need tube amplifier advice please

Deang

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For me, this "hobby" is as much about the gear as it is about the music. I don't expect this amp to be my last amp.

I thought some of the DIY options looked interesting, I just don't have time to build anything for me right now. It would also mean being without tunes for a while.

The upscale Wright monos seemed appealing, but buying new means taking a beating on the used market.

The Wright Mono-10's are cool, but they aren't that visually appealing to me.

Several suggestions were pentode or beam tubes running in Pentode -- been there done that.

The big Cary's are overkill. I think the high powered amps to own are Craig's, and I have no doubt about that.

I wanted something in here pretty quick, with a good reputation, and capable of good turnaround on the used market. I wanted a DHT push-pull with 20 watts or more, "preferrably 300B" -- which is a tube I really like.

I like Tony's suggestion of a VAC R 30/30.

Some one mentioned Atmasphere OTL. The brief listen I had indicated very high quality. There was not a weak link to be found in the system, though I didn't really dissect things. Certainly a different direction to experience. No idea on price.

Thanks for the reply (seriously this time). I'm digesting it.

----------------

On 12/13/2004 9:26:58 AM Guy Landau wrote:

----------------

On 12/13/2004 4:13:48 AM edwinr wrote:

Dean, I don't know whether Unison Research is available in the 'States, but they have a lovely power amplifier duo called the 'Absolute'.

----------------
It costs around $25K.......

----------------

Oh. Whoops... 14.gif

Wow!! Freaky thread....er.....welcome back Kelly first off.

Second - Dean!!!!

I thought you loved those Quads. I can't believe it! I really really thought those were stayers in your system - ah well - insanity rules!

Now lets see - triode and power......hmmmm.....I think I have it. How much physical space do you have in front of them thar Horns?

tsakiridis%20big%20class%20a%20and%20spe

100 WPC triode - and with the $ exchange rate now being one $ to the Matabili jumping bean - that is about $3500 - $4000, I guess - 2,500 Euros anyway - the $4,000 should get them to your door.

Warning - they are not small amps.

Warning 2 - they will drive your Khorns to EXTREME volume.

Warning 3 - tell your wife about them before you bring them into the house - she will think you are planning to bury her in them.

PS - If they are of interest I will have to check with Tsakiridis that he can make them for US voltage - I am sure he can - but you might need 3 phase power - or whatever the US equivalent is.

Shawn:

The T-16 might be perfect! Dean: The Transcendent stuff is incredibly good sounding, and the price is very fair. Why not take the time, just a couple of hours on the weekends? I've built several amps and preamps in the past months working just an hour or so in the evening instead of watching TV -- or, for that matter (this might be a key factor) using the time it takes to post on this forum toward building a nice new amp for yourself. If I had to weigh that option, I would choose an amp!

You DON'T have to be witout music. I have a great sounding little tube amp you can use until your own is finished. Another forum member borrowed it for about a month and really liked it!

Erik

Erik,

" The T-16 might be perfect! Dean: The Transcendent stuff is incredibly good sounding, and the price is very fair. Why not take the time, just a couple of hours on the weekends? "

The T16 looks very interesting and I'd love to hear one sometime.

I was going to also suggest Quicksilver Horn Monos but I think Dean has already had Quicksilvers before and figured he wanted something different.

Shawn

Dean, let us know your thoughts about that amp as soon as it arrives, that should be a pretty good example of what a 300b PP can be/do. I suspect you could even tweak it up a bit...you know a cap here, a cap there...some silver wire...hehe, warm regards, tony