Got snow?

wheelman

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOCAL INDIANAPOLIS WEATHER (home of Klipsch, doncha know?)

Overnight Wednesday we received 5-8 inches in metro area. Outlying areas just two counties to the east and south got 17" in a 24 hour period and are shut down by law enforcement. (that's Rush county, where I used to live- whew). Blowing and drifting plus single digit temps over next few days make traffic a mess. Folks, this is a LOT of snow for our area. City may keep up but it's going to be a battle. Saw TV news this am with a salt truck spun off the road on Meridian St.

Looks like a white Christmas here. Good thing I got groceries and borrowed a friends LOTR series of DVD's. Something like 14 hours to watch.

Best advice- stay home and listen to Klipsch..

Michael

LOCAL ROCHESTER, NY REGION: 0646 hours

RAIN, slush, live near Airport, know sounds of engines, Full Power to slowly take off, using most of runway.

Just came in from shoveling slop that's there. LMAO, as I hear people on radio say IF it freezes.

NO, WHEN it freezes, does your vehicle have skates?

And for visual effect, picture wringing water out of water-resistant winter coat jacket.

dodger7.gif

Yeah, these can be tough times. I used to drive the New York State Thruway in times of snow. And the interstates into southern Illinois and, once, north of Minneapolis. White out conditions are not nice if you have the road to yourself. When the semi's are out, I'd keep back far enough that they cleared the way but not so close I'd get in the mix-up.

It is down in the single digits in ORD land. The killer is that salt stops working at about zero. I think Mr. Farenheight (sp) picked zero as that temperature of a saturated brine solution. Below that, you've got solid salt and solid water. Much of the road clearing work relies on salt. So negative numbers signal a big problem.

You may think that city dwellers with reliable public transportation have it easy. Not so. If you're standing at a bus stop downtown near the big buildings, the winds, and thus wind chills, are far worse than what the weather bureau reports. We're in "Ice Station Zebra" conditions.

I have to wonder about Dallas. The "High Five" is now open at Central and the LBJ. Big ramps like the freeways in L.A. In an ice storm, they are going to be the luge (sp) run for cars.

One old family story from N.Y.C. In one particularly bad winter in the early 1900's everything was shut down. But people got home by walking across the frozen East River.

Keep warm,

Gil

The problem with the picture has nothing to do with the quality of the camera. Most camera light meters are based on a 17% average gray scale. So, when a camera get's pointed at a lot of very white snow, it "thinks" that it is 17% gray and sets the shutter speed and f-stop accordingly, hence the bright white snow looks gray.

If you understand this you can make adjustments by opening up 2 stops, or on many cameras they have a special adjustment for snow or beach scenes to adjust for this.

The camera's fine, it was a just a simple snapshot.

Gil:

Funny you mention Dallas (I live very close) - yesterday we had about two inches of snow; last evening at 6 PM it was 28 degrees and the local news showed semi trucks stranded on the high five bridges, waiting for the SAND trucks to help them out, since everything was "neatly iced". For those not in the know, the infrequent snows here do not mandate stockpiles of salt and appropriate equipment, so the city runs sand trucks - to help traction. Yeah, right, the metro area had no less than 106 accidents by 10 PM!

This morning it is sunny and cold (18 degrees F) - certainly not substantial in comparison to the north, but cold for this area. Of course, the Monday after Christmas, it's supposed to be 60 degrees.

Merry Christmas, all, snow white or not!

Popbumper

Popbumper... I used to live in Garland. Being from Michigan I used to get a chcukle every time I would see a vehicle with chains on their tires, because there was a little snow on the ground. Heck, I remember once it getting close to or below zero, so they closed the schools!

Garland? I am in Richardson, just over the Garland line. Yup, hilarious stuff - my FAVORITE quips on Dallas weather:

1)People from here can't drive in RAIN - so I would never expect them to drive in snow or ice.

2) The corporate super-hype of the TV news personalities, who at impending weather fronts are known to say things like "DANGEROUS COLD" and "DEADLY TEMPERATURES" (whenever the temperature approaches 32 degrees); and impending "FREEZE WARNINGS", where they feature local plumbing experts who expound on the absolute need to wrap your outdoor spigots at the premise of busted pipes.

