$7000 setup...any opinions?

DrWho

My brother contacted me earlier today about a friend of his willing to pay me to help him install and choose speakers for his new HT. He's already got the TV and components and all that picked and only wants help with the speaker part (it sounds like all his upstream is denon). Naturally I'm going to suggest Klipsch, but it wouldn't hurt to hear any other opinions you guys might have. So here's what I'm thinking:

Mains: RF-7 ($2000 pair)

Center: RC-7 ($800)

Side Surrounds: RS-7 ($900 pair)

Rear Surrounds: RB-75 ($1200 pair)

Subwoofer: Dual 16-46CS+ Subwoofer Package ($1625)

TOTAL: $6525

RF-7 http://www.barrettshometheater.com/products.cfm?catID=85&prodID=571&cfid=2031763&cftoken=24376425

RC-7 http://www.barrettshometheater.com/products.cfm?catID=85&prodID=580&cfid=2031763&cftoken=24376425

RS-7 http://www.barrettshometheater.com/products.cfm?catID=85&prodID=583&cfid=2031763&cftoken=24376425

RB-75 http://www.barrettshometheater.com/products.cfm?catID=85&prodID=575&cfid=2031763&cftoken=24376425

Dual 16-46CS+ Subwoofer Package http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_csplus_16-46.htm

I know the prices I listed are a bit high, but there's a local Barrett's Home Theater where I'll probably send him to purchase everything. But after taking off about 10%, the taxes will probably bring the overall cost back up. Don't forget that we need to purchase cables as well (which will be cheap...none of this high grade crap).

Anyways, opinions regarding the subwoofer choice would be greatly appreciated and even competing systems from other brands as well. I know that he's currently looking at the Boston Acoustics Reference lineup...

Thanks in advance 1.gif

I actually tried convincing the guy to go with 5.1 or even 6.1 but he's one of those people that's more concerned about saying that he has the ultimate 7.1 surround sound system with awesome this brand and that brand that you've never heard of. I'm actually going to have to convince him that klipsch reference is good because he doesn't like any brands that you can find in bestbuy, circuit city, or any other "normal" store.

Apart from getting paid to do this for him, I'm mostly concerned about hearing an R7 setup for myself. I hope that isn't "wrong" lol 2.gif

Anyways, the system is going into a makeshift bedroom this kid made in his basement...that means low cielings and walls that will probably vibrate like no other. However he does plan on moving to a "bigger house" in Chicago in the near future.

I forgot to mention that he's 50/50 on the Movie/HT scale.

I'm also torn between all RB-75's or all RS-7's for the rears. Which surrounds in 5.1 music get used if you've got a 7.1 rig? Does it use all 7.1 or just the side surrounds?

That system is very simialr to what I own. I might make a couple of suggestions. For a subwoofer, the PB12+2 will out perform the 2 16-46CS+ and not require an external amp ...for less money. I've been there, done that. Secondly, I don't believe that RB75s are necessary for the center backs. State of the art in programming in 6.1/7.1 even in PLIIx does not include a lot of full range information for the center backs. RB25s or 35s or RS 35s will actually do the job very nicely. Set them up as small, just like the side surrounds, which will then redirect the very bottom to the subwoofer. I use a pair of RS3s very successfully in the back, and the wide dispersion of a surround speaker helps make things more "enveloping" for lack of a better term.

With that large a purchase you should do better than 10%. 20% is more realistic. I averaged nearly 27% from an authorized dealer on my Reference purchase, without a lot of haggeling (I was a repeat customer, however). For excellent but inexpensive interconnects go to www.knukonceptz.com. They have 12 ga biwire

speaker cable for $1.41 per foot that is as good as anything out there, even much higher priced. Their excellent eKs silver interconnects are not "cheap" but won't break the bank. Much better value than most out there.

Jerry Rappaport

I agree used Heritage, does not have the same WOW appeal to some who do not understand it but you cannot beat the sound, You could probably get LS Mains and Center and Heresy surrounds for a lot less, maybe $2600 tops plus shipping leaves a lot left over for sub and other toys. Otherwise sure go for it.

I can pretty much guarantee that he won't like the sound of the old horns...they've got too much of a tendency to bring out flaws in recordings and they sound on the bright side.

Just realizing it now...you can get an RSW-15 sub for $1800. I think I might suggest this option instead as I've heard the klipsch subs have less harmonic distortion and are more musical...blah blah blah 2.gif I do kinda like the idea of using 2 subs though (like the SVS model I was originally thinking) because it allows for more creative placement which could help fight room modes.

As far as the room and acoustics go...one of the key factors is that he needs to be able to move the system around easily. Because he'll be moving out, I think he'll be able to live with his room for now and then maybe he might consider treatment at his new place. Even with all the treatment in the world, his small room is still going to sound crappy.

Careful Who,

When making recommendations of this sort, you really want to look after your 'client's' best interests. Warranty, return if he's unhappy etc. Otherwise, you stand a chance of losing a friend and didn't even make any cash for yourself and your trouble.

I'd stay with new. This guy sounds like he would appreciate NIB vs old scratch n dented if he's after wow factor and brands. You're pretty durn safe with Ref7's.

Re surrounds. Those RS speakers were good for ProLogic and side fills. But with todays multi-channel, discrete, full range signals, I'd use the more directional RB's for the rears in particular. Side surrounds for 7.1 can be used if the room size and dimensions can support them, but let's not fill a room with 17.3 (sarcasm) speakers if it's 12x14, right?

Keep $$ aside for cable, room treatment and it's a safe bet.

Michael

If this was a 5.1 system, I'd be more inclined to recommend dipole speakers. However, because there will be so many channels, it is not as necessary to have speakers with such dispersion, so I would say go with RF-7s at the front and RB-75s all around.

