are much more affordable than they used to be. In addition fine engineering tolerances are more achievable at far lower cost. This is due in part, I guess, to the ubiquitous use of CAD.