Worst speakers you've owned?

Ray Garrison

ahh the 70s audiophile days. is advent still around? they were pretty popular along w/ of course jbl & bose, commercially that is.

besides the walsh super tweeter, anybody remember the hiel(?) driver/air transformer/whatever? i think ess for 1 used that.

quote:

Originally posted by boa12:

ahh the 70s audiophile days. is advent still around? they were pretty popular along w/ of course jbl & bose, commercially that is.

besides the walsh super tweeter, anybody remember the hiel(?) driver/air transformer/whatever? i think ess for 1 used that.

Yo! Soul Brother!

Owned a pair of "New" Advents (brilliant moniker). First real hifi speakers I ever bought, excluding a couple of not-that-bads from Radio Shack.

Bose Boob -- GUILTY (901-IVs)

Ah, The Heil AMT! Now that was a speaker! Bought a pair from Burstein-Applebee in KC MO in the late 70's. Really nice sounding speakers, but I kept melting the little ribbon diaphram in the "air motion transformer" (cool moniker!) Then blew a woofer cranking Fleetwood Mac. I sold them to my brother-in-law and finally got some real LOUDSPEAKERS -s> - Klipsch Cornwallss>

Ah. happy audio boy. smile.gif

------------------

JDMcCall

yo, jd, sound like many of us have been down similar paths to true hi-fi. i forgot to mention that my first real system was the bose 301s w/ something like a pioneer qx-747 quad receiver. at 13, couldn't afford 2 more speaks or even a turntable w/ a quad cartridge. do still have the 1 quad album I could afford - Tull, aqualung. sold the 301s to a friend after just a few months. talk about a dead sounding speak (& of course the dr tweets blew 1st. sold the pioneer to my brother. then went mail order w/ a package from Wherehouse Sound Co. in San Luis

Obispo, CA. sansui integrated amp, EV bookshelf speaks, & a garrard turntable. big improvement & the rest is history.

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 speak wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

probably a little spoiled or lucky, except for the family console my first speakers were these slap dash jobs that Ralph Karsten of Atma-sphere OTL amps made, my parents were very upset that I spent $150 on the pair because they looked like a teenager after a night of partying, so I did not tell them Ralph also sold me a Fisher tube reciever and a Garrard turntable with the cartridge (Shure of course) mounted on a shim

I was always jealous of these impressive looking units that other people had, but I never got tired of the sound

Colin, I grew up in a hifi household. My dad loved to build kits. His last set (he passed away in 66) was all Dyna...pre, tuner, monoblocks. To that he added an AR turntable (to replace his Weathers) and some verrrry heavy sand suspension Wharfedale speakers. A sister *Still has that system and it sounds *Great.

The rest of the story is that when I started getting my own gear I was inevitably dissatisfied. I loved looking at gear, but none of it seemed to measure up to my boyhood standard. Until I had a tube driven Klipschorn system in my living room...

The family was chipping in on components for differnt holidays for my mother in law. I was supervising to a certain degree. During a period of time I was out of town on business, my brother in law went out and bought the speakers.

Cerwin Vega

I just cannot stand to listen to them; even my favorite music sounds sluggish. I keep waiting for a lightning strike to put them out of their misery.

The family was chipping in on components for differnt holidays for my mother in law. I was supervising to a certain degree. During a period of time I was out of town on business, my brother in law went out and bought the speakers.

Cerwin Vega

I just cannot stand to listen to them; even my favorite music sounds sluggish. I keep waiting for a lightning strike to put them out of their misery.

you guys are spoiled.

the worst speakers i've ever own, i'm using them right now and they're also the best I've ever owned...

sniff...

:-(

big Sony towers, by the way. And some tiny JBL midtowers...

At least I have a paradigm PW2200...

I NEED HEADPHONES!!

yea after 1st hearing them i told the salesman that i would find a way to own these speakers. w/ unemployment at 11% in '83 but being a college grad w/ my 1st job paying a whopping 12k/yr I discovered the wonderful world of visa. credit line $1500. klipsch cornwalls $1150. even had enough left for some wire.

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

quote:

Originally posted by Steve P:

A pair of big 1972 Radio Shack 12" woofer things that I can't even remember the models.They had 3 tweeters and 1 12" woofer in each that the cross over had to deal with,and adjustable high and mid controls.

Had them untill 89',that's when my X and I parted.Some months later I got my KG-3's.The Heresy I've got now I've had since 78',had to just about steal it from her.

My loving wife of present,Becky,lets me spend money on Klipsch.She knows what sounds great.

Life is great!

STeve

i think the speakers you were talking about

from radio shack were either the Optimus-5

or the Nova-8

Both were identical drivers wise, except

the crossovers and exterior cosmetics

Nova 8 was a bit more elegant, while the

opt-5 looked more like a KLH or AR of the day

in fact...my aunt still has her Nova-8's

powered by her allway's faithfull dynaco

sca-80Q, and a interesting st77 sony tuner

(the small vertical one with the round dial)

im still trying to get that dynaco from her

Dynaco and Klipsch go well together

Rob

hey, gimme a break guys, I'm still in school for chrissakes!!

besides, credit cards are evil.

EVIL I TELL YOU!!

unless you use them purely for practical reasons, like buying some gum from that indigenous store in the middle of Africa.

or so it seems in their ads!

quote:

Originally posted by robB:

STeve

i think the speakers you were talking about

from radio shack were either the Optimus-5

or the Nova-8

Both were identical drivers wise, except

the crossovers and exterior cosmetics

Nova 8 was a bit more elegant, while the

opt-5 looked more like a KLH or AR of the day

in fact...my aunt still has her Nova-8's