Wire is wire or is it?

Cal Blacksmith

Go ahead Mark, tell the story. I mean, it's been 30 years, and I'm sure the guys you did it to don't frequent this forum.

I did something different using a Kimber power cord. I installed it into the toaster, and sure enough -- all the kids perferred the toast done with the stock power cord.

When I first started going online reviewing gear,I eventually came upon all the speaker wire sites.

I made a 27pr CAT6 cable,a 2pair coax with the braiding of one twisted with the center conductor of the other.

The CAT6 was a real pain ,took about 12 hours to twist

I bought my AVR in 02,at that time I also bought some Monster cable for the 7.1 option,It was the preterminated style in the flat disc like package

I assumed it was the standard monster 12awg,I remember looking at the jacket/tubing and it looked like there was more jacket and less copper.

The ends were covered with Monsters standard red/black rubber boots and since they were new I didnt want to damage them by peeling/removing them

When, after about 2 weeks of at least 50 hours reading and reveiwing I came across this site.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

I then peeled/removed the rubber boots and realized it was more like 16awg and cheap crimp-on ends 15.gif

I then went to Home Depot and made 2 10ft foot 8awg wire sets

I went from 20ft 16awg to 10ft 8awg and with short y crimp on ends

I really want to believe in high end wire/power cables,I have never found any PROOF that they are better though.

Since they are shorter and much thicker I think thats why Im at least as happy with the sound as with any of my Monstercable purchases

Tomski

I use short (2 feet from monoblock to speaker) 24 gauge solid copper with a simple plastic coat. These are independent separate strands, not two wires stuck in parallel. The short length minimizes the resistance, the solid wire reduces the skin effect, the separate strands minimizes capacitance, and the small gauge is supposed to preserve the high frequencies and not effect the resistance too much if the lengths are short (see 2 ft above).

----------------

On 12/15/2004 2:25:26 PM NOSValves wrote:

Yup I find power cords laughable just pull the fuse out of your piece of gear and lay it beside the garden hose cord and explain why a high rent cord makes a difference. I think I'm going to have to develop a "Audiophile Fuse" with internal gold conductor and end contacts. I bet I could get $100 a piece at the very least.

Craig

----------------

I take my fuses out and wrap em in foil.2.gif

The short length minimizes the resistance...

True, but you're already minimizing something that almost isn't there to begin with. 12 AWG is 1.5 ohms per 1000 feet. That's .0015 ohms of resistance per foot. Figure your average run of 12 feet, .018 ohms. Tell me true -- you think you can hear 2/100ths of an ohm of resistance?

BTW, 24 AWG is 25.67 ohms per 1000 feet. That's 17 times more resistance than if you were using 12 AWG.

...the solid wire reduces the skin effect...

Not at audio frequencies. It's complete BS. You need to get into the Megahertz range before it even becomes a factor.

...the separate strands minimizes capacitance...

But also drives up inductance. There is a reason speaker cable pairs are "married" together.

...and the small gauge is supposed to preserve the high frequencies and not effect the resistance too much if the lengths are short...

Nope.

I use razerwire powercord for a sharper sound. Why? Because I get my power from a Atomic power plant in southern Missouri that gives off too mutch after glow. I also wrap the power chord in lead to protect from ambient radiation.