Actually, it might not be a bad idea to go with RB-75s ONLY - INCLUDING MAINS. Then stick a nice, clean, side-firing sub (like an RSW-12) under each of the front RB-75s, and you essentially have a 3-way system.

The price would be:

$800 for RC-7,

3x$1200 for 3 pairs of RB-75s,

2x$1300 for each of the RSW-12s

This brings the total to the same $7000

However, this might be better sonically, since both movies and multichannel music like identical speakers all around.

Furthermore, RSW-12 is very well known as a very clean and powerful sub with a tight punch. Just cut the bass to the RB-75s at 60Hz, or even 40Hz, and you'll enjoy very articulate, clean sound, in a package that might be cosmetically superior as well.

My "client" (really just my bro's friend looking for direction) is concerned about having lots of bells and whistles...basically something to brag about. He's very much into car audio, or "high quality" car audio as he likes to put it. I think he's 18 years old and very spoiled because it sounds like he's got a crap load of expensive stuff and gets whatever he wants...He's expecting at least $7000 from Xmas to pay for all of this. He's prefers a "warm accurate" sound "with lots of power." I found it interesting that all the companies he's asked me to look at all provide high quality car audio, so that is probably where his basis for audio comes from. I do know that he has a passionate hate for Bose. My brother tells me that he's talked me up quite a bit to his friend and so he should basically believe anything I tell him. And that's just about all I know about him. I figure I'd share it this way because it's very hard to describe your own tastes let alone someone else's. I also honestly believe I could tell him that something sounds better and he'd agree with me so that he sounds like he's smart too.

Anyways, I do know that I will need to cater to his tastes and I dare say that I'm good at getting someone what they really want. I do this all the time on the side. I do plan on dragging him to the local Hi-Fi audio stores in the area and making him listen to everything and draw his own conclusions and all that before I give my suggestions. I'll also do my best to hide him from the pricetags until we start making decisions 2.gif

I was kinda hoping for suggestions in other brands, or alternative approaches to the setup I suggested (ie, directional versus diffuse surrounds and all that). I hope that he will end up choosing klipsch as I would very much enjoy having the opportunity to tweak around with the R7 series. I didn't mean to come off as wanting to push it hardcore.

I can't back him down off the 7.1 thing even though his room is far too small for it. Like I said..."bells and whistles." What finishes are the R7 series available in? I don't think he's gonna dig the black look. Can you get every speaker in every finish?

DrWho, forgive me ahead of time for any typos or the lack of coherency in my post, as my friend is coming to pick me up in 20 minutes to take me to the airport for my flight.

Funny, this friend of your brothers...sounds a lot like someone I knew in high school too.

This is the autosound system I run, first of all:

Boston Acoustics Pro Series 6.5 Components (2 pairs)

Dual Eclipse DVC Aluminum 15-inch Subs (Sealed box)

Xtant 604x Amp (100 watts x 4)

Xtant 1001x Amp (500 watts x 2)

Alpine IVA-800 LCD Head Unit and Navigation System

Audio Control Three.1 EQ

Optima Deep Cycle Yellowtop Battery

Dual Scoche Lighting Stiffening Capacitators

Pheonix Gold Wiring

This is a pretty darn high quality system, as your client likes to put it. Competition level, for sure. It sounds very similar to Klipsch in my opinion. Whether that's a result of the Boston Acoustics speakers, Xtant amps, or both, is hard to say. However, if he mentions any of the brands listed above in what he deems to be "high quality" autocomponents, then you can be pretty sure he'll enjoy the live, forward nature of Klipsch.

Now since you've stated that his main basis for comparison is drawn from his knowledge in autosound, then clearly, you should take him to audition:

Focal

JBL

Pioneer (maybe)

McIntosh

Polk

Infinity

Boston Acoustics

Dynaudio

Those are, off the top of my head, a few pretty decent to very decent brands that make both car and home audio components. I know I'm missing several, but again, I'm sure he'll know a few more too. I purposely left out Bose, as he's wise enough to know Better Profits Through Deception. But the point is if he thinks any of the aforementioned companies are solid in reputation and product, then he may very well take a liking to their home audio gear as well. Of course, Dynaudio or Focal may require him to up the ante past $7000.

Anyway, sorry if this is convoluted and confusing, but I must be off now before I miss my flight. Good luck bro.

how bout 72 Alpine 6x9's if he digs 'hi-end car audio"??LOL

We're obviously slanted towards Klipsch here and the copper woofer look might be the bell n whistle he needs. Plus the cool horn when you take the grilles off. DEFINETLEY take the grills off for this guy.

I like Meneuge (sp) idea of matching RB75 all around and blowing the extra bucks on more sub. Use directional speaker for rear surrounds and wedges for the sides. if room is small maybe a bi-directional speaker would work better than Klipsch WDST design, since in Bi, NO speaker would be aiming directly toward the listener in the side surround position. Definitive makes some good ones.

Finish wise, I think the top of line Reference is the only one still avail in real wood veneers. Otherwise, back up to the RB5 lineup and you can get BEAUTIFUL natural maple (I have apair of 3II's), or the light cherry (it's not red at all, very rich looking) and this might help the WOW factor. So many manufacturers use vinyl these days and the all-black look only works with the lights out. I like my system to look like fine furniture. Might not impress the 18 year olds, but the 20-somethings like home to look like home.

A significant part of the showy look this guy is looking for will be in the fit and finish of the final installation, furnishings, decor, and the like. How bout a couple of GOLD RECORDS for the wall? chech out worldwidememorabilia.com. It's a good friend of mine here in Indy. Deals in the real stuff. Or an autographed guitar for the wall. Learn about the guy and what makes him tick.

Have fun,

Michael