Man, these people do NOT know what cold temperatures are, nor what real winter weather is like....

Popbumper

We're right in the midst of the blizzard here in Ohio. I don't know what the official snowfall measurement is, but it looks like a foot or so. I had to push against three foot drifts to get the doors open enough just to squeeze through and then shovel away the rest. Jasmine is sinking in the snow every step she takes. There's just a thin layer of ice mixed in.

It's a level 2 snow emergency, so no one is supposed to be out on the roads without a really good reason. Two nearby towns have lost their power.

picnic.jpg

sunkjas.jpg

What town you in Paul? Looks like Indy today. About 8 inches on my flat drive, but understand about 30 miles south it's 12-15 with some counties closed. Guess I'll shovel and while, then pay the guys the $75 or so to plow my long, curved driveway. The joys of city life. In the country, my neighbor with a backhoe would just come over and do it for a cup of coffee. At least the grocery is close in case of a real emergency, it's about a 6 block walk.

popbumper,

I had to travel to Minneapolis the week before Christmas a few years ago. I got a cab to take me from the airport to my downtown hotel just as an ice storm was commencing. After a few miles, I remarked to the cab driver about all the cars in the ditch. "Aw, these damn people don't know how to drive on ice, " he said. This was in Minneapolis! Go figure.

My conclusion: an inability to drive on ice must be a universal truism of the human condition.

And that old saw "if you don't like the weather in Texas, just wait and it'll change." Heard it on the Maine coast, too.

Merry Christmas to all!

Your conclusion: an inability to drive on ice must be a universal truism of the human condition....

IS a truth, though it's not the DRIVING, it's the HANDLING. I agree nobody can really "drive on ice", but handling the vehicle PROPERLY under maladroit conditions is the key...

...get your foot OFF the gas

...turn the wheel OPPOSITE of the "drift direction"

...put into a lower gear to "drag" the system down

...keep speed down in the FIRST place

...perhaps an additional truism to consider:"icy conditions only exacerbate existing bad driving habits"....

Popbumper9.gif

----------------

On 12/23/2004 6:55:41 AM dodger wrote:

And for visual effect, picture wringing water out of water-resistant winter coat jacket.

----------------

I know what you mean! It is friggan pouring here! I was wondering where the heck that hurricane came from, the way the rain and wind kicked up here!

After how cold it was this past weekend, now, it was pushing upper 50's, low 60's. Supposed to get cold again over the Christmas weekend, and then warm right back up into the 50's and 60's. Needless to say, that snow in that picture I posted is already long gone. Sure sucks for the skiing conditions.

----------------

On 12/23/2004 12:31:42 PM paulparrot wrote:

----------------

On 12/23/2004 11:03:55 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

What town you in Paul?

----------------

Mansfield.

The official Parrot measurement, taken of the snow on top of the picnic table, is 15 inches.

----------------

Manfield, eh? I've spent a short while in Westerville, just on the north-eastern side of Columbus. I've skiied at that little ski area (Snow Trails) near there on a few occasions.

Now it has stopped raining. However, the wind is blowing so hard it's unreal. I just heard the first plane in an hour.

Usually can read the numbers.

In the posts above they're talking about Texas.

I was the in the Worthington, Fort Woth for a Crime Prevention Conference.

Funniest thing was everybody taking pictures of a Mesquite Cruiser. Went around Plano, to Dallas. Did not eat Lamb fry!

dodger

You KNOW your state is in trouble when they call out the National Guard and you make the Today show. Heard this morning. I-65 North SOuth between Indy and Louisville is at a standstill. Troops called out to clear traffic.

A 40 (yes FORTY) mile traffic jam because even semi's could not negotiate the treacherous conditions. One motorist said it to 7 1/2 hours to travel 70 miles. Yesterday's 20 inches of snow, coupled with sub-zero temps overnight and predicted for next couple of days, pretty much put the southern half of state at standstill.

Here in Indy, we're lucky to be able to get around. Hope Amy's safely at home with baby.

Stay warm, gang!

Michael