On 12/15/2004 1:35:08 AM kenratboy wrote:

Hope someone is getting you a better camera for the holidays
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif">

Looks like our place a few weeks ago.

----------------

That was incredibly rude.
----------------
Well he obviously has a nice house. He is an adult and I am sure he didn't loose any sleep.

I take heat all the time for my peasant setup, and that is stuff I bought because I couldn't afford better.

----------------

It was STILL a very crappy thing to say Ken. CMon man! I know you're better than that. If you catch grief over your gear, just tell THEM to buy you something better.... Should shut them right up. 2.gif

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'day from the Upper Ottawa Valley. 16 inches of snow and - 22 celsius or 5 below 0 last night.

A word of caution to any snowmobilers. The snow on top of the lakes and rivers makes them look like they're frozen but they're not. Fellow went through and drowned over by Huntsville on the weekend. So be careful. Hamish

Here in the southern suburbs of Minneapolis we have barely a trace.One thing I do more times than I should is kickin out the a$$ end of my truck and see how long you can control it.

I used to have a 89F150 with the six cylinder,I loved the way I could control my slides with that truck on snow

Im in my low 40s and whenever there is enough snow and lack of traffic,I still find myself puttin it sideways and seeing how long I can slide her 3.gif (2000 Lariat)

And it still puts a big assmile on my face!!

Waiting for snow

Tomski

About 2 hours north of Minneapolis here, about 4 inches on the ground, but then had rain this past Sat night, then winds to 50+ and 20 deg on Sunday, then down to 5 deg Sun night. Made a nice crust on everything, including the roads. Most are down to asphalt again, but some of the ones I travel to and from work are shaded, been a skating rink the last couple days. 42 today helped, but supposed to be back down to 0-10 deg F this weekend. Lake finally finished freezing over though, near as I can tell, pretty dark when I leave in the am, and full night by the time I get home. Will be out this weekend checking thickness at least out to the first depth breakline, might try and drop some 1/32 oz jigs for panfish just for fun. Unfortunatly, when the lake froze over by the house it was windy, not going to be very good for ice skating for my wife and daughter. I would skate too, but they don't sell hockey skates in a size 15 w/o special order, and I ain't gonna spend $400 to skate 3-4 times a year. I got a listening room to build!!!

----------------

On 12/15/2004 10:09:28 AM popbumper wrote:

Snow? We don't need no stinkin' snow - yesterday it was 55 degrees, this morning 28 degrees...no biggie - this past weekend it was 72 degrees on Sunday, with clear blue skies....

Ah, Texas: where winter is like some people's Summer.....

Popbumper

----------------

Where in Texas are you? This morning it was cold... I never warmed up either... Heh, Sunday was nice :P

----------------

On 12/15/2004 9:14:51 PM dinomyt wrote:

Chardon Ohio - In the heart of Lake Erie's snow belt
8.gif

----------------

Well I'll be. We get alot of the Lake Erie snow effect also. It's probally not much different were you live than were I live. I have been near Erie when they get those ice storms. That is wild! It's actually quite phenominal to look at. Everything just froze over like it's coated in glass.

----------------

On 12/15/2004 10:54:35 PM wheelman wrote:

I have been near Erie when they get those ice storms. That is wild! It's actually quite phenominal to look at. Everything just froze over like it's coated in glass.

----------------

Ohh, we get those a lot here in Virginia. Gotta admit, it does look pretty cool, seeing everything coated in ice like that - just like you said, coated in glass. But, ho-boy, you do not want to get caught out driving in one of those! I'll never forget that one time trying to get home from work. Accidents everywhere. Could not go more than say, 35 mph, if even that! Go any faster, and you were just asking for trouble. The rain was freezing to the windshield faster than the wipers can get it off. I remember having to pull over to clean the ice off the windshield about halfway home. The next day, did not even try to go into work. Felt sorry for the police and tow-trucks that had to respond to those accidents.

Skonopa It wasn't intentional that's for sure. Just happened to drive into it the ice storm they had the night before. I am thinking. Very dangerous stuff. Heck I remember driving home back from Erie when you couldn't see an inch in front of you it would be snowing so bad. You would just have to pull over at times. But not for to long it's pretty scary when a semi is behind you, and if you can't see I am sure they can't see you pulled over. It can be tricky. Should I stay or should I go? Quite a mind game. That lake effect definetly makes a difference the closer you get to it.

Rdmarsiii:

From Richardson, Texas, just North of Dallas. We do get the occasional ice storm and snow (had one snow last winter, about 3 inches, melted off the same day), but had enough time to build a snow fort for the kiddo...!

Wheelman:

Having grown up in Erie, Pa., I can certainly comprehend the dangers and trials associated with the "Lake Erie effect" snows. Of course, as kids, we just loved the big snows and would spend many hours in it until our hands and feet actually HURT as we warmed up inside afterwards. It was there I also learned to drive, and can recall the succinct joy of dragging the battery charger out to my 1966 Comet (first car) whose electrical system was particularly, er.., "sensitive" to the cold weather.

Nowadays I laugh (actually, duck and cover) at the locals who have difficulty driving in RAIN. These guys would NEVER survive a world of salt trucks, snow tires, chains, rusty fenders, sunny "5 degree" days, and requisite potholes.

Popbumper

Popbumper you definetly lived in Erie. Yep we used to sled ride till we couldn't move our hands. They would be completely paralized. Trying for dear life to unzip our coats when we got home. I remember the neighborhood homes would leave lights on so we could see for night sled riding ( The ultimate ). Their was always that home that had the killer hill.

I tried some cross country sking when I got older. Talk about a cardial workout! It's easier to walk if you have nothing but hills around. If anyone wants a complete cardial workout this is it. I mean the real thing. Talking about all this snow makes me wish I had a snowmobile. Now that would be nice.

Yeah, I can remember my childhood in CT and NY state...snow was great for awhile (especially on Christmas morning). But I also remember shoveling it, delivering 150 newspapers in it (tied to a tobogan), missing school and work because of it (oh...darn), and later driving in it!

Which is why I live in sunny Florida now.10.gif

Got Snow? Well, we do now, although it is only about an inch or two. Kinda hard to get a good picture in the dark, though. Also, I did not want to spend to much time futzing around with the camera to get a better picture. It is friggan cold out there! We have 20 to 30 mph winds, with 40-50 mph gusts right now. The windchill is right around zero or lower. That is friggan cold for this area (although I've seen worse when living in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania)! And yes, I actually did go skiing today (my first time out for the season, on a brand new pair of skis), althbough I did not stay out long, since it was getting so damn cold and windy. The cold I can deal with, but that wind just cuts right through you, regardless of just how good of outdoor gear you have on!

backyard-snow.jpg

The temperature fell all day yesterday and last night. This morning it is -7 degrees F, and that's with no wind chill figured in (there doesn't appear to be any). That was something like a 40 degree drop over a 24-hour period. The TV weatherman said it originated in Siberia.

Yeah it got like 20 below last night easily, and then the power went out. My heater don't work when the power goes out. So that was a trip. Thank God it came back on that was about the worst time it could ever go out. I have a gas stove so that helps in a stituation like that. You really have to be prepared all year round. Got to have the candles, and a corded phone for emergencies as long as the phone lines aren't down. I learned from it happening every year your cordless phone don't work when the power is out LOL. Skonopa way cool that you get to ski.

Yeah. Just heard that we're looking at a high of maybe 5 below for Thurs. At least it's only supposed to be blowing 20-30.

We have a wood burning fireplace in our new house, has a blower in addition. Even without electricity, I know we'll stay warm if we do have an extended power outage, had it up to 80+ before our electricity was hooked up. Granted, it was only like 20 outside, but I really wasn't trying to stoke it real hard, either. If need be, I bet I could keep it warm inside when it's -30 outside with just the fireplace. Having a lot of insulation helps. (Are you listening colter?) GET ER DONE!!