Worst speakers you've owned?

Ray Garrison

Yea... Those Infinitys were just unbelievably bad across the board.

What's funny is that less than a year after I sold them I went out for my morning walk and they were on the curb for trash pickup. Even funnier... They weren't there on the homeward bound leg of the walk. I guess the guy who bought them "figured it out" and decided to pass them along to some other unsuspecting victim.

After the Infinitys I bought a new pair of Magnepan MMGs which served me well for several years. Right up until I picked up a pair of pristine 76 Heresys (HBRs with cane grills) for $100 and I was once again reminded of the sound that I loved. After that it was pair Cornwalls followed by a pair of La Scalas followed by a pair of Cornscalas. Along the way there were a pair of Forte's, a pair of Chorus IIs, a pair of Cornwall IIs, and a pair of RF-3 IIs. Not to mention several pairs of Heresys that came and went.

Unfortunately I am currently without a pair of Klipsch speakers. A situation I plan to remedy just as soon as possible. I have several spectacular offers from the members here to get me back to listening to Klipsch speakers. I'm sure that sooner rather than later there will be another pair of Klipsch whatever gracing my living room and belting out terrific sounds.

Today I'm going back and forth between a pair of DIY large-ish bookshelves and a pair of Magnepan SMGAs. Quite frankly I'm VERY surprised at how good my "off the cuff" designed DIY speakers are. I intended them to be my garage speakers but the more I listened to them the more I liked them. Go figure?

#2 Worst -- Rodgers LS3/5A - 1978
In the frenzy of the late 70's over everything British, I bought these rediculous little boxes. Aside from the massively boomy 75Hz bass, and the 22 parts in the 2-way crossover, most of them resistors, The speaker had this interesting phenomena: You need about 50 watts to get any decent sound, but at 55 watts they blow up! In all fairness to the Brits and the BBC, these were designed to be played in a mobile news van.

A lesson in preference, I sold a set of these for $1,970 on ebay.I'll give them a littIe more slack than md, thought they sounded ok, certainly not mind blowing.The sale price did blow my mind, given more time I could have got more (paid $5). So....worst sound does not = worthless.

I had SMGs and really loved them. needed a boat load of amplifier power to get up and move but they had a great immediacy. I think most horn lovers tend to like the sound of panel speakers. If I didnt have my k-horns I would probably have big maggies (with different amps of course!). what Klipsch would you think about going back to? Cornwalls and Chorus sure are nice speakers! T

All the speakers I have have were a path to my current system, so the first ones were probably the worst. I enjoyed them all when I had them. The third set of speakers I got are still in my posession, the JBL 4311s. I bought them in '72. The two sets before that are long gone.

Bruce

My worst pair were definitely the Criterions I bought back in 1975. Remember Lafayette Electronics? We called 'em Laff a lot. I don't even know if the company is still in bidness. They were driven out of town by that premiere audio dealer, Radio Shack. After a few futile dealings with those boys, I wished for Laffalot to come back! Then I wandered into my late teens, and stopped by our local high-end stereo store to see what the rich folk bought. Ol' Geezer there turned me onto Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon (I kid you knot), the track where the airplane flys overhead ("Time" if I'm not mistaken) on none other than a pair of K-horns. I was a Klipsch virgin until then. I was completely blown out of my shoes. I have never been the same since. I went home as was so disgusted with the Criterion junk I had, I tore the front particle board off, cut a new piece to match my pair of 6x9 Jensen Triax-II car speakers, and they rocked me through my first two years of college!

In the 70s a female friend "thanked" me for installing speakers in her 280Z, while playing the Stones through her Lafayette system. I was a bit preoccupied and don't recall the nuances of the sound.

• 9 years later...

The worst speakers I ever bought were Bose 901s.  

The worst speakers ever owned were part of, no they were, the dowry. Prior to our marriage, she bought a “package deal” system from Pacific Stereo in Chicago. The pedestrian Sherwood receiver and Garrard record changer were paired with some “hecho en Mexico” speakers.  The enclosures were glorified cardboard.  The woofer was 6” with a magnet the size of a quarter.  The tweeter was a 1.5” paper cone.  The network was a single tiny resistor.

She was convinced she got a deal by paying full list for the receiver and the record changer with the weakest link thrown in.

• Like 1

Forte ll's and Heresy l's. 

The funny thing is....when I sold the Forte ll's the guy had all Heritage speakers throughout his house. When I arrived he had Khorns playing powered by a Carver amp. When we hooked up the Fortes for him to demo they sounded great.....better than the Khorns. 

Just goes to show.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Holy Thread Revival, Batman!

But I'll play. In no particular order, here are a few that didn't hang around long.

Aerial Acoustics 7B

Roman Audio Centurion

Usher Audio X-919

Meadowlark Hot Rod Shearwater

Von Schweikert VR2

Man with a name like 'Meadowlark Hot Rod Shearwater' they gotta sound awesome.

.......or not 😋

• Like